5th Round Pick (138th Overall): Cole Madison [OL; Washington State]

Packerraymond

I could be completely wrong, but I'm not expecting this guy be in shoulder pads until 2019.

I think he's decided that it's in his best personal interest to take (at least) a year off.

Not sure why... but if he's having problems with something, it's probably best to not add more stress and head injuries to the mix... or there might be a future Richie Incognito

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Most teams carry 9 OL, it's not like you'd have 3 weeks to decide if he's your starting RT or not. The guy we keep at #9 isn't going to be a very good OL, might as well be someone with upside.

I guess I prefer guys on the roster who actually deserve a spot. This kid is a 5th round pick, not a first. Give him the year to get his head straight. If he hasn't gotten it figured out by then, time to cut bait and get our money back.

Not sure what the kid is dealing with, but if he's questioning his wanting to play any longer, then it's time to move on in my opinion. I'm sure I'm in the minority and am perfectly OK with that position. 

If Madison is right I welcome him back with open arms no matter timeline. Just flat out bad business not to on MANY levels. Just talking football though, Madison is a pretty unique prospect in that he's far better in pass pro than he is as a run blocker. He comes with the set that often takes time to teach/develop. Cheap players with good feet are hard to find. 

20 hours ago, Golfman said:

My interpretation is if we wait until the start of the season we have 3 weeks to make a decision on the kid once/if he reports. Either activate to the 53 or waive him. If I'm wrong, that is fine, but this is not like the PUP list where you can keep him on IR. If you put him on a list where he's out for the year. You have an entire off season and TC to determine if he can play. 

I don't want 3 weeks during the season to try and evaluate whether this kid has NFL ability.

Why

Where is the huge downside in this? Sounds to me like you're just scared we'll keep him and somehow he'll have to play and be terrible 

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Why

Where is the huge downside in this? Sounds to me like you're just scared we'll keep him and somehow he'll have to play and be terrible 

I prefer guys who earn their spots. Also, why hold a spot for a kid whose not going to be ready. Stash him for a year and let him come back when he's completely into it with the personal stuff behind him. Like the Redskins did with Su'a Cravens a year ago. By the way, I guy who had proven he could play at this level and still got a year off after talking retirement. 

Again, I have no idea what is going on in this kids head. If being an NFL player was important he'd be here. It's not important enough for him to be here. If it's a serious personal issue, let him take his time and deal with it. Not sure why that is irrational to some here. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I prefer guys who earn their spots. Also, why hold a spot for a kid whose not going to be ready. Stash him for a year and let him come back when he's completely into it with the personal stuff behind him. Like the Redskins did with Su'a Cravens a year ago. By the way, I guy who had proven he could play at this level and still got a year off after talking retirement. 

Again, I have no idea what is going on in this kids head. If being an NFL player was important he'd be here. It's not important enough for him to be here. If it's a serious personal issue, let him take his time and deal with it. Not sure why that is irrational to some here. 

HE ISN'T TAKING ANY SPOTS

If he doesn't EARN it, then he can go to season ending then. There's literally zero reason to do it now unless you're just peeved he didn't report.

This is akin to putting a guy on IR 30 seconds after he gets carted off.

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

It's irrational because

1. They already have stashed him away on a list... yet people are demanding he get stashed away on a list
  2. Because the kid has some personal issues, and you're coming off as a bully, telling people what this isn't important to him, which is highly questionable at best. Just because the kid has more important personal issues, doesn't mean he should be thrown under the bus.

I hate to pile on here, but just when it seems as if society is slowly removing the stigma of getting help I read certain posts or hear similar opinions...

We're going to draft multiple OL in the next draft, you can count on that...

18 hours ago, Norm said:

Why

Here is where maybe I"m confused. 

The Did Not report list the team would have 21 days to make a decision on him once he reported. Activate him after 21 days or release him. Given he's not going to be here for any of the preseason that seems too small a window to see if the kid can play.

If they move him to the 'reserve/left the team' list. They shelve him for all of 2018 and he's back in 2019. Pretty big distinction and a safer way to go with the kid IMO. 

I don't think we are arguing semantics here. 

Archived