49ers select DJ Reed , CB, Kansas St. at #142

y2lamanaki

Very interesting pick. Just a good all around football player. Watched some clips of him a few weeks ago and loved his competitiveness. Not scared to tackle and will battle with bigger WRs. Played a lot of off man coverage but I'm assuming we will try him out in the slot first? Truthfully I didn't see him play any slot on the clips I saw. Showed nice recover ability on a INT on a post route. 

Nickerson fits the boundary corner better, but in the slot I guess Reed will compete with Williams and Ward? That is if Ward is tried in the slot and not on the outside?

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Very interesting pick. Just a good all around football player. Watched some clips of him a few weeks ago and loved his competitiveness. Not scared to tackle and will battle with bigger WRs. Played a lot of off man coverage but I'm assuming we will try him out in the slot first? Truthfully I didn't see him play any slot on the clips I saw. Showed nice recover ability on a INT on a post route. 

Nickerson fits the boundary corner better, but in the slot I guess Reed will compete with Williams and Ward? That is if Ward is tried in the slot and not on the outside?

I've given up trying to figure out how we deploy everyone. I mean, Solomon Thomas will be playing some LEO this year...who knows what in the world we are doing. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I've given up trying to figure out how we deploy everyone. I mean, Solomon Thomas will be playing some LEO this year...who knows what in the world we are doing. 

Thomas played LEO last year too though. On base downs it's fine, just as long as he is rushing from the inside on passing downs.

But I know size wise it makes sense Reed plays the slot, but didn't see him line up there once in the clips I saw. Think he has good instincts and wouldn't mind seeing him on the outside first, though that is doubtful. 

Reed's competitiveness will give him a shot to win the slot spot from Williams. Going to be a nice battle. 

2 minutes ago, Geek said:

I like it but isn't it a given he'll be the third slot corner after Ward and Williams?

This tells me Ward will be playing or at least starting out playing boundary corner? Shanny did say he will start camp opposite of Witherspoon with Sherman still recovering from his injury. 

DJ Jeremiah is a fan of the pick as I am. Super competitive. Good point that he is a good KR, but will Pettis only be a primarily a PR? Williams has his work cut out for him. 

20 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

See, this is why I want to see him at least get a shot to play on the outside. Closes really well when he played off man. Slot is completely different and he will need to get closer up the LOS, but probably will be fine there. 

Absolute playmaker. From Pettis to Warner to Moore to Reed, definitely want to generate more big plays on both sides of the field. 

Also, had no idea he walked on at Fresno State but was told he couldn't help the defense. Smh, had to be DeRuyter. 

36 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Absolute playmaker. From Pettis to Warner to Moore to Reed, definitely want to generate more big plays on both sides of the field. 

Also, had no idea he walked on at Fresno State but was told he couldn't help the defense. Smh, had to be DeRuyter. 

No doubt a playmaker, I think he should get a shot outside this camp, especially since Sherman will likely avoid too much offseason activity while he rehabs back. 

he reminds me of Jourdan Lewis a little bit. 

Archived