Round 4, Pick 114: Da'Shawn Hand DE

Louis Friend

On 4/28/2018 at 1:59 PM, Louis Friend said:

He was a freshman on a stacked DL on the best team in the country, on their way to the national championship.  

I'm not fond of the trade either. But you can't hold the trade by the GM against the player.

I didnt like the trade in the second, doesn't make Kerryon a worse player. 

I'm not a fan of Hand as a player. I don't think he's very good. So to get rid of a third for a player that I thought was a 5th round flyer type of guy is my issue. 

Maybe I'm just sour grapes but if we take Guice we wouldn't have had to trade this pick and then trade our third to get it back. Plus get the RB I would prefer. Of course there could be a Ruben foster bombshell waiting to happen so we'll see. 

Here's the way to look at this. If the Lions had used their third round pick on Hand instead of Walker, what would your opinion be?

Let's look at the defensive linemen they could have had between their third round pick and the pick they used: Justin Jones, Deadrin Senat, Arden Key, Harrison Phillips, Jalyn Holmes. Would you rather have any of those?

Maybe Phillips, I didn't love him that much though. Anyway, Hand is a better fit for the 5 tech - 3-4 end role they seemed to want to fill than him.

Key would have been an interesting choice but they didn't take an edge guy at all, maybe they feel they don't need one.

So if they'd used the third round pick for him, it would still be understandable even if there are legit concerns about Hand's ability and effort, which I share. They just moved next year's third up, instead.

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

Here's the way to look at this. If the Lions had used their third round pick on Hand instead of Walker, what would your opinion be?

Let's look at the defensive linemen they could have had between their third round pick and the pick they used: Justin Jones, Deadrin Senat, Arden Key, Harrison Phillips, Jalyn Holmes. Would you rather have any of those?

Maybe Phillips, I didn't love him that much though. Anyway, Hand is a better fit for the 5 tech - 3-4 end role they seemed to want to fill than him.

Key would have been an interesting choice but they didn't take an edge guy at all, maybe they feel they don't need one.

So if they'd used the third round pick for him, it would still be understandable even if there are legit concerns about Hand's ability and effort, which I share. They just moved next year's third up, instead.

I personally would have liked to see Harrison Phillips but I also don't know a lot about Walker.

9 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I'd be pissed. Again I don't think he's a good player. He has like 9 sacks in 4 years. And watch his sacks they are only when he is completely unblocked. And even then he seems to hesitate attack. 

If they just want a guy to occupy blocks I just don't know if what he can bring to the team is worth a 3rd.   Man I really hope I'm wrong on him. 

On 5/1/2018 at 11:53 PM, Millenhater said:

I'd be pissed. Again I don't think he's a good player. He has like 9 sacks in 4 years. And watch his sacks they are only when he is completely unblocked. And even then he seems to hesitate attack. 

If they just want a guy to occupy blocks I just don't know if what he  can bring to the team is worth a 3rd.   Man I really hope I'm wrong on him. 

Judging his sack numbers isn't really fair because his job at Alabama was to play the run as a 295lb end. He will still play that role sometimes here but he'll get the chance to rush from the interior which is something he almost never got to do at Alabama. 

14 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Judging his sack numbers isn't really fair because his job at Alabama was to play the run as a 295lb end. He will still play that role sometimes here but he'll get the chance to rush from the interior which is something he almost never got to do at Alabama. 

I get that he was two gapping and wasn't necessarily asked to do that it just I don't like the player. And I don't think he excels at anything. 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

I like the pick, don’t love the value of trading next years third. If he becomes a decent roars too all player though then it’s worth it.  I think he has untapped potential. Was a top prospect out of high school, just needs the right system fit.  

Meh, he just doesn't seem to have the temperament/intensity to match his physical gifts. Just watch his film, his intensity doesn't match his teammates. Time will tell, but he has a Vernon Gholston feel to him.

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Meh, he just doesn't seem to have the temperament/intensity to match his physical gifts. Just watch his film, his intensity doesn't match his teammates. Time will tell, but he has a Vernon Gholston feel to him.

Which isn't the worst thing if you're taking him in the 4th round vs a top 10 pick.

The podcast I was listening to was discussing the Lions using him as a 3rd down DT (as opposed to DE) with some pass-rushing ability. It's possible he was misused at Bama or maybe isn't going to be a well rounded player.

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Which isn't the worst thing if you're taking him in the 4th round vs a top 10 pick.

The podcast I was listening to was discussing the Lions using him as a 3rd down DT (as opposed to DE) with some pass-rushing ability. It's possible he was misused at Bama or maybe isn't going to be a well rounded player.

He actually has the size and athleticism to be a base end, and he pre-Bama was really a good pass rusher.  You may be right, Bama does fit guys into their scheme and not the other way around so this could be the issue. The problem is, Bo Davis and Patricia have 3-4, 4-3 roots so chances are, he will be doing pretty much the same as Bama.

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

He actually has the size and athleticism to be a base end, and he pre-Bama was really a good pass rusher.  You may be right, Bama does fit guts into their scheme and not the other way around so this could be the issue. The problem is, Bo Davis and Patricia have 3-4, 4-3 roots so chances are, he will be doing pretty much the same as Bama.

I guess you could look at it this way - a positive of Bo Davis having coached him at Bama (and seeing his lack of success firsthand) would mean that he might look at different ways to help him start to take advantage of those gifts and be productive. A new coach that just sees what he was pre-Bama might not fully understand what his issues were there and as a result try things that were already tried at Bama. This way Davis and Patricia aren't going to be covering the same ground. This is totally just a theory but it can be helpful to have more in depth knowledge on things when trying to solve a problem.

Archived