Eagles select DE Josh Sweat 4th Round 130 Overall

Kiltman

Here is his report on Sweat:

Was the No. 1 overall recruit in 2015 (Virginia), but during his senior season of high
school he suffered a gruesome knee injury (dislocated knee cap and torn ACL) that
many thought he would never fully recover from. Didn't redshirt as some expected he
would and he wounded up actually being a starter for nine games during his true
freshman season. In 2016, he suffered another knee injury. This time it was a torn
meniscus. Not as severe of an injury as the previous one, but still another setback for
such a promising player. He hasn't reportedly suffered any further damage to the knee
since those two occurrences, but the medicals are obviously huge with him. Despite
the damage done to his knee, he is still very twitchy. Loose hips and has shown the
ability to turn the corner. Not as sharp bending the arc as some of the other top-end
prospects in this class, but enough to be successful. Inconsistent in firing off of the
ball and getting out of his stance. Ball get off needs work and for whatever reason, he
seems to be delayed off of the snap. Shown that he can set the edge consistently
against the run. Takes pride in getting into the chest of blockers.. Very violent and
heavy hands. Gets penetration and can knock blockers back into their own backfield
to shield runs from getting positive yardage. Really good feel for things that are
happening in front of him in the running game. Disruptive as a pass rusher and saw a
significant jump in sack totals (2015-2016). Was a situational rusher on passing
downs (2016) and has the versatility and size to slide inside. 2017 wasn't as
productive in sack totals, but he had a countless number of missed opportunties in the
backfield where he just didn't finish the play with a sack. Further development will
take time, but the end result could be astronomical if his health holds up. Just turned
21 years old and he's a prospect that defensive line coaches should be salivating over
to work with.
The further he's been away from the date of his knee injuries the better
his progress has become. Can be a very good well-rounded defenive lineman for a
very long time because of his age and early stages of development.

7. JOSH SWEAT | Florida State 6046 | 251 lbs. | JR. Chesapeake, Va. (Oscar Smith) 3/29/1997 (age 21.1) #9

BACKGROUND: A five-star defensive end recruit out of high school, Josh Sweat emerged as one of the country’s top prep players as a junior at Oscar Smith (94 tackles
and 22.0 sacks), taking advantage of all the attention offenses paid to teammate and fellow 2018 NFL prospect Andrew Brown. With Brown off to Virginia, Sweat
entered his senior season as the overall No. 1 recruit according to some, but he played in only two games before a devastating knee injury (on special teams) ended
his 2014 season. He drew Jadeveon Clowney comparisons during the recruiting process and was still considered the No. 2 pass rusher in the country despite the
injury. Sweat received offers from almost every program in the country and committed to Florida State over Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon and Virginia Tech. Many
expected him to redshirt as a freshman because of the injury, but he saw immediate playing time with 41 tackles and 2.0 sacks over nine starts in 2015. Sweat started
10 games as a sophomore and posted 41 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss and a career-best 7.0 sacks. He started the first 12 games (sat out the bowl game) as a junior in
2017 and led the defensive line with 56 tackles and 12.5 tackles for loss, adding 5.5 sacks and three passes defended. Sweat elected to forego his final season and
enter the 2018 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD
2015: (13/9)
41 5.0 2.0 0 2
2016: (12/10) 41 11.5 7.0 1 1
2017: (12/12) 56 12.5 5.5 0 3
Total: (37/31) 138 29.0 14.5 1 6

HT   WT  ARM   HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE
6046 251 34 5/8 10 1/4 84 1/8 4.53 2.61 1.55 39 1/2 10’04” 4.28 - -
PRO DAY - - - - - - 6.95 16

STRENGTHS: Passes the eye test with a cut-up frame and NFL length…arc speed to consistently threaten the corner…exits his stance like a sprinter…flexibility to drop
his hips and bend mid-rush…uses lateral steps to juke and burst past the shoulder of the blocker…beautiful execution of extending his arm into blockers to break their
rhythm…various hand/arm movements to chop, punch and pull…showcases a closing burst once he finds his lane to the quarterback…high football IQ as a run
defender, leveraging the point of attack and re-setting the line of scrimmage…flashes violence in his hands to shed blocks…excellent job tracking the football and
never shuts in down in pursuit…pain tolerance, work ethic and toughness have been heightened since his 2014 knee injury, pushing himself off the field…quality
production with 24.0 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks over 22 starts the last two seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Medical evaluations will be paramount to his draft grade – suffered a dislocated kneecap and torn ACL in his left knee (Sept. 2014) as a senior in high
school, requiring immediate surgery and near amputation; suffered a torn meniscus in his left knee (Sept. 2016), requiring surgery; tore ligaments in his finger and
required surgery (Jan. 2017)…play strength is average and needs improved, especially in his lower body…needs to widen this vision and locate blocks, finding himself
sealed from lanes…lacks the shed skills to easily disengage once engulfed in the trenches…relies more on athletic gifts over awareness and needs to develop his
read/react game…routinely late off the snap…often hunched at the waist, leaning into blockers and ending up off-balance.
SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Florida State, Sweat played the “BUCK” pass rusher position in the Seminoles four-man front, bouncing between the left and right
sides of the formation. He looks like he was constructed with a NFL starter kit with his long frame and athleticism off the edge and in pursuit. Sweat has intriguing
traits, but the word “late” showed up frequently in my film study notes: late off the snap, late to recognize blocks, late to shed blocks, etc. He tends to rely on his
natural gifts and needs to develop mentally before he is ready for steady NFL snaps. Overall, Sweat needs to improve his consistency, but his impressive flashes
resemble a slightly smaller Jadeveon Clowney wreaking havoc off the edge – medical report will be paramount to his draft grade.

GRADE: 2nd-3rd Round (#66 overall)

Dane Brugler's scouting report

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:

would be poetic if barnett and sweat could meet in the backfield with sam inbetween them one day but I doubt he'll be in the league playing when both those guys are starting for us in a couple years. 

they high low him, finally his watch ends..a prophecy complete

1 minute ago, RollEagles said:

@TheRealMcCoy , is it bad that I kind of like this pick more than our 2nd round pick?

And I loved that pick and think Goedert is going to be a really nice weapon for a long time for us.

Not really. A lot of people think Sweat if he didn't have the injury history could've been a late 1st to mid 2nd round pick.

3. Josh Sweat, Florida State – Late Round 1

Sweat is this year’s leading candidate for worst-used prospect, as Florida State wasted his potential by lining him up inside and negating the burst and bend he has at the top of the arc. Sweat is ready to contribute right away as a run defender, and while his counters and power game need some work, he can also make an impact as a pass rusher early on. I don’t see the raw player others see in Sweat, I see a guy with the potential to be an annual double-digit sack master.

Ideal Scheme Fit: 4-3 defensive end, although Sweat can probably play either. I just want him getting after the quarterback consistently.

Not a bad issue to have and injuries could always occur, but do you all see BG, Barnett, Long, Bennett, Means and Sweat all on teh roster. I think the staff really like Means and teh rest seem pretty set. 

As I said, not a bad issue, just curious. 

17 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

would be poetic if barnett and sweat could meet in the backfield with sam inbetween them one day but I doubt he'll be in the league playing when both those guys are starting for us in a couple years. 

Sammy keeps coming back and someone always pays him.

From negative seen and heard from writers, Sweat was misused and not really allowed to rush the passer, instead being asked to react to the movement of the offensive tackle.

He still has that explosive first step to get to the quarterback that made him the top recruit in the nation and showed it off when allowed to be the defensive scheme didn't allow him to as much as it should. With that said everything I've seen said he's also a plus run defender.

This is the pick I am most excited about. He' clearly super talented and is a player who could be much better as a pro due to the fact he'll be in a scheme he is suited for, and he has veterans like Graham, Bennett, and Long to learn the nuances of the NFL from.  

A guy with an athletic profile that rivals Clowney with that kind of first step on film could be a steal. I love the Danielle Hunter comparison.

I'm also loving the Howie Roseman/Joe Douglas strategy of drafting good athletes with skills at football much more than the Andy Reid era "try hard guys" philosophy. 

13 minutes ago, Phire said:

Sweat said in an interview with Spadaro that he's gonna be used almost exclusively to rush the passer. Kind of like Barnett was used at least for the rookie year.

Good. Unleash him. Florida State held him back as a pass rusher.

Our d-line should be more ridiculous than last year barring injury.

Archived