Did the Packers slip up in round two ?

OneTwoSixFive

10 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I wasn't a fan of Josh Jackson at 14 overall.  If he is as good as advertised, the CB group should be good for the foreseeable future.  It looks to me like the long term future is King-Alexander-Jackson as our primary CBs with your UDFA types fighting for CB spots 4-6.  Tramon and House are like training wheels, not in the long term plan, but help to get things going at the beginning.

I will actually advocate for not drafting a WR at all anymore.  Since the departure of Mike Sherman, the only WR drafted in the 3rd or later that had an impact was James Jones.  Here is the list of WRs taken by the Packers after the second round:

Craig Bragg, Corey Rodgers, James Jones, David Clowney, Brett Swain, Charles Johnson, Kevin Dorsey, Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Ty Montgomery, Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey, Malachai Dupre.

Aside from James Jones, only Charles Johnson has more career receiving yards than the undrafted Geronimo Allison* and Jarrett Boykin.  None of Johnson's yards are for the Packers.  Some of these guys did contribute to special teams, but I am going to assume that is not the area of the team that the idea of adding WRs was proposed for.  Maybe Trevor Davis breaks out for the Packers this season, maybe they find Donald Driver 2.0 in the 7th.  History is against them though.  

*Ty Montgomery has about 200 more receiving yards than Allison, some of that has come as a RB.

woof. That is an ugly list...

Ultimately, you should pick the best player so if he was the top of the board then it was probably the right pick.

The defence has got to step now though to justify such a heavy investment over the last 2 years. Realistically you have to expect a significant regression on offense over the next few years. Rodgers is ageing now after injuries so you can't expect him to carry an offense that has had no significant picks on it for two years. Unless we hit the jackpot on late round picks - the talent level and depth outside of Rodgers looks very weak at the moment and what talent we do have there is getting old. Geronimo is starting receiver and its going to be plug the O line with UDFAs and late picks and hope for the best. Tight Ends are ageing and in decline, not very good or both. Running back is probably the only area that looks OK as we got lucky with the late round swings last year.

To justify the moves, the defence doesn't just need to be 'fixed' it needs to be one of the better defences in the league and the team's strength.

22 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I wasn't a fan of Josh Jackson at 14 overall.  If he is as good as advertised, the CB group should be good for the foreseeable future.  It looks to me like the long term future is King-Alexander-Jackson as our primary CBs with your UDFA types fighting for CB spots 4-6.  Tramon and House are like training wheels, not in the long term plan, but help to get things going at the beginning.

I will actually advocate for not drafting a WR at all anymore.  Since the departure of Mike Sherman, the only WR drafted in the 3rd or later that had an impact was James Jones.  Here is the list of WRs taken by the Packers after the second round:

Craig Bragg, Corey Rodgers, James Jones, David Clowney, Brett Swain, Charles Johnson, Kevin Dorsey, Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Ty Montgomery, Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey, Malachai Dupre.

Aside from James Jones, only Charles Johnson has more career receiving yards than the undrafted Geronimo Allison* and Jarrett Boykin.  None of Johnson's yards are for the Packers.  Some of these guys did contribute to special teams, but I am going to assume that is not the area of the team that the idea of adding WRs was proposed for.  Maybe Trevor Davis breaks out for the Packers this season, maybe they find Donald Driver 2.0 in the 7th.  History is against them though.  

*Ty Montgomery has about 200 more receiving yards than Allison, some of that has come as a RB.

This is why I hated all the mocks that had us drafting all defence then trying to plug WR in the 5th round. Definition of insanity keep doing the same thing and hoping for different results.

Ultimately you have to take what the board gives you and if Jackson was top of the board then so be it but I think we really needed a receiver early. And really if you are drafting properly, you want to be drafting Cobb's replacement as well.

We've made our bed now and its on the defence now - can't expect the passing game to carry the team when Geronimo is starting and the line is held together UDFAs

34 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Don't like that mentality, you don't not draft a position because you havent drafted well at that position in the past.

I guess if we’re throwing out options, or second guessing Gute (which is fine), here’s how I would’ve rolled in the first two days:

Round 1:  stay at 14 and pick Edmunds

Round 2:  Jackson

Round 3:  Gallup

Three areas of need are drafted with BPA in play as well.  Added bonus of still having first pick today.  Don’t have extra first round pick for next year, but I’m not worried about next year - I’m worried about now.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

If this was Ted I'd be concerned. Gute's going to go get Dez, Maclin or a June 1 cut to play the #2 on a 1 year deal. I have almost 100% confidence in that, he's not going to toss Allison out there as #2.

Definitely agree with this.

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

Agreed. They're gonna add somebody post-draft on a 1yr deal and then we'll see them go WR early in the draft next year, perhaps with one of their 2 1st rd picks. I wouldn't be surprised if we see them continue to go defense today in the draft. This team had/has a lot of holes and they weren't gonna fix everything in one offseason. Get that defense right this year and fill out offensive holes with stop-gap options post draft and then focus on offense in next years draft

Great posts. I totally agree with everything you said there. Josh Jackson was a steal at 45. Honestly, that was the one player I was hoping you guys wouldn’t get. Coming away with Alexander, Jackson, AND a 1st for next year makes Gute seem like a magician. That’s one heck of a job. 

Maybe I'm a little bit of a pessimist, but I've accepted that this roster has more holes than can be filled in a single draft. After the way injuries have gone through our secondary the past few years, i think they are completely justified with taking Alexander, Jackson, and a cover LB. 

Next year, when the Saints go 0-16, we'll draft the top pass rusher.

27 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I guess if we’re throwing out options, or second guessing Gute (which is fine), here’s how I would’ve rolled in the first two days:

Three areas of need are drafted with BPA in play as well.  Added bonus of still having first pick today.  Don’t have extra first round pick for next year, but I’m not worried about next year - I’m worried about now.

Alternatively ... we could have traded next year's 1st for a 2nd this year 

So you are back where you started for next year and this year you get Alexander, WR, Jackson, Burks.  Draft OL with your 4th rounder and the draft looks closer to being balanced, you still get your 2 premium corners and can take a swing at a TE and OLB in the 5th.

38 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

4 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Alternatively ... we could have traded next year's 1st for a 2nd this year 

So you are back where you started for next year and this year you get Alexander, WR, Jackson, Burks.  Draft OL with your 4th rounder and the draft looks closer to being balanced, you still get your 2 premium corners and can take a swing at a TE and OLB in the 5th.

I like that option also, mainly because I could care less about getting the Saints 1st next year.  Don’t get me wrong - it’s cool to have two picks in the first round, but we need solid bodies NOW.  So yes, your scenario is good, and gets us two picks in the second.

11 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I like that option also, mainly because I could care less about getting the Saints 1st next year.  Don’t get me wrong - it’s cool to have two picks in the first round, but we need solid bodies NOW.  So yes, your scenario is good, and gets us two picks in the second.

Saints pick could also still be used in a trade for a player yet too, although not likely. Stranger things have happened.

Not as worried about WR with Davante and Cobb and a cast of thousands. All else fails, Ty can move back outside too. Matter of fact, I'd prefer it..

46 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

On the old packerchatters board i used to start a post-mock mock. You could refuse to do any trade Gute did (but you couldn't make up a trade). Your pick choices are who is available in the actual draft at that pick. Think I'll start a thread on that after this draft has finished..........unless someone else routinely does that here.

Archived