Bears Pick Bilal Nichols in the 5th Round

Sugashane

I know he was doubled often.  That happens to NGs.  They put him on ground a lot.  Once is too much.  

His first step is snail like.  He has zero quick twitch and he doesn’t make up for it with crazy brute strength or size.  I don’t like him.  

Hope I’m wrong.  

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I know he was doubled often.  That happens to NGs.  They put him on ground a lot.  Once is too much.  

His first step is snail like.  He has zero quick twitch and he doesn’t make up for it with crazy brute strength or size.  I don’t like him.  

Hope I’m wrong.  

Ill refer you to Mayock who said go back to the 2016 tape where is palyaing 3 tech and its better look at the movement skills.

And again its not that he was doubled, its that his job was to absorb double teams and eat space.  He was playing 0 tech in a 30 front.  His role is not looking for him to generate pressure.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Hope I’m wrong.  

Whether you assess him as having no quick twitch on film is one thing. But his testing would tell you he has a lot of quick twitch for a player his size

At 306lbs.

-4.95 [40]

-30.5" vert

-9'4" broad

Those are all very explosive numbers for a guy his size.

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Ill refer you to Mayock who said go back to the 2016 tape where is palyaing 3 tech and its better look at the movement skills.

And again its not that he was doubled, its that his job was to absorb double teams and eat space.  He was playing 0 tech in a 30 front.  His role is not looking for him to generate pressure.

I know what a 0 tech is and what he is supposed to do.  He didn't do his job most of the time.  I'm telling you his coach was pissed after that game in the film session.  

The Vtech center handled him one on one too.  I stand by what I said.  Maybe it was a bad game.   Can't really fairly judge a guy off one game.  Could have been a bad game.  Could have been hurt.  Maybe his girlfriend broke up with him.  Who knows?

As to other comment, I care very little about combine numbers compared to what I see on grass with pads.

He's a 5th rounder.  Most of those guys aren't that good (for pros).  Not expecting Vita Vea or Vince Wolfork.   I just don't think he is very good off those clips.  Maybe against lesser competition he looked better.

He excelled at the East / West Shrine game and was subsequently invited to the Senior Bowl and combine.

From Matt Miller:

Two names to know both play on the defensive line, and both come from small schools: Sam Houston State's P.J. Hall and Delaware's Bilal Nichols.

Nichols has length (34 ⅜" arms) and size (6'3 ½", 301 lbs) and has the versatility to play defensive end in a 3-4 or an inside tackle spot as a pass-rusher in a 4-3. He made plays all week and in the game. The biggest knock I heard from scouts was he has a motor that often overheats, and he'll shut down for plays. But if he can get motivated and conditioned, Nichols has NFL tools.

I am judging him off one game and 2 reps I saw at Senior bowl practice.  I admit my info is too limited to make an informed decision on him.  And I also understand he was playing out of position in that game.

My snap judgment based on what I have seen leans negative.   That's all.  Maybe a I watch something else and I change my mind.  

Neither here nor there, but if you were going to take a chance in late rounds on a guy stuck playing out of position in college or a tweener I would rather you take a higher competition play making dude like Hercules Mata'afa.  He would be a stud on multiple special teams and has a small chance to develop into a rush 3-4 LB.       He beat everybody inside off ball with his first step game in and game out.  

https://www.cougcenter.com/2018/4/28/17274140/hercules-mataafa-udfa-minnesota-vikings-wsu-cougars-nfl-draft

Archived