Rnd4 pick 10- CB Nick Nelson

NCOUGHMAN

Per Walterfootball:

Oakland Raiders: Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin 
Grade A
This seems like a great value pick for the Raiders. Nick Nelson was seen as a second-round prospect before he hurt his knee during the pre-draft process. However, teams were optimistic about his ability to return soon, so Nelson should contribute for the Raiders in the near future, filling a big need at cornerback. 

He wouldn't of been my corner of choice where he was taken. He has really short arms and didn't test exceptionally well aside from his 3-cone. Watching him play shows a guy who can play press man but doesn't jam often (I suspect this is a product of his short arms). I'll try to watch more to see if I can get a better feel on him.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've seen of him, I'm a fan. He has the size to play inside or outside, he can mirror receivers fairly well, and his 3 cone reflects his smoothness in coverage. Being coached up some more will do him good. He'll contribute in year 1. He may be our 2nd most impactful rookie.

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

From what I've seen of him, I'm a fan. He has the size to play inside or outside, he can mirror receivers fairly well, and his 3 cone reflects his smoothness in coverage. Being coached up some more will do him good. He'll contribute in year 1. He may be our 2nd most impactful rookie.

Agree. He gets a bit grabby and he won't get away with that in the NFL, but I think he will be versatile and a good replacement for Carrie with upside to be more. He was one of my favourite picks as he looks to me to be good value and someone who start soon, which up until that point in the draft, we hadn't picked anyone you could necessarily say that about. 

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't think he can play outside, at least not his rookie year. Nelson has the tendency to rely on early contact to slow a receiver down at the top of routes, and I believe he lacks the length to reliably contest balls against some of the better receivers in the league. As far as his ability to start early, we'll see. Right now, I believe Marcus Gilchrist should start in the slot with Nelson backing him up.

4 hours ago, reddevil said:

Agree. He gets a bit grabby and he won't get away with that in the NFL, but I think he will be versatile and a good replacement for Carrie with upside to be more. He was one of my favourite picks as he looks to me to be good value and someone who start soon, which up until that point in the draft, we hadn't picked anyone you could necessarily say that about. 

I don't think he can give what Carrie gave over the last two seasons for the Raiders for some of the reasons I stated above. Another deficiency I see in his game is tackling. He's a willing tackler, but he doesn't bring a lot of stopping power despite his sturdy frame.

Ideally, I'd like to "redshirt" him and see how he develops in the preseason, and maybe give him some dime reps throughout the year.

• 2 weeks later...

PFF listed him as one of their boom-or-bust prospects. 

Nick Nelson’s 2017 tape at Wisconsin was fantastic, and he is one of the most impressive prospects at the position in this draft. He allowed just 37.7 percent of passes thrown into his coverage to be caught by receivers he was covering and allowed just 327 yards all season despite seeing the ball come his way 69 times. He also broke up 16 of those incompletions.

Archived