49ers select Kentavius Street, DE, NC State at #128

y2lamanaki

15 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean, Hurst was a fifth round pick. There is really no risk to it. The reward is certainly worth the fifth round pick. I don't know how you classify that as a "really poor decision". Most of the guys drafted in that round will be out of the league, and most certainly off their original team, in 4 years. 

Maybe "really poor decision" is a bit of an over exaggeration, but I still wouldn't take him. Knowing there is a high probability that he doesn't last more than a year or two makes me feel like it's a wasted pick. He's just not a guy I would feel comfortable taking.

This man must have had the same condition in college and was just fine. Not making light of the issue, but if the team realizes the problem was bigger than originally thought, then they won't let him play simple as that. He will be released and won't play another down in the NFL. 

19 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean, Hurst was a fifth round pick. There is really no risk to it. The reward is certainly worth the fifth round pick. I don't know how you classify that as a "really poor decision". Most of the guys drafted in that round will be out of the league, and most certainly off their original team, in 4 years. 

Absdolutely the case. Most 5th rounders don't have much of an NFL career. If Hurst stays healthy he's a first round talent that went in the fifth. That's about as good of a value any team will ever get.Both Stanfordd docs and UM docs cleared him. So i'm thinking the chances of him being OK to play are way better than 50-50. But given how little the average 5th rounder produces he'd be a great pick even if the odds were much lower than that.

28 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Absdolutely the case. Most 5th rounders don't have much of an NFL career. If Hurst stays healthy he's a first round talent that went in the fifth. That's about as good of a value any team will ever get.Both Stanfordd docs and UM docs cleared him. So i'm thinking the chances of him being OK to play are way better than 50-50. But given how little the average 5th rounder produces he'd be a great pick even if the odds were much lower than that.

Maybe people are meaning 'risk' in a different light...like risk of being sued if he were to die while playing? Just a thought. There is a reason he dropped so far and some might not be convinced he is 'okay to play'.

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Maybe people are meaning 'risk' in a different light...like risk of being sued if he were to die while playing? Just a thought. There is a reason he dropped so far and some might not be convinced he is 'okay to play'.

That's what I was wondering too. If you're talking about it's an awful risk because of a potential fatality, I understand that. I would just have to put my faith in the medical doctors saying he's okay to play. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Yeah. It's strange to me. I don't know what it means when I read that both Stanford and Michigan heart docs cleared him to play. Those guys must know what's wrong and what kind of strain strain football would put on a guy. And what does "cleared him" mean any way?Yet evertone passeed on him for 4 rounds. They could probably write a contract relieving the team of responsibility. But what a PR disaster if something bad did happen to him on the field. I know that there was at least one NFL player that died in a game from some kind of heart issue. So it's certainly possible for it to happen.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Exactly, the question remains, if he was cleared and played with this in college, why did he fall to the 5th if he's a first-round talent? This is the part that makes me wonder. It's not like there were off-the-field red flags found with his character. It's only the health concern. But again, if so many people cleared him, why did he fall?

Archived