Jason Kelce Looking to Bounce Back

Phire

Stout [offensive-line coach Jeff Stoutland] is really on me this year about using the proper technique and fundamentals. And I think that’s going to pay off big.’’

The biggest question regarding Kelce is whether he is a very good fit for the Eagles’ offensive line anymore. He is one of the most athletic centers in the league, which is why Mudd loved him.

But the Eagles aren’t really about athleticism up front anymore in Doug Pederson’s offense. They are about power.

Right guard Brandon Brooks weighs 350 pounds. Left tackle Jason Peters appears to be up to about 340-345. Right tackle Lane Johnson is 320. And the 6-4 Seumalo, who probably will open the season as the  starting left guard, while only 305 pounds, might be the team’s most powerful offensive lineman.

“There are some things in his game, and we’ve talked about this, that he needs to improve on,’’ Stoutland said of Kelce.

At Stoutland’s request, Kelce bulked up during the offseason, adding  10 to 15 pounds to help him cope with the bigger tackles who have been giving him trouble.

“I think this is the heaviest he’s been since I’ve been here,’’ said Stoutland, who has been with the Eagles since 2013. “I think there’s technique things we can do to help him. And it’s up to him to buy in and utilize those.’’

13 hours ago, Phire said:
At Stoutland’s request, Kelce bulked up during the offseason, adding  10 to 15 pounds to help him cope with the bigger tackles who have been giving him trouble.

Honestly, This might be the biggest thing. To go from 295 pounds to 305 or 310 would be big for Kelce to handle those NTs. While he still may be one of the best pulling centers (if not the best) in the league, our offense isn't predicated on that anymore and its more important for him to be able to neutralize those 330lb DTs.

I'll believe it when I see it. I think it's going to be hard to keep that weight on for Kelce. He's the type of guy that when he retires he's going to shrink down to 220-230 lbs. He already packs as much functional weight on his body as he can. 

17 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I'll believe it when I see it. I think it's going to be hard to keep that weight on for Kelce. He's the type of guy that when he retires he's going to shrink down to 220-230 lbs. He already packs as much functional weight on his body as he can. 

I assume the team isn't lying to us that he gained the extra poundage but who knows.

1 minute ago, Hockey5djh said:

I assume the team isn't lying to us that he gained the extra poundage but who knows.

I'm not saying he didn't add the weight. I'm saying once the grind of the season gets going he's going to have a hard time keeping that weight on. This is year 7 in the NFL for him, and for the most part throughout his career he's had issues getting blown off the ball by bigger players. If it was so easy to put the weight on, functional weight I'm talking, not fat guy weight then I'd imagine he wouldn't have waited until he was almost 30 to do it.

Am I crazy for thinking this?

I agree he'll have a hard time maintaining the weight in season. He isn't a 300lbs man. He just isn't. But boy... he looked like a fullback during Chip's program and fast paced offense. He lost the weight he had as a rookie. He just needs to gain that back.

Kelce gaining weight does nothing to boost my optimism. The problem isn't him being too light, it's him being too weak. There's a reason he didn't bench at his pro day or combine, and that reason is because he's weak as hell, whether he weighs 280 or 310. We should just move him to fullback and start Wis at C.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping someone would find that play. Sorry but not many OC in the league make that play especially after tripping!!! That has always been Kelce greatest  attribute. DTM should consider using him in that capacity more often. Mind blowing concept I Know but maybe DTM can get out of his own way and utilize players correctly.

Archived