4.09 (109) Washington Redskins select Troy Apke, S, Penn State

Woz

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This. It was an absolute mess on the back end last season when Nicholson went out. 

I like Deshazor Everett, but only in his very specific, limited role. A guy with at least the physical ability and potential to roam the deep third is a plus.  

The mess in the defensive line and linebacking corps didn't help.

People are very mad on the internet about this pick and i'm not sure why. Lets not forget the not so distant past when we were converting 32 year old corners to safety because we lacked starters, let alone depth. The guy is an elite athlete who by all accounts has high character and is a great teammate. Yes, he hasn't produced much but only starting one year yields that type of return. The hope is that Fabian Moreau becomes a starter at corner and Troy Apke can take over as a gunner on ST and provide depth at FS while continuing to develop.

and yes I understand we need an LG...

8 minutes ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

People are very mad on the internet about this pick and i'm not sure why. Lets not forget the not so distant past when we were converting 32 year old corners to safety because we lacked starters, let alone depth. The guy is an elite athlete who by all accounts has high character and is a great teammate. Yes, he hasn't produced much but only starting one year yields that type of return. The hope is that Fabian Moreau becomes a starter at corner and Troy Apke can take over as a gunner on ST and provide depth at FS while continuing to develop.

and yes I understand we need an LG...

Very good point. Lets not forget this team trotted out Reed Doughty for several years as well. Apke is a far superior athlete and will end up being a better professional in my opinion. He has time to develop and earn his stripes on special teams.

Archived