5th Round Pick (138th Overall): Cole Madison [OL; Washington State]

Packerraymond

22 minutes ago, Golfman said:

It might be time to put this kid on a season ending reserve list. He's not going to play this year for us. No sense waiting around at this point. I wish the kid well in whatever he's dealing with, but to count on him for this season is foolish! 

There's ZERO reason to do this right now. Why do we want to do this so bad

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

It might be time to put this kid on a season ending reserve list. He's not going to play this year for us. No sense waiting around at this point. I wish the kid well in whatever he's dealing with, but to count on him for this season is foolish! 

What's wrong with the list he's currently on? ... also do we know that it doesn't become season ending at some point? I thought most of these listed did become season ending because they want to stop teams from hiding healthy players on them.

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

He's on reserve/did not report which means he doesn't count against the roster.  How exactly are they counting on him?

52 minutes ago, Beast said:

What's wrong with the list he's currently on? ... also do we know that it doesn't become season ending at some point? I thought most of these listed did become season ending because they want to stop teams from hiding healthy players on them.

I don't think there's much worry about teams trying to stash players by having them never report to practice. Especially given that if a player is on the Did Not Report list after Aug 9 they lose that year as far as accrual for UFA goes.

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I don't think there's much worry about teams trying to stash players by having them never report to practice. Especially given that if a player is on the Did Not Report list after Aug 9 they lose that year as far as accrual for UFA goes.

Not currently no... but a lot of those rules where written long ago when there was less press and more cheating including attempting to get some college players to secretly show up and play under false names, which I believe the Packers even once got in trouble for... so I believe most of those reserve lists do end a players season at some point, though I don't know about the did not report list specifically.

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Correct me if I"m wrong, but the list he's on would give us a 2 or 3 week window if he did report then we'd either have to activate him to the 53 or cut him. If that is incorrect then I stand corrected. If I'm correct then put him on a list to end his year and give the kid a fresh start next year. 

There is no chance in HELL he'll be NFL ready in 2, 3 weeks as a rookie with all the time he's missed. His rookie year is toast IMO. 

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

Correct me if I"m wrong, but the list he's on would give us a 2 or 3 week window if he did report then we'd either have to activate him to the 53 or cut him. If that is incorrect then I stand corrected. If I'm correct then put him on a list to end his year and give the kid a fresh start next year. 

There is no chance in HELL he'll be NFL ready in 2, 3 weeks as a rookie with all the time he's missed. His rookie year is toast IMO. 

I agree with both. Yeah he won't get ready and yes I think that's the rule. BUT I wouldn't care if he got those weeks then we stashed him instead of saying nah, you just don't get a chance. There's just no reason to say no, you are just done. Who knows, maybe something awful happens we want a look at least, can't hurt to do what we're doing, unless I don't actually know the rule. 

16 minutes ago, Norm said:

I agree with both. Yeah he won't get ready and yes I think that's the rule. BUT I wouldn't care if he got those weeks then we stashed him instead of saying nah, you just don't get a chance. There's just no reason to say no, you are just done. Who knows, maybe something awful happens we want a look at least, can't hurt to do what we're doing, unless I don't actually know the rule. 

My interpretation is if we wait until the start of the season we have 3 weeks to make a decision on the kid once/if he reports. Either activate to the 53 or waive him. If I'm wrong, that is fine, but this is not like the PUP list where you can keep him on IR. If you put him on a list where he's out for the year. You have an entire off season and TC to determine if he can play. 

I don't want 3 weeks during the season to try and evaluate whether this kid has NFL ability.

12 minutes ago, Golfman said:

My interpretation is if we wait until the start of the season we have 3 weeks to make a decision on the kid once/if he reports. Either activate to the 53 or waive him. If I'm wrong, that is fine, but this is not like the PUP list where you can keep him on IR. If you put him on a list where he's out for the year. You have an entire off season and TC to determine if he can play. 

I don't want 3 weeks during the season to try and evaluate whether this kid has NFL ability.

Most teams carry 9 OL, it's not like you'd have 3 weeks to decide if he's your starting RT or not. The guy we keep at #9 isn't going to be a very good OL, might as well be someone with upside.

Archived