Eagles select DE Josh Sweat 4th Round 130 Overall

Kiltman

22 hours ago, Jroc04 said:
23 hours ago, Phire said:

We can do it as much as we want. I have no problem taking Mike Wallace off the field if that means we force defenses to defend BOTH Ertz and Goedert. How many teams are going to be able to do that? We got plenty of production from our depth players. Guys like Corey Clement and Trey Burton were instrumental to our success. Trust in Dougy Steelballs. 

Sure but how much are we going to do it? It can't be your base offense. Neither TE can block  well and your offense loses a lot of its homerun ability. It will definitely have its advantages, don't get me wrong. 3rd and short, RZ, short field type situations it can be a nightmare. I just think, which I've been arguing this whole time, is that it's a luxury we didn't need. And I think, as time will prove, wasn't a luxury we could afford. I'd MUCH rather would have gotten a solid starter at LT, MLB, DE, S than a pro bowl TE2. I guess it's just my preference. 

in 2017 the Eagles ran exactly 246 plays out of 1076 total plays with two TEs on the field that's just under 23%. Its not available (and I'm not motivated enough to get) the amount of times that one TE (Celek) stayed in to block while another (Ertz/Burton) released. I'm going to go out on a limb and say AT BEST that Goedert takes Burton's 300 snaps. Seems like a waste of a pick IMO because his future is blocked by a current Pro Bowl TE under contract through the life of Goederts rookie contract.

21 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:
21 hours ago, Danger said:

Running a two TE set 80% of your plays isn't ideal. How much is the guy actually going to play? 

Probably more then the 4th RB on the depth chart, just saying.

In year one, you're correct. Our "4th RB" by snap count this year was Smallwood at 173 offensive snaps which is almost half of Burton's 300. That said there's a legitimate future for a RB as our 2017 "2nd RB" is no longer on the roster (opening 354 snaps) and our 2018 "1st RB" isn't under contract after this year and has a degenerative knee issue. So yes if we drafted a RB this year he probably wouldn't have outsnapped a back-up TE in 2018 but I would put a boatload of sheckles down that in 2019 he would far surpass the snap count of someone who will still be a back-up TE.

27 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

in 2017 the Eagles ran exactly 246 plays out of 1076 total plays with two TEs on the field that's just under 23%. Its not available (and I'm not motivated enough to get) the amount of times that one TE (Celek) stayed in to block while another (Ertz/Burton) released. I'm going to go out on a limb and say AT BEST that Goedert takes Burton's 300 snaps. Seems like a waste of a pick IMO because his future is blocked by a current Pro Bowl TE under contract through the life of Goederts rookie contract.

I don't know why it's that difficult for people to grasp. My first post was like, it's a good pick if you think this guy will out perform Ertz and take over his spot when Ertz is 30. But otherwise a complete luxury pick. Which is fine, I realize we are in that kind of situation in not NEEDING to fill any positions. But this could have been a pick to fill a big ticket position and have the flexibility to basically redshirt a guy and essentially step into a role in 2020 at a fraction of the incumbent's salary. 

MLB- Hicks is one injury away career suicide basically. We had decent guys to fill in when he went down but your best ability is availability. Hicks may be out the door if he can't stay healthy. 

Outside WR- we're going to need to stay cheap opposite AJ with Nelly most likely getting a contract. We've been doing well with cheap, rental veterans but it's rolling the dice every year. 

Nickel CB- Today's NFL demands more of nickel corners than your 3rd LB. This would be considered a starter on most teams and P Rob was one of the best last year. We maybe can fill it internally but all those options are shaky at best. A guy drafted and groomed to play slot would have been beneficial to us, imo. 

S- Each year they get more expensive and outside of an aging Jenkins being really solid, there's nothing special here.  McLeod is the first guy I think about getting rid of when money comes up. Drafting a good young safety not only would improve us, it would have helped get the  check book ready for Carson. 

I'm excited for the Ertz/Goedert pair but I saw some real opportunity let go here. But alas, trust in Howie. 

4 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

I don't know why it's that difficult for people to grasp. My first post was like, it's a good pick if you think this guy will out perform Ertz and take over his spot when Ertz is 30. But otherwise a complete luxury pick. Which is fine, I realize we are in that kind of situation in not NEEDING to fill any positions. But this could have been a pick to fill a big ticket position and have the flexibility to basically redshirt a guy and essentially step into a role in 2020 at a fraction of the incumbent's salary. 

MLB- Hicks is one injury away career suicide basically. We had decent guys to fill in when he went down but your best ability is availability. Hicks may be out the door if he can't stay healthy. 

heres the thing....yeah, we will probably need to address LB in the next year or two, but we basically play 2 LB sets on defense for 70% of the time (totally guessing on that number btw but you know what i mean), and we have a good chunk of change invested in Bradham and Kendricks both. And its my thinking that the FO and Coaching Staff like Kendricks a LOT more than some of us. Considering weve been saying that hed be traded every offseason for like 3 years straight and we've yet to even see anything that substantiates that, I think Kendricks is staying put. And Bradham, well thats pretty much self explanatory. We made it a priority to lock him up early in the offseason. So with Hicks' low salary for the time being, that allows us to keep him despite his injuries. Because if he goes down,we have two really good and versatile LBers who can play a lot of snaps, plus some young and veteran depth alike. I dont see how you look at our LBers and then look at our TEs pre draft (literally just Zach Ertz and Richard Rodgers, who btw couldn't even play well with ARod throwing to him), and think we need a backer more than a 2nd TE. Especially if you're going to cite injury as a concern....being that Ertz has not exactly been Jason Witten out there health wise.

Outside WR- we're going to need to stay cheap opposite AJ with Nelly most likely getting a contract. We've been doing well with cheap, rental veterans but it's rolling the dice every year. 

Eh. I definitely think that we took the right approach this offseason by not commiting many resources to WR either in FA or draft. I think they want to see what Mack can do, and Wallace being brought in for this season serves as sort of "insurance" if Hollins cant break into that 3rd WR spot. I think we will probably need to either sign a relatively cheap but promising FA in 2019 or draft a WR that year for sure though. And what kind of guy we sign or how high of a pick we use on one would be depending on how Mack does in 2018

Nickel CB- Today's NFL demands more of nickel corners than your 3rd LB. This would be considered a starter on most teams and P Rob was one of the best last year. We maybe can fill it internally but all those options are shaky at best. A guy drafted and groomed to play slot would have been beneficial to us, imo. 

CB is by far one of our deepest positions....Mills can at least be serviceable at worst in the slot as weve seen. And we did just draft Maddox in the 4th, who projects as an inside/slot corner. So we basically have a 1st round pick in Sidney Jones bc of his RS year and Ronald Darby as our 1 and 2. Then Mills, Douglas, Maddox to battle for PT. I love our corners personally.

S- Each year they get more expensive and outside of an aging Jenkins being really solid, there's nothing special here.  McLeod is the first guy I think about getting rid of when money comes up. Drafting a good young safety not only would improve us, it would have helped get the  check book ready for Carson. 

Im probably definitely in the minority here, but I think McLeod is being too undervalued lately. Hes not making crazy money, and I agree he has been up and down at times, but he also has shown that he can play well alongside #27 and in this scheme. Very well sometimes. Not to mention hes still literally hitting his prime now. He hit FA at a young age (25). I think that safety will perhaps become an issue though if Jenkins declines due to age and/or McLeod doesnt improve or stay consistent. But right now, it is not a bigger need than our backup TE. 

I mean, Having Ertz and Richard Rodgers out there would be like basically just having Ertz. If he were to miss time (which is likely), wed be effed. TE is crucial in Doug's offense. Id have been happy with just like Burton as our #2 (aka a high effort-good role player). But Goedert is WAY better than Trey. He and Ertz are going to be serious mismatches for defense. 

As much as I love Trey bc hes my homie....no defensive coordinator is going to be worried EVERY week thinking "man how are we gonna stop this guy AND #86?!". But Goedert? Yeah, hes gonna give opposing DCs nightmares.

I'm excited for the Ertz/Goedert pair but I saw some real opportunity let go here. But alas, trust in Howie. 

Again, as people seem to be missing the point; 2018-19 is fine. I've said over and over, the needs were minimal this year. You could afford to take a TE2 with your first pick. But look beyond 2019 and on. We were much better served getting a guy that could fill a starting role in 2020. 

Kendricks is fine but not at his price tag and how much we use him. He's only around because Hicks can't stay healthy. If any team gave up decent compensation for him, he'd be gone. He's been in trade rumors for 3 years. Look at it this way, if Hicks can't stay healthy this year, which is looking more real every year, and we cut Kendricks (6M in savings) we have nothing at WLB and MLB except for backups. So when I say LB is more a need than TE2 then you know what I mean. 

Im ok how they're approaching WR. But AJ isn't exactly putting up WR1 numbers. And Nelly is going to get paid. I'd like to have a young dynamic guy opposite so that in a few years we can move on from an expensive AJ and stay cap compliant. 

CB isn't as deep as you'd suggest. Darby didn't exactly set the world on fire and Jones is a mystery right now. I have faith in them but they aren't exactly stalwarts at their positions. I like Douglas more than most probably but one of him or Mills will probably transition to S. Mills seemingly can play everywhere but no where really well. Can he play nickel? I dunno. But as emerging as the nickel position is becoming, I'd like some rescources spent there. Much more needed than a backup position. And let's reiterate; Goedert, at least for the time being, will be a route running TE. How many times will he and Ertz be running routes at the same time, 20% of the snaps? Maybe? That doesn't equate value to me. Drafting a guy to be a starter in waiting was the much more feasible move, imo.

As safety goes, I suggested Mills or Douglas could transition over. Which would be fine and certainly save some money. But let's be real, there's going to be some change there going into next year. There's no way they can have those two salaries at S. Something has to give.  

I didn't really hit on the other positions that I thought were more important. Such as LT, DE, HB and maybe even DT now with Timmy's back issues. Is big V the answer? JP is certainly gone after this year. We could have used some better quality depth at least there. The only DE I have sticking around after this year is Barnett. Possibly BG if he doesn't price himself out. But that's looking unlikely as well. 3 out of our 4 HBs will be gone after this year. Unless Pump can transform himself. And even if, I'd rather have Clement In that role paired with a more skilled runner. Cox is our only long term answer at DT unless Destiny or Qualls step up big this year. In a year or two, if Howie's boat starts taking on water and we have some key positions left barren, we're going to wonder why it was so important to have a backup TE drafted with our first pick this year. 

Its really just food for thought. Obviously there are a crap ton of variables that will happen changing the landscapes. But my point still stands, how did TE2 value more than those possible others? I saw it as an opportunity to get ahead of the curve and grab a starter that could play in year 2. Howie went for luxury. Which is fine. I've stated numerous times, it's going to be something that defenses will need to respect. But, time will tell if this wasn't such a great idea. 

Just like to point out no matter who or what position was drafted, that player was going to be a Backup. 2nd, 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. I for one am not concerned about RB being filled. We have 4 players. TE however, only Rodgers who's less then inspiring if Ertz goes down. That alone makes me fine with the DG pick.

RB are a dime a dozen and can be addressed next off-season or via the draft if they so choose or it is a need.

27 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Just like to point out no matter who or what position was drafted, that player was going to be a Backup. 2nd, 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. I for one am not concerned about RB being filled. We have 4 players. TE however, only Rodgers who's less then inspiring if Ertz goes down. That alone makes me fine with the DG pick.

RB are a dime a dozen and can be addressed next off-season or via the draft.

Don't mess with me Nabbs. As far as I can see, Goedert will be a TE2 for this team for as long as Ertz is here who I'm in no hurry to move on from. Any other potential draft pick at a position mentioned could be a starter, playing starter snaps, as soon as next year. While Goedert will be used at what, like 30% of the plays max?

1 hour ago, Jroc04 said:

Don't mess with me Nabbs. As far as I can see, Goedert will be a TE2 for this team for as long as Ertz is here who I'm in no hurry to move on from. Any other potential draft pick at a position mentioned could be a starter, playing starter snaps, as soon as next year. While Goedert will be used at what, like 30% of the plays max?

If that 30% helps this team win another SB or get to the playoffs, I fail to see the issue

On 5/3/2018 at 10:33 PM, oland11 said:

It’s like watching a highlight of da’quan bowers or jadaveon clowney (in HS)

It's like watching a rb with no vision.  If he cuts right,  he's gone

36 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

If that 30% helps this team win another SB or get to the playoffs, I fail to see the issue

Everyone knows the key compenent to a long title run is a TE2. 

Wouldn't you rather your 2nd round pick have a chance to start for your team, Pete? 

12 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Everyone knows the key compenent to a long title run is a TE2. 

Wouldn't you rather your 2nd round pick have a chance to start for your team, Pete? 

Id want my 2nd round pick to be a player my head coach values as a commodity to help us win a championship. 

Archived