Jason Kelce Looking to Bounce Back

Phire

10 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Kelce just struggles against nose tackles. Giants dont  have one so he had a good game. Not really surprising. 

He struggled against everything last year. Wasn't just NTs.

1 hour ago, ninjapirate said:
4 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

The Giants have the best nose tackle in the league...

What you talking about? lol

The giants d plays 1 and 3. No one plays zero. 

FWIW

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-defensive-line-techniques-the-2017-prototypes

1-TECHNIQUE (4-3 NT) – DAMON HARRISON, NYG

The 1-technique is also referred to as Nose Tackle, and is very similar to 0-technique in that they both play over the center. The defining difference between the two, is the 1-technique shades over one of the shoulders of the center and usually is responsible for just one gap. The 1-technique, like the 0-tech, is expected to take on double teams from the center and guard which produces one-on-one matchups for the rest of the defensive line, allowing them to attack the backfield. The difference is that this alignment has been most often used with a 4-3 front.

From 2012 to 2015, we saw Harrison establish him as the prototype 0-tech and after switching teams in 2016, Harrison established himself as the prototype 1-tech as well. Whatever defensive front you run, Damon Harrison is the nose tackle you want in the middle of it. Harrison is that good, and in his first year as a 1-tech he racked up ten more run stops than the next closest interior defender, while also leading the league in run-stop percentage at 15.8. A good 1-technique can make the lives of the entire defensive front seven easier, so it is no surprise to see the Giants defense elevate their play the way they did last season.

No matter what shade Harrison plays he would be the best 0 technique if he had to play there like he did before coming to the Giants.

Dude is a load to handle even if Kelce got some help.

Kelce is PFF's 2nd rated center with a rating of 93.4. The Eagles OL is pretty awesome as a unit as well. Not sure how accurate these ratings are, as there are some serious head scratchers as well with Malcolm Jenkins being the number 60 ranked safety, and Patrick Robinson as the number 4 ranked corner. 

Peters (#3 T)

Wiz (#21 G)

Kelce (#2 C)

Brooks (#10 G)

Johnson (#4 T)

36 minutes ago, furti said:

there are some serious head scratchers as well with Malcolm Jenkins being the number 60 ranked safety, and Patrick Robinson as the number 4 ranked corner. 

I'm not sure how these are really serious head scratchers.

Don't think Jenkins played that well to start off this season and Robinson definitely has.

Edit: With that said I think Jenkins has played better the past couple weeks but I haven't seen all 22 this year this year since I don't have gamepass.

8 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I'm not sure how these are really serious head scratchers.

Don't think Jenkins played that well to start off this season and Robinson definitely has.

Edit: With that said I think Jenkins has played better the past couple weeks but I haven't seen all 22 this year this year since I don't have gamepass.

Well, Jenkins has not played his best season, sure. But nr 60 is practically the worst starting safety in the league. I don't think that is true at all. 

As for Robinson, he is playing good, much better than expected, he is tackling well, he had some pbu-s and a fluke interception. But nr 4 seems to be too high. 

Consider this @furti.

They aren’t saying Robinson is the 4th best CB in the NFL. They’re saying, through their metric, that his play ranks 4th. 

Two things help this.

Our pass rush has been great. This has helped mask some problems in the secondary. It has made some guys look better by forcing the QB to make errant or untimely throws.

Also, Jalen Mills, entering yesterday, has been targeted more times than anybody in the NFL. That means Robinson just isn’t getting the ball thrown his way. That means he can’t even show up on tape playing poorly. That means according to metrics, he’s been a shut-down cornerback.

So as long as teams keep throwing to Mills, Robinson only has to step up on occasional plays.

• 3 months later...

Archived