Eagles select DE Josh Sweat 4th Round 130 Overall

Kiltman

4 hours ago, Phire said:
20 hours ago, Danger said:

So you think Andy Reid really thought the fireman was the "BPA"

Yes. Absolutely. 

No! You both know that was a clear cut "We Have to Draft for Need", not BPA. They were so desperate to fill OG, that's why he was drafted. Not because of him being BPA.

38 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

No! You both know that was a clear cut "We Have to Draft for Need", not BPA. They were so desperate to fill OG, that's why he was drafted. Not because of him being BPA.

First, I don't think that's necessarily true. It was a position of need but the Eagles clearly talked him up as if he were BPA. They kept saying he would step in and be a starter immediately. That's the kind of language people use to describe "BPA" type players in the first round.

Second, I don't think "BPA" and "need" are mutually exclusive. This goes back, again, to my point that "BPA" is useless. What is "BPA?" There isn't any definition or objective measure for it. It's completely subjective. So one person might factor need into their BPA analysis. You can say "Danny Watkins is BPA because he's at the top of our draft board AND he fills a need." It's not one or the other. Sometimes "BPA" fills a need. Sometimes "BPA" doesn't.

I don't see any reason to believe the Eagles didn't regard Watkins as both someone who would fill a need and also someone they considered to be one of the best players available at that draft spot; given the needs of the roster. 

To be clear I'm not suggesting they thought he sucked but if there was ever a Draft Pick more telegraphed for "Drafting for Need" rather then BPA, it was Danny Watkins.

It's why they pushed him so far up there boards. If Shawn Andrews is healthy ,Watkins is an afterthought and probably not even on their board.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

To be clear I'm not suggesting they thought he sucked but if there was ever a Draft Pick more telegraphed for "Drafting for Need" rather then BPA, it was Danny Watkins.

It's why they pushed him so far up there boards. If Shawn Andrews is healthy ,Watkins is an afterthought and probably not even on their board.

I don't disagree with that.

I'm jumping in on this because @Jroc04 isn't wrong at all. Players at 32 that would have helped this year and beyond.

T- Conor Williams (50) was around even if we traded back

G- Corbett(33)/Hernandez(34)/Smith(37) were all top rated guards picked right after 32

C- James Daniels (39) - Arguably one of the top centers in this draft.

HB- Even if Guice (59) yelled at Staley, Nick Chubb (35) or Ronald Jones (38) would have looked awesome in midnight green.

S- Jessie Bates (54) or Justin Reid (68). Really depends if you want a centerfielder or a solid in the box tackler.

LB-  Darius Leonard (36) or Uchenna Nwosu (48)

DE- Harold Landry (41)

5 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'm jumping in on this because @Jroc04 isn't wrong at all. Players at 32 that would have helped this year and beyond.

T- Conor Williams (50) was around even if we traded back

G- Corbett(33)/Hernandez(34)/Smith(37) were all top rated guards picked right after 32

C- James Daniels (39) - Arguably one of the top centers in this draft.

HB- Even if Guice (59) yelled at Staley, Nick Chubb (35) or Ronald Jones (38) would have looked awesome in midnight green.

S- Jessie Bates (54) or Justin Reid (68). Really depends if you want a centerfielder or a solid in the box tackler.

LB-  Darius Leonard (36) or Uchenna Nwosu (48)

DE- Harold Landry (41)

Only three of them I would have considered at 32.

Hernandez, Guice, and Landry

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:16 PM, Danger said:

Y'all wanted BPA

We went BPA

23 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm astounded given the fact He was BPA and it was an actual Need, that's the pick people want to complain about.

He wasn't BPA.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2018dGoedert.php

The 2018 NFL Draft is not close to as strong at the tight end position, but one tight end who has gotten some media praise is South Dakota State's Dallas Goedert. There have been some mock drafts that have Goedert going in the first round and rate him as the top tight end in the draft class. However after speaking to sources at a handful of teams, none of them had Goedert graded in the first round.

The highest grade among those five teams was a second-rounder. Two teams had him graded in the third round, and two teams had a high fourth-round grade on him.

4 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

I blame myself for contributing to this but none of the last 3 pages have anything to do with Josh Sweat.

Sweat needed to be the sacrificial lamb for the betterment of the truth. 

We had a perfect opportunity to grab a guy to groom and take over in 2020 and we kind of blew it. 

Thinking about it, how many times are we going to run 2 TE sets where they both run actual routes? Who are we taking off the field in order to do so? 

19 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Thinking about it, how many times are we going to run 2 TE sets where they both run actual routes? Who are we taking off the field in order to do so? 

Better chance of both of them in our RZ package then say any other WR not named Alshon Jeffrey. Fill in the blank.....

Seriously who is guarding the 3? Slot CB? LB? S? They in nickle or base? Worried about the run or pass? Infinite packages/possibilities!

Dallas Goedert is a move for now and the future. Most other picks would have been a move for just the future. It's not as if we needed anything in this draft, so I don't see the issue with adding someone that can be beneficial now and later?

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

We can do it as much as we want. I have no problem taking Mike Wallace off the field if that means we force defenses to defend BOTH Ertz and Goedert. How many teams are going to be able to do that? We got plenty of production from our depth players. Guys like Corey Clement and Trey Burton were instrumental to our success. Trust in Dougy Steelballs. 

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Better chance of both of them in our RZ package then say any other WR not named Alshon Jeffrey. Fill in the blank.....

Seriously who is guarding the 3? Slot CB? LB? S? They in nickle or base? Worried about the run or pass? Infinite packages/possibilities!

I guess you know it's a pass then. They're def telegraphing when both Ertz and Goedert are in. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Dallas Goedert is a move for now and the future. Most other picks would have been a move for just the future. It's not as if we needed anything in this draft, so I don't see the issue with adding someone that can be beneficial now and later?

I get that. But you're not optimizing your pick in this case. Unless you want Goedert to take over for Ertz in 4 years then fine. But then what's the rush? I just don't see the value when we're going to need young, quality starters at some important positions  in a year or so. If the dude becomes an all pro, you're naturally log jammed at TE. Running a two TE set 80% of your plays isn't ideal. How much is the guy actually going to play? 

58 minutes ago, Phire said:

We can do it as much as we want. I have no problem taking Mike Wallace off the field if that means we force defenses to defend BOTH Ertz and Goedert. How many teams are going to be able to do that? We got plenty of production from our depth players. Guys like Corey Clement and Trey Burton were instrumental to our success. Trust in Dougy Steelballs. 

Sure but how much are we going to do it? It can't be your base offense. Neither TE can block  well and your offense loses a lot of its homerun ability. It will definitely have its advantages, don't get me wrong. 3rd and short, RZ, short field type situations it can be a nightmare. I just think, which I've been arguing this whole time, is that it's a luxury we didn't need. And I think, as time will prove, wasn't a luxury we could afford. I'd MUCH rather would have gotten a solid starter at LT, MLB, DE, S than a pro bowl TE2. I guess it's just my preference. 

Archived