Sign in to follow this  
y2lamanaki

49ers select Kentavius Street, DE, NC State at #128

1 minute ago, John232 said:

Maybe. Was going to be regardless but we would still need depth. Very debatable if he is now, albeit I've been wanting him traded for a while, but teams want to be 7-8 deep on the line. Street isn't going to be a PS guy post injury 

Oh we need depth. And you're right, if we wanted to trade him this year, we needed that sort of player in this draft. But Street doesn't help this year, so he doesn't help to take him. We can take that depth next year. When we need it.

13 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I guess that now we know Armstead won't be back... in 2019.

Shouldn't have been back in 2017 most likely with the scheme change. Really shouldn't be back in 2018. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Shouldn't have been back in 2017 most likely with the scheme change. Really shouldn't be back in 2018. 

I think for base down he is fine at big end. His value from rushing from the inside something he was really good at early on in limited downs is pretty much taken away from him with the Thomas pick. So he essentially just becomes a good run defender that could occasionally generate some nice pressure. 

I’m still on board with drafting a 5 tech/3 tech rotational player that’s a freak athlete. Don’t like the value or the guys we passed up. But I can live with this. 

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I dunno about this pick. On the plus side, as far as I know the ACL injury at his pro day is his first serious injury, and guys can definitely come back 100% from one ACL, especially if they're young. He's not Marcus Lattimore.

Then again, I'm skeptical that he will be a good pro even if healthy. We shall see, but this one looks like a real long shot.

Edited by Ronnie's Pinky

6 minutes ago, John232 said:

I’m still on board with drafting a 5 tech/3 tech rotational player that’s a freak athlete. Don’t like the value or the guys we passed up. But I can live with this. 

See, but I don't think he's a freak athlete. Super linear, very little wiggle in my opinion. 

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

See, but I don't think he's a freak athlete. Super linear, very little wiggle in my opinion. 

Same, don't like this pick one bit. I don't get the freak athlete label he is getting. Just super strong. 

The nice thing about him being hurt is that now we don't have to put him on the inactive list every week.  Who knows, byt the time he's well maybe we've moved a guy or two.  We better, otherwise I have no idea where he's going to play.

Posted (edited)

"Kentavius Street was a hot name on day three. Street, a North Carolina State defensive end prospect (lesser prospect than Bradley Chubb, obviously), is rehabbing from a torn ACL suffered in a private workout for the Giants a month ago. Amazing little story. The Falcons, Saints and Niners all liked him a lot. His college line coach until last season, Ryan Nielsen, took the Saints’ D-line job last year, and he told the Saints that ACL or no, Street would be a great pro player. In the fourth round Atlanta had pick 126, New Orleans 127 and San Francisco 128. Atlanta considered him but took a running back, Ito Smith. The Saints considered him and took a tackle, Rick Leonard. The Niners picked Street, a gutsy move by GM John Lynch for a 2018 redshirt player. The Saints and Falcons could both have picked Street with their next choices. Those are the things that make GMs wince."

http://amp.si.com/nfl/2018/05/07/peter-king-sports-illustrated-nbc-mmqb?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

Teams can often trade a current pick for a future pick a round higher. That seems like a better avenue to  at least pursue than taking a guy with an ACL injury. He's out for the year anyway so you're not missing year of production. You  have to hope, but don't really know, that he will fully recover. Unless you're getting this guy a round or so lower than he would be worth if was helathy (and that doesn't appear to be the case) then you might as well pick a guy 20 or 30, or more, spots higher next year. I realkize you can't always work out these kinds of trades (NE traded 114 for a future 3rd this year) but it would be worth trying for.

My idea of the kind of guy worth taking a chance on at this point in the draft would be Mo Hurst. There's a guy that was worth wayyyyy more than the spot he was taken just because of health concersn. But UM and Stanford doctors both cleared him and those two are about as good as it gets. I'd LOVE to have taken him instead of Street.

One thing that I heard from Matt Miller on a few of his most recent podcasts, Stick to Football, is that if the Raiders’ team doctors passed Mo Hurst, and other doctors as well, then why did he fall so far? He was considered a 1st round talent, but the only knock on him was his heart and doctors cleared him, and he still fell. Why? Something doesn’t seem right. 

Another thing Miller mentioned is that he spoke to some of his sources from around the league and a lot of them are saying the condition could be worse than feared and some even went as far as saying he probably shouldn’t be allowed to play again. This feels more true to me than him being healthy because of his fall in the draft. 

I think the Raiders made a really poor decision to draft him and I’m glad we did not. If all of this goes south for the Raiders, this could be a hell storm that will be front-page news for a long time. 

My opinion: Mo Hurst will not amount to much in the NFL and at no fault of his own. Even if this heart condition is fine enough to play, I can’t imagine that he will last long and may not even play out his rookie contract. 

29 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:
One thing that I heard from Matt Miller on a few of his most recent podcasts, Stick to Football, is that if the Raiders’ team doctors passed Mo Hurst, and other doctors as well, then why did he fall so far? He was considered a 1st round talent, but the only knock on him was his heart and doctors cleared him, and he still fell. Why? Something doesn’t seem right. 

Another thing Miller mentioned is that he spoke to some of his sources from around the league and a lot of them are saying the condition could be worse than feared and some even went as far as saying he probably shouldn’t be allowed to play again. This feels more true to me than him being healthy because of his fall in the draft. 

I think the Raiders made a really poor decision to draft him and I’m glad we did not. If all of this goes south for the Raiders, this could be a hell storm that will be front-page news for a long time. 

My opinion: Mo Hurst will not amount to much in the NFL and at no fault of his own. Even if this heart condition is fine enough to play, I can’t imagine that he will last long and may not even play out his rookie contract. 

I mean, Hurst was a fifth round pick. There is really no risk to it. The reward is certainly worth the fifth round pick. I don't know how you classify that as a "really poor decision". Most of the guys drafted in that round will be out of the league, and most certainly off their original team, in 4 years. 

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, Forge said:

Which is why I actually think that he is better suited to play the nose. I just don't see an edge player, even if hes at big end. With the shorter stature, if he gained another 10-15 lbs, he could be a good anchor on base downs. 

I really much prefer trying to trade for a future pick than taking a guy that will sit out a year. Don't know if we could have worked that out, but NE traded 114 to the Lions for a future 3rd. With how the Lions are expected to do this year that could well be a pick in the 70's..I'd have even taken a 4th if we could get it from a team that is likley to be bad this year. If we liked Street a lot at 128 I'm guessing we could find somebody we liked even more if could get something in the 90-105 range next year.