4.09 (109) Washington Redskins select Troy Apke, S, Penn State

Woz

USATSI_10301852.jpg

This one looks to be a bit controversial. On one hand, his combine numbers are impressive (4.34 40). On the other, only one year of starting and there are bigger holes that could have been addressed.

Just now, Woz said:

This one looks to be a bit controversial. On one hand, his combine numbers are impressive (4.34 40). On the other, only one year of starting and there are bigger holes that could have been addressed.

Backup safety was a big hole IMO.  

Mike Martz coached him at the NFLPA game (which he was voted game MVP) and said he was the best player that has EVER coached in that game.

That's some pretty high praise from an NFL coach. He said the kid has a lot of upside and all the players there loved him. He will be a great locker room guy for us. Still think a little early but he will definitely be a gunner on special teams.

If the Skins keep Moreau as one gunner and put Apke at the other we will have a crapload of speed covering punts. That's his floor in my opinion.

This is a gamble pick. Had the Redskins addressed the starting left guard position beyond rumors of moving Nsekhe there, I would be okay with it.

Still, I guess it has some upside to it.

59 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Also we didn't retain Niles Paul, so this guy should be a good replacement as a gunner on ST.

TOtally agree with your two points about the need for depth at safety and his special teams ability which we need with Paul being gone.

I like his versatility as a safety too.

36 minutes ago, Eric said:

Mike Martz coached him at the NFLPA game (which he was voted game MVP) and said he was the best player that has EVER coached in that game.

That's some pretty high praise from an NFL coach. He said the kid has a lot of upside and all the players there loved him. He will be a great locker room guy for us. Still think a little early but he will definitely be a gunner on special teams.

If the Skins keep Moreau as one gunner and put Apke at the other we will have a crapload of speed covering punts. That's his floor in my opinion.

Agreed, great point.

I'm with you Woz, we need a guard. Pretty decent everywhere else except ILB. There's still a few guards left if we can get one that would have a chance to come in and start. Crosby, Jamarco Jones and Teller

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Backup safety was a big hole IMO.  

This. It was an absolute mess on the back end last season when Nicholson went out. 

I like Deshazor Everett, but only in his very specific, limited role. A guy with at least the physical ability and potential to roam the deep third is a plus.  

4 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

guys nseke is moving to guard, STOP ASKING ABOUT IT

1. This hasn't been confirmed.
  2. He's 32, and will be 33 in October.
  3. He is an unrestricted free agent after the season, so even if he is the starting guard, it will likely only be for one season. Let's try thinking ahead instead of just putting out fires.

Archived