With the 129th pick of the NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Will Richardson, T/G

.Buzz

On 29/04/2018 at 6:30 AM, Jags said:

I, unlike most football fans, believe in forgiveness and second chances. I believe people can change for the better and its happened before and although the opposite is true as well, we have to consider that not much was spent here. A 4th to prove a guy with talent will stay out of trouble and reach his potential is not much to spend. 

I mean, it just depends on the guy and the situation.  A 4th round pick on a guy who has made mistakes and truly learned from them and becomes a model citizen from now on and works to make whole any ills he's caused...worth it.  And you're probably getting a good player for the draft slot, if the character stuff caused the guy to slip a bit.

A 4th round pick on some bum who continues to make selfish decisions and mistakes, or show disregard for other human life by driving while impaired?  That's not worth anything.  It has negative value.

Which one of those categories Will Richardson will fall into...i don't know.  I'm obviously not privy to the various interviews and detailed background investigations that the teams are.  And even then...it can be a crapshoot which way the guy goes.

There are arguments for and against these sort of character flag picks, on a case-by-case basis.  I just hate the blanket mentality that sometimes pops up among fans of, "this guy made really poor life choices and irresponsible decisions that endangered/harmed other people, so he's obviously great value in the draft!!!"  It's so juvenile.  There's a lot more to life than football.

Not to mention, often makes it a lot harder to cheer for the guy.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, it just depends on the guy and the situation.  A 4th round pick on a guy who has made mistakes and truly learned from them and becomes a model citizen from now on and works to make whole any ills he's caused...worth it.  And you're probably getting a good player for the draft slot, if the character stuff caused the guy to slip a bit.

A 4th round pick on some bum who continues to make selfish decisions and mistakes, or show disregard for other human life by driving while impaired?  That's not worth anything.  It has negative value.

Which one of those categories Will Richardson will fall into...i don't know.  I'm obviously not privy to the various interviews and detailed background investigations that the teams are.  And even then...it can be a crapshoot which way the guy goes.

There are arguments for and against these sort of character flag picks, on a case-by-case basis.  I just hate the blanket mentality that sometimes pops up among fans of, "this guy made really poor life choices and irresponsible decisions that endangered/harmed other people, so he's obviously great value in the draft!!!"  It's so juvenile.  There's a lot more to life than football.

Not to mention, often makes it a lot harder to cheer for the guy.

not to really derail you but u do realize a team Took Antonio "Moron" Calloway with the 1st pick in round 4.  thats a terrible choice. richardson  seems to have grown from it. he did his punishment.  the only reason i guess u can be mad about is we took him over crosby but i still dont get why he fell that far outside of the rumored concussion issues. 

Archived