44 members have voted

1. 1. More likely?

• Josh Gordon and Antonio Calloway both stay clean
    • One gets suspended and one plays entire season
    • Gordon connects Calloway to his dealer; both get popped
    • Hornby

Just now, MistaBohmbastic said:

Patches helped me tremendously.

Tried those but for me it is more routine than nicotine, I think.

Punching holes in the routines gave me my first big step down.

Fact is that I very much enjoy smoking.

33 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

My advice is man up and quit cold turkey.

I tried to help my mom quit smoking when I was younger and I came up with a gradual plan. She started out smoking over 2 packs a day of Reds and I had gotten her down to a Ultra Light and 1 pack an entire week. I was a young kid and thought she was doing great and then she dropped at work one morning and died the next morning because of a brain aneurysm caused by a combination of thinning blood vessel walls and high blood pressure both of which I am 100% certain were caused by smoking. 

Kudos to you for trying to get your mom to stop smoking, I'm sorry that it didn't work out.  I am worried myself that it's going to come back around to bite my Dad, but never really felt comfortable telling him he should stop.

43 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

My advice is man up and quit cold turkey.

Agreed. My wife used to smoke 2-2.5 packs a day when we were first together. She tried slowly reducing that amount on numerous occasion with no success. When she found out she was pregnant with our first son she stopped cold turkey and never went back to smoking afterwards.

42 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Yeah me too, that is a big part of the problem. When I was at a pack or a little over a pack a day I'd have issues going to  sporting events and not having a smoke for a few hours but since I cut down it doesn't really bother me at all. I'm definitely less dependent on them now and could probably quit without a homicide but I do still enjoy them. They are bad for ya, I think it's a little exaggerated depending on the amount of abuse but it's definitely a negative. My dad just had a triple bypass in January and he was a 2+ pack per day man for 60 years. He quit cold turkey 2 weeks before his bypass because the Dr. told him it would increase his chances of survival and the time it took to recover. His kidneys had a hard time filtering out the anesthesia so it wasn't a speedy recovery because of that but he is back to shooting pool occasionally and still not smoking. He does use an E-Cig with the lowest nicotine level but i'm happy with that at this point, he is doing well. Still, odds are you will live longer as a smoker at a normal weight than a non-smoker who is obese yet we celebrate food and damn smokers, seems like a double standard.

Also at 45 and I'm supposed to be playing softball this summer on top of the college flag football league in the fall so I probably should cut down even more. You don't want to have a pro scout see ya smoking it might ruin my chance at a pro career.

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

Tried those but for me it is more routine than nicotine, I think.

Punching holes in the routines gave me my first big step down.

Totally agree. The oral fixation is just as great. But with the patches, there was still a sense of fulfilment, and a comfort knowing that I didn't *need* the nicotine fix. Still wanted to smoke, but it wasn't nearly as nervewracking.

My dad quit using Chantix. Supposedly it rewires your brain so that you just don't like smoking anymore. And youre supposed to smoke while you take it.

One of my Colleagues used to work in addiction. The age someone starts using drugs or alcohol.to cope is where there ability to cope stops developing. 

The problem with a marijuana addiction isn’t the substance affect on the body. But the users inability to be a proper adult and deal with their problems.

One thing no one has mentioned, has he already earned himself a time out from the nfl for failing the test at the combine?

Also, for those wanting to quit cigarettes but struggling, I have the method that will work for you.  But it does require a complete commitment and resolve to stick with the process and not cheat.  The process will let you smoke for as long as you like.  The thing is, you won’t be able to.  Here is how it works.  Get a small, clean glass jar.  Inside of this jar you will place the most vile thing imaginable to you (within reason, safety first after all).  You may choose a few slices of rotten potato, a rotten cut up hard boiled egg, or even a bit of rotting meat.  As long as it’s disgusting with a very strong smell.  You will keep your jar with you, 24/7.  It stays tightly sealed at all times EXCEPT for when you are having a smoke.  When you smoke, after each and every puff on your cigarette, you immediately open your jar and take a huge huff from it through your mouth and immediately close it back right to keep all of the rotten goodness inside of it.  Stick with it a week.  Don’t cheat.  You will quit.

13 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Oh, and I think Gordon is going to try and help Callaway become less of a ruhTard. At least that's my hope. I really think Gordon would also benefit from mentoring a young kid like Callaway. It'd give him an added sense of responsibility and might make him less likely to fall back into bad habits as he talked out his own issues with Antonio.

But yeah, I don't have high hopes for the character of Callaway. He seems like the kind of dude you see on The First 48. I hope I'm wrong about him, but I'm ok with the pick even if I'm not, because of that ridiculous upside.

My worry is the rotten apple spoils the barrel and having these 2 guys around could take down a couple of our vets along with each other. Not a good combination to have on your team.

Just now, Iamcanadian said:

My worry is the rotten apple spoils the barrel and having these 2 guys around could take down a couple of our vets along with each other. Not a good combination to have on your team.

Exactly.  I think Gordon’s biggest issue all along has not been the weed, but the company that he keeps.  He is fine when he is not around it, but if he is with people that are doing it, he can’t resist.  I worry this young kid being around Gordon could lead to bad things.

9 hours ago, bruceb said:

How about substituting a hookah?

For me smoking was smoking, until I quit I still had the urge, and that sucks.

Get through that first week and you’re golden.

On a side note, don’t think you can “just have one” after you stop.  You can’t.  You’ll be buying a pack before you know it.

9 hours ago, bruceb said:

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah me too

Every smoker does.

This is graphic, and I do apologize, but working bedside as an RN caring ENT patients who had extensive head and neck cancer and this is what they’d look like after they had surgery.

PMC3546399_0392-100X-32-329-g005.png 

Looking at that hat every day at work and seeing people trying to breathe through a trach is what finally motivated me that the effort was worth it.

10 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

If you don't think he's already around people that smoke all the time, you're crazy. He was living with freaking pillhead Johnny while still passing drug tests. Plus, I'd be willing to bet at least 50% of the players in the NFL smoke weed regularly. It's actually really easy to pass drug tests in the NFL if you're smart and haven't been popped before.

10 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Exactly.  I think Gordon’s biggest issue all along has not been the weed, but the company that he keeps.  He is fine when he is not around it, but if he is with people that are doing it, he can’t resist.  I worry this young kid being around Gordon could lead to bad things.

Again, disagree. Gordon's around it all the time. Hell, most of the people on planet earth associate with less than reputable people. I don't think he's that freaking weak that some 21 year old rookie that will have zero respect from the veterans is going to be the undoing of Josh Gordon's sobriety.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Every smoker does.

This is graphic, and I do apologize, but working bedside as an RN caring ENT patients who had extensive head and neck cancer and this is what they’d look like after they had surgery.

Looking at that hat every day at work and seeing people trying to breathe through a trach is what finally motivated me that the effort was worth it.

I'm going to throw up.

thank you.

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Every smoker does.

I work in Gen Med. in New Zealand it costs 22 nzd for a pack of 20 cigarettes. Most people can’t afford a pack a day habbit. 

It has changed our population of patients, no more barrel chested granny’s panting like dogs. No more skinny old men taking a breath every 2 seconds. 

We have also shut 20 cardio beds. 

Smoking is awful at a population level. Next we just need to get a fat tax.

note this is my city. We have more than 1 hospital in New Zealand 

Archived