Eagles select DE Josh Sweat 4th Round 130 Overall

Kiltman

2 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

So just to "on the record" this thing. It may sound homerish as an FSU fan but Sweat is the only pick of this draft that I liked.

Nothing homerish about it - I'm a UF fan and Sweat was the only picked I liked. 

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It's not like the Eagles really had many "needs" for 2018, so pretty much anyone in that spot is a luxury.

And there were plenty of other positions where we don't have a 27 year old pro bowlers. If anything was unnecessary this year to draft, it was a TE. That and QB. 

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

And there were plenty of other positions where we don't have a 27 year old pro bowlers. If anything was unnecessary this year to draft, it was a TE. That and QB. 

But the other two TE's last year played a significant role in the offense and Ertz is always golden to miss a game or two, so it wasn't unnecessary at all. It was a depth need that provides a lot more flexibility in the offense.

3 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

But the other two TE's last year played a significant role in the offense and Ertz is always golden to miss a game or two, so it wasn't unnecessary at all. It was a depth need that provides a lot more flexibility in the offense.

Significant is a bit of a stretch. Snap count was Ertz 68%, Celek 41%, Burton 26%. And Celek was blocking 90% of the time or just safety valving. Of course you need a decent stable of TEs if you can get it. But investing your first pick in a draft for a committed backup for the foreseeable future/forever is the definition of unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, I love the upside and the potential 1-2 punch of dominate TEs and clearly you can't just predetermine what position will be good value at whatever slot you're picking but any of T,G,C,HB,S,LB,DE could have been a more acceptable pick based on the short future of this roster, rendering TE pretty unnecessary. It's luxury but to the utmost definition. 

2 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Significant is a bit of a stretch. Snap count was Ertz 68%, Celek 41%, Burton 26%. And Celek was blocking 90% of the time or just safety valving. Of course you need a decent stable of TEs if you can get it. But investing your first pick in a draft for a committed backup for the foreseeable future/forever is the definition of unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, I love the upside and the potential 1-2 punch of dominate TEs and clearly you can't just predetermine what position will be good value at whatever slot you're picking but any of T,G,C,HB,S,LB,DE could have been a more acceptable pick based on the short future of this roster, rendering TE pretty unnecessary. It's luxury but to the utmost definition. 

T- The Eagles have 3 good ones. No need to force picking one. Let's see how Big V develops another year before deciding the amount of resources to put into another one. I wouldn't have been mad if they took Conner Williams there though.

G- They drafted one late. They have two quality starters and two depth players with decent experience. I'd hardly call that a huge need. Wiz still has 2 years left if I'm not mistaken

C- There are literally 3 players on the active roster who can play Center. Next! haha

HB- This is the easiest position to fill in the draft. Why take one this year and waste a year of his prime? Wait, take one next year that doesn't yell at your RB coach.

S- There are like 5 starting caliber Safeties still on the FA market. For some reason people aren't paying decent safeties like they used to. You can find one.

LB- There are so many LB's on this roster right now. It didn't make sense to take one unless you were getting a stud. There were no stud LB's available for the Eagles to pick.

DE- The drafted one doe......plus there certainly wasn't a DE on the board worth taking over Philly Goedart at 49

None of these positions were anymore of "needs" than TE was

Just now, Remixxxxxxx said:

According to who? I'm not an expert on rankings but I think most places had Oliver and Guice ranked ahead of Goedert. 

You can certainly make the argument for Guice. I don't see it at all with Oliver though.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

T- The Eagles have 3 good ones. No need to force picking one. Let's see how Big V develops another year before deciding the amount of resources to put into another one. I wouldn't have been mad if they took Conner Williams there though.

G- They drafted one late. They have two quality starters and two depth players with decent experience. I'd hardly call that a huge need. Wiz still has 2 years left if I'm not mistaken

C- There are literally 3 players on the active roster who can play Center. Next! haha

HB- This is the easiest position to fill in the draft. Why take one this year and waste a year of his prime? Wait, take one next year that doesn't yell at your RB coach.

S- There are like 5 starting caliber Safeties still on the FA market. For some reason people aren't paying decent safeties like they used to. You can find one.

LB- There are so many LB's on this roster right now. It didn't make sense to take one unless you were getting a stud. There were no stud LB's available for the Eagles to pick.

DE- The drafted one doe......plus there certainly wasn't a DE on the board worth taking over Philly Goedart at 49

None of these positions were anymore of "needs" than TE was

Ok, since this is rambling down this path...

I never said there was a huge need anywhere. Obviously, that's not what we're debating. 

T- Peters could be done for all we know. At best, he's got one year left. Yes, V looked decent last year. But is a 5th round pick good enough to consider protecting your franchise QB. So, saying we have 3 good ones is short sighted and wishful thinking. 

G- Wiz is 30 and going into a contract year. We could def use some new blood here. Isaac looked absolutely lost last year. 

C- There are three guys who can play a position. Great. I can put a stack of books at C if Kelce goes down. That doesn't mean it'll be any good. Drafting a 2nd round pick usually projects as a starter. You need to be able to look at your roster and predict to cut some salary some places. Kelce will be older and up for a contract soon. You want to pay a C that much at the expense of eating up valueable cap space. Especially considering Carson will be getting paid soon. 

HB- Agreed you could get a HB anytime basically. But getting one now would mean the end of Ajayi, which we all know is coming anyway. I'd rather had taken one now and seeing what I had then drafting and hoping he works out next year. Guice, anyone? 

S- Older and soon to be cut. That's our situation as S. We need to be younger and cheaper there as well. A younger guy makes the most sense here. 

LB- We have one starter you can rely on. We have the new Sean Lee on our roster at MIKE. We could use one. Don't pretend otherwise. 

DE- We have one young DE we can pencil in as a starter after this year. We're going to need to have one ready in 2020. 

All of these are needs more than 2nd TE who presumably won't be asked to block much. I like the kid. But it wasn't the least thing we needed. Burton was our 2nd best pass catching TE and he played 26% of snaps. Maybe his kid plays 35%? Great. But he's not going to come close to starting in the next three years when all those other positions are potentially needing a starter, let alone a backup. This is pretty elementary, wouldn't you think? 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Y'all wanted BPA

We went BPA

Exactly. 

I'm astounded given the fact He was BPA and it was an actual Need, that's the pick people want to complain about.

I'm sorry but DG has the potential to take 2 TE sets in this offense to the next level. More then Celek and more then Burton. I've been of the opinion for awhile now Pederson is modeling his Organization/Team/Approach similarly to Belicheck and the Patriot way.

It makes perfect sense that Doug would want what the Patriots haven't recreated since the Hernandez debacle. There are so many countless mismatches that can be created with TWO legit TE it's not funny. He wants that option for DC and Defenses to have to stop.

If WR/RB in this offense can be interchangeable, why not TE? Any of you honestly believe Rodgers is that player? It's not as though Zach's been the picture of health over the last 3 years either. This pick makes perfect sense to me assuming their evaluation and experts hold true!

8 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm astounded given the fact He was BPA and it was an actual Need, that's the pick people want to complain about.

But he wasn't BPA - nothing against you but I feel like the BPA argument is something fan-bases use to make themselves believe that no matter of need, talent etc their team picked the right player. 

I don't have a problem with DG pick but I don't know if I agree with the BPA argument when it comes to him. I also understand the side of the argument that doesn't believe in taking a TE2 with your first pick. 

I've been saying this but "BPA" is purely fan-fiction. It doesn't actually mean anything. There is no such thing as best player available. There is no objective "best player" at any given point. BPA to one person isn't the BPA to the next. In a room of 10 people, all 10 people could have a different BPA. It's such a dumb term when you actually think about it.

BPA is convenient because it's the mysterious "right move" that nobody can actually define. It can't be a wrong answer.

1 minute ago, Phire said:

I've been saying this but "BPA" is purely fan-fiction. It doesn't actually mean anything. There is no such thing as best player available. There is no objective "best player" at any given point. BPA to one person isn't the BPA to the next. In a room of 10 people, all 10 people could have a different BPA. It's such a dumb term when you actually think about it.

BPA is convenient because it's the mysterious "right move" that nobody can actually define. It can't be a wrong answer.

So you think Andy Reid really thought the fireman was the "BPA"

2 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

According to who? I'm not an expert on rankings but I think most places had Oliver and Guice ranked ahead of Goedert. 

BPA that is smart enough not to yell at his future potential employeer at an interview......

28 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

BPA that is smart enough not to yell at his future potential employeer at an interview......

I thought that was "debunked" by both sides and what about Oliver (and possible Williams)? Once again, BPA is something the fans want to believe as an indisputable way to say we picked the right player. 

Archived