Round 4, Pick 114: Da'Shawn Hand DE

Louis Friend

Gave up our 2019 3rd rd pick to New England to move to this spot. 

I had Hand graded as a 5th rd pick. But I like him. He's 300+lbs but very athletic and fast. Not technically sound but has played with A'Shawn and under Bo Davis. He's definitely more of a 3-4 DE at the NFL level. 

Im sorry but Bob quinn has been owned by every single patriots trade he has made so far. He needs to quit while hes behind.

They trade up 8 spots to draft a guy that likely would have been there at their pick anyways and if not guice would have by giving away their 4th rounder then trade back to that exact spot to get a player that could have been there at their 5th round pick expense of their 3rd next year. This just keeps getting worse.

8 minutes ago, detroitlions72003 said:

Im sorry but Bob quinn has been owned by every single patriots trade he has made so far. He needs to quit while hes behind.

They trade up 8 spots to draft a guy that likely would have been there at their pick anyways and if not guice would have by giving away their 4th rounder then trade back to that exact spot to get a player that could have been there at their 5th round pick expense of their 3rd next year. This just keeps getting worse.

Exactly. He's trying to outsmart everyone and its backfiring. 

I'm not necessarily against the players, but the value. Every pick has been a reach so far. And we've now lost our 3rd next year to do the reaching. 

I mentioned this in another thread...

What if all these players drafted turn into an all pros?

I know that is very unlikely, but the point is, we just dont know how it is going to shake out.

I do understand the skepticism though.

As for the 3rd rounder.. not all that big a deal to me.. we can recoup that in a variety of ways.

2 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

I mentioned this in another thread...

What if all these players drafted turn into an all pros?

I know that is very unlikely, but the point is, we just dont know how it is going to shake out.

I do understand the skepticism though.

As for the 3rd rounder.. not all that big a deal to me.. we can recoup that in a variety of ways.

Your what if is moot. Every single player has the ability to either pan out or bust. Thats why players are studied, graded and ranked. Team needs change but talent doesn't. 

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

Your what if is moot. Every single player has the ability to either pan out or bust. Thats why players are studied, graded and ranked. Team needs change but talent doesn't. 

I think by saying that "...every single player has the ability to pan out or bust", you have just said the exact same thing I did by saying we just dont know.

For all intents and purposes, every bit of the evaluation, conversations, mock drafts, etc could be moot on a player by player basis.

Talent, may not change, but players are miss evaluated all the time.

I do agree that this has been a very disappointing draft, but I choose to remain positive I guess.

29 minutes ago, detroitlions72003 said:

Is that right? When has Bob quinn shown that he can acquire a 3rd round through "any various way". The guy doesnt maneuever the drat well and who on this team would or could u trade for a 3rd rounder?

Exactly.  And for all the people that say we are just the uninformed arm chair Gm and we don't know anything. Look at history. Our team has historically sucked at this. Compare the fans picks to the Lions picks/moves and you will see an overwhelming discrepancy that favors the fans. Until Quinn crushes it. I'm not going to blindly give him the benefit of the doubt. 

The Lions drafted Center/ Guard in the 1st then DE Hand in the 4th & OT in the 5th you win in the trenches love the depth pick here any DL from Bama is a solid add. Not great but not bad value either I actually had him graded to go in the 4th round so for me he wasn't 5th round value.

8 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I like the pick, don’t love the value of trading next years third. If he becomes a decent roars too all player though then it’s worth it.  I think he has untapped potential. Was a top prospect out of high school, just needs the right system fit.  

Bo Davis recruited him. He said the Lions told him they see him as a 3 tech DT in a 4-3 and a End in a 3-4 when they interviewed him at the senior bowl. 

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Bo Davis recruited him. He said the Lions told him they see him as a 3 tech DT in a 4-3 and a End in a 3-4 when they interviewed him at the senior bowl. 

Bo Davis thought he was so good he barely played him in college when he was the number one overall recruit in the country.  I really hope m wrong I just hate that we traded our 3rd for him. 

49 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

Bo Davis thought he was so good he barely played him in college when he was the number one overall recruit in the country.  I really hope m wrong I just hate that we traded our 3rd for him. 

He was a freshman on a stacked DL on the best team in the country, on their way to the national championship.  

I'm not fond of the trade either. But you can't hold the trade by the GM against the player.

I didnt like the trade in the second, doesn't make Kerryon a worse player. 

I’m not thrilled about moving a third next year. However if the front office and coaching staff rated him as a 4th rd guy I’d say it’s a win. They get a guy that fills a need, has history with the coaches, and they were high on him. I’d rather have Hand “in hand” than look at the mystery box that who knows what’s in the mystery box. 

Also, we still have 8 picks as of rite now for 2019.

Archived