4(107). Chris Herndon IV, TE, Miami

NewAge

On 4/28/2018 at 12:58 PM, Bobby816 said:

Why.... bc TE we have youth at. Leggett and Hodges do exactly what this guy does.

At RB what do we have? Powell is 30. Rawls is below average. McGuire isn’t anything special. Crowell is the only one worth talking about with any kind of youth and skill. In a league that you need 3 RBs for depth I’d love to see our group be Crowell, a rookie and McGuire. Powell and Rawls shouldn’t have any holding power on this roster imo.

My point was we have players  and not an immediate need. .  Powell is a nice player with low mileage.  Rawls  and McGuire are both under 25.  Crowell will be a solid starter for a couple of years.  Therefore, RB can be a position we address in the next 2-3 drafts to find a bell cow guy. 

I've said this to you before, Rome was not built in a day.  We have a QB now and I am SURE Macc will start upgrading skill positions on offense if the guys we currently have don't breakout.  RB is the position you can find a contributor fairly easy. 

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

This guy may end up being good, but regardless I feel like we'll look back and think passing on Dorance Armstrong was a mistake

So much for a Macc saying he drafts a pass rusher every year.

16 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

This guy may end up being good, but regardless I feel like we'll look back and think passing on Dorance Armstrong was a mistake

Yeah, I think Herndon might be my second favorite pick (after Darnold) but Armstrong would have been nice. 

The Jets drafted based on who they had rated highest on the board with these later picks. Its why the Jets had a lot of players who were projected to go much earlier.  Some say that Herndon is a better overall TE than his teammate that went to the Browns. 

13 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

The Jets drafted based on who they had rated highest on the board with these later picks. Its why the Jets had a lot of players who were projected to go much earlier.  Some say that Herndon is a better overall TE than his teammate that went to the Browns. 

I've definitely come around on this guy and I agree getting talent around the QB is paramount, but I just think we're going to look back at this draft and regret passing on Armstrong. Hopefully Herndon proves me wrong and has a George Kittle-esq. impact as a rookie. 

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I've definitely come around on this guy and I agree getting talent around the QB is paramount, but I just think we're going to look back at this draft and regret passing on Armstrong. Hopefully Herndon proves me wrong and has a George Kittle-esq. impact as a rookie. 

I am a bit surprised about the Armstrong love.  I came away from his game tape super unimpressed.  He seemed so sluggish to me.  The guy i see when i watch Armstrong is Mauldin.  Oddly they had similar combine performances, and similar college stats, with Mauldin getting the edge in sacks.  

It is tough to find a legit edge guy in the 4th round, in fact i just went through the top 30 in sacks from this past year, and it was shocking how earlier the guys were picked, compared to the RB leaders board it is WAY more high picks.  There were 4 guys taken in the 4th or later out of the top 30, 2 of those were undrafted.  

TE's however can be found much later.  A good portion of the productive TE's were found in the 3rd or 4th round on.  

Herndon looks pretty promising and has a decent chance to develop into a legit starting TE, I think Dorance and the other 4th round and later Edges have a pretty small chance of being something with the exception of guys like Sweat who fell for medical reasons but have the physical tools to make it happen.

Been digging into Herndon a bit. He excels in the short to intermediate space. That's Darnold's bread and butter area. Seems like Herndon will be a good match for Darnold. I see him as an athletic ASJ. Basically, a good safety blanket but with run after the catch abilities. 

10 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Been digging into Herndon a bit. He excels in the short to intermediate space. That's Darnold's bread and butter area. Seems like Herndon will be a good match for Darnold. I see him as an athletic ASJ. Basically, a good safety blanket but with run after the catch abilities. 

Really tough to bring down too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived