Cowboys trade for Rams WR Tavon Austin

D82

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

He'll make the team. He'll likely be our starting return man on both punts and kicks. He'll maybe fill in as a 3rd down back since it appears the rookie ones we wanted are gone. Along with special plays designed to get him the ball in space similar to the Lucky Whitehead jet sweeps, but may even get screens as well since he is a better version of Lucky. All that along with his salary not even showing up on the radar ensure his spot imo.

This is pretty fair, and his values are a huge boost (speed, versatility, low cap hit)

And now with Switzer traded, it makes sense Austin sticks around as the return man. 

But as a receiver his routes and hands have just never developed. As a runner, he has vision, just not the patience. He can contribute to an offense but relying on him for a play can bite ya in the rear -

That said, again, the Switz trade jjst sealed Austin in as the returner and likely gives him a roster spot by default.

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

Now that Switzer has been traded I think it reaffirms Austin is indeed making the team. 

Yeah, kind of obvious they intended to do two things, maybe three, with the trade -

Bring some true top flight speed to the offense, even in a limited role

Upgrade the return game (no does not mean Switz sucked)

Add a more versatile weapon, even in a limited role, to the offense (from the slot, from the tail, or some chances.for deep routes from out wide, with a player who can make guys miss) 

I still think if Switz stayed, Austin would have a hard time making the team. But moving Switz? They made their intentions pretty clear..and its not a bad try with an inexpensive attempt. 

To be fair I think neither guy is really going to define their new teams success, or lack of it. Ward however..just might. 

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We really missed the Lucky Whitehead package In our offense last year. Austin is a rich-man’s Lucky. 6th round picks are barely even favorites to make the roster.

Good use of resources here.

I agree with this.    That is one reason I see Austin on field in a lot of hire down plus five or second long packages.    He cannot also be a real weapon on dump offs and wheel routes I imagine lots of options here to add the speed we missed last year

1 hour ago, Desperado82 said:

Football is a game of chess. It's not only about the one play, it's also about setting up future plays.

So the idea that the only value from the jet sweep is from breaking off huge runs on the reverse is silly. Teams respected Lucky in that package, and that opened up so many huge plays for Dak and Zeke.

We didn't have anyone who teams respected in that package last year to the point that we basically abandoned it. I'd be shocked it that doesn't become a big part of our offense again with Tavon.

I studied each and every carry by Austin this past season and a few things stand out 

-He has very good vision when approaching traffic. He always seems to take the proper route

-If he was more adept at slowing his pace instead of staying in top gear, he would probably have scored on at least 4 long runs

-He can be tough to catch but goes down very easily when impact is made

-I think he is better getting the ball in space than getting the ball behind the line on a carry, because he rarely makes anyone miss but has the vision and speed to avoid traffic

-Surprisingly good at maintaining balance on the sideline. He outran several cornerbacks to the sideline and maintained proper footing as he sprinted up the side. 

-Could be a good addition to the offense as a guy catching screens, bubbles and hitches - very tough to close the gap on with how swift he can turn and run

Archived