Cowboys trade for Rams WR Tavon Austin

D82

6 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Which receivers do we think make the team and start?

Hurns Williams Beasley Switzer Gallup Brown Austin Thompson

Hurns Williams Beasley Switzer Gallup are likely locks.

.. Austin makes this team over Brown and Thompson ONLY if two things happen:

1. He shows he can contribute as better return man than Switz.

2. He shows he can contribute as a passing down tailback, which might be hard given Zeke can do it all. Not a big need for a Dunbar when you have a Zeke.

I honestly dont believe Austin makes the team unless Brown completely flops in camp or we dont carry 4 backfield guys (possibility)

7 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

Waste of a trade in my opinion. He is not a RB and is a terrible WR. He can contribute as a PR but thats about it.

I wouldnt go that far. His open field speed is something the team has not had in a while, and for a sixth round pick at a 1mill$ cap charge, well worth a looksie at how the team can use him. Even as a punt return man on every other punt return, taking the 3rd halfback slot on the roster, thats worth it.

He'll make the team. He'll likely be our starting return man on both punts and kicks. He'll maybe fill in as a 3rd down back since it appears the rookie ones we wanted are gone. Along with special plays designed to get him the ball in space similar to the Lucky Whitehead jet sweeps, but may even get screens as well since he is a better version of Lucky. All that along with his salary not even showing up on the radar ensure his spot imo.

22 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I wouldnt go that far. His open field speed is something the team has not had in a while, and for a sixth round pick at a 1mill$ cap charge, well worth a looksie at how the team can use him. Even as a punt return man on every other punt return, taking the 3rd halfback slot on the roster, thats worth it.

Only one million good value but I gather they are going to use him more as a third down rb. He's fast but not sure this move is gonna work. I like switzer as a punt returner as well so not sure he even makes the roster which would make this trade a waste. 

44 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

He'll make the team. He'll likely be our starting return man on both punts and kicks. He'll maybe fill in as a 3rd down back since it appears the rookie ones we wanted are gone. Along with special plays designed to get him the ball in space similar to the Lucky Whitehead jet sweeps, but may even get screens as well since he is a better version of Lucky. All that along with his salary not even showing up on the radar ensure his spot imo.

I like this evaluation as well. 

Archived