4th Round Pick (133rd Overall): J'Mon Moore [WR; Mizzou]

Packerraymond

1 minute ago, ArthurPensky said:

No the point was clearly implied that that J’mon would struggle more than others.

I'm not sure any of them are truly prepared to start Day 1 across from Cobb/Adams.  They're all working projects, which is why they were drafted.  Compared to ESB, I would argue that Moore probably has a bigger growing curve because of what has already been mentioned.  Does that mean he's not going to be useable as a rookie?  No, just means he needs to make up that difference.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:27 PM, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure any of them are truly prepared to start Day 1 across from Cobb/Adams.  They're all working projects, which is why they were drafted.  Compared to ESB, I would argue that Moore probably has a bigger growing curve because of what has already been mentioned.  Does that mean he's not going to be useable as a rookie?  No, just means he needs to make up that difference.

How many of the WRs drafted ahead of Moore will be ready day one to start for their team?  There won't be many.  There were 14 receivers taken ahead of Moore.  Maybe 2 or 3 will start on day one.  There is plenty to be excited about with both Moore and ESB.  More to be excited about than to worry about.  

On 5/19/2018 at 12:27 PM, CWood21 said:

I think what he's trying to get at is that the implication was that the two later WR's would be more NFL-ready than Moore. I'm also with @packfanfb on ESB. He's got the numbers you're looking for but that frame looks kinda gangly; though being 6-5... Still, who's to say he can't put on any healthy weight and maybe become a quicker Kelvin Benjamin/Mike Evans type of WR. THAT would make me happy.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:25 PM, ArthurPensky said:

No the point was clearly implied that that J’mon would struggle more than others.

That was never implied.  You wanted to compare Moore to Adams who was a day 1 starter in the league.  I think Moore is going to have a major learning curve in the league unless he's an extraordinarily quick learner.  Adams was a much more polished and productive WR coming out of Fresno State IMO. 

Of our rookie WRs, IMO Moore is probably the second most NFL ready.  ESB, while he has his deficiencies, IMO is a more versatile WR given his abilities to play in the slot. 

6 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

How many of the WRs drafted ahead of Moore will be ready day one to start for their team?  There won't be many.  There were 14 receivers taken ahead of Moore.  Maybe 2 or 3 will start on day one.  There is plenty to be excited about with both Moore and ESB.  More to be excited about than to worry about.  

DJ Moore is probably the #2 WR behind Funchess in Carolina, #3 at worst if Torrey Smith has anything left.  Ridley starts out as the #3 WR, but he could probably push for #2 by the end of the year.  Courtland Sutton is probably #3 unless DaeSean Hamilton sneaks in before him.  He'll take over for Demaryius Thomas sooner rather than later IMO.  I think Dante Pettis could be their #3 WR.  Not real sure about their DC.  I think there's a pretty good chance that Kirk starts as the slot WR almost immediately.  Anthony Miller is probably #3 at worst, probably pushes for #2 if he plays well early.  I'd make the argument that all the WRs from Michael Gallup on up (sans Chark) are going to be playing a notable amount of snaps early on.  I'm not saying we aren't going to be excited about Moore or ESB, but expecting them to play significant amount of snaps early on is unrealistic.

5 hours ago, Joe said:

I think what he's trying to get at is that the implication was that the two later WR's would be more NFL-ready than Moore. I'm also with @packfanfb on ESB. He's got the numbers you're looking for but that frame looks kinda gangly; though being 6-5... Still, who's to say he can't put on any healthy weight and maybe become a quicker Kelvin Benjamin/Mike Evans type of WR. THAT would make me happy.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer until we see them on the field.  But you have to look at what we know, which is that the Packers drafted J'Mon Moore in the 4th round and they drafted MVS in the 5th and ESB in the 6th.

2 hours ago, SSG said:

That was never implied.  You wanted to compare Moore to Adams who was a day 1 starter in the league.  I think Moore is going to have a major learning curve in the league unless he's an extraordinarily quick learner.  Adams was a much more polished and productive WR coming out of Fresno State IMO. 

Of our rookie WRs, IMO Moore is probably the second most NFL ready.  ESB, while he has his deficiencies, IMO is a more versatile WR given his abilities to play in the slot. 

Adams was a day one starter in this league? To who? Many wanted him cut after his rookie year + year 2.

15 hours ago, moretti19 said:

Wasn’t ESB suppose to be a 2nd round pick but slid to interviews. He has all the talent to start right away.

I would say he was more of a 3rd or 4th round prospect than a 2nd. Although early in the process (Really too early for mock drafts) he was considered to be a first or 2nd round prospect. Late in the process it wasn't that unusual to see him drop as low as the 6th when we picked him. Probably one of the more polarizing prospects in the draft. 

In the old "For what it is worth" category...

Here are links to the NFL.com site concerning the combine reports for the 3 rookie WR's...

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/equanimeous-st. brown?id=32462018-0002-5602-03f6-dbdbfff5cbea

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/equanimeous-st. brown?id=32462018-0002-5602-03f6-dbdbfff5cbea

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/j'mon-moore?id=32462018-0002-5600-241e-b3b4f7f6d768

ESB has the highest rating of all three.  Interesting write ups.  Worth the time for sure.

It would be great for the pads to go on and the speculation end. I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised with our receiving corp this year. Not certain any of the rookies HAVE to play significant roles either. It would be great if one of them stepped up, but I do not think it is mandatory for us to have a really good group.

Also, at this point maybe we should just group one thread together and call it 'rookie receivers'. 

15 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

Adams was a day one starter in this league? To who? Many wanted him cut after his rookie year + year 2.

To the Packers.  I don't care about what fans wanted in year 2, it means very little in regards to Adams playing time as rookie.  Adams was the opening drive starter in 11 games as a rookie. 

I went back and looked at his snap counts.  He actually wasn't a day 1 starter like I thought.  He started getting more snaps than Boykin in week 2 and actually became the "starter" in week 4 of his rookie year.  He played in over 70% of the offensive snaps which was almost 50% more than Jarrett Boykin. 

I wasn't on this board back then, but did people on this board really want to cut Adams year 2?  He played really badly, yes; but he was playing on bad ankles.  Seems weird that a board with so many good analysts now wouldn't have considered.  

Archived