5.26 (163) Washington Redskins select Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech

Woz

1 hour ago, Woz said:

After this pick and Payne, if I were any of the veterans on the team not named Ioannidis or Allen, I would be putting my house on the market because I'm not long for the roster.

Eh, 5th round picks aren't exactly a sure thing. This guy is a NT

5 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Just curious on your guys opinions... I personally feel that daron Payne is more of a DE in a 3-4 than NT. With that being said, do you think maybe by the end of a season we could have a lineup that looks like Allen, Settle, Payne. With Ionaddis rotating in. Or think Payne sticks at NT and  we go Allen, Payne, Ionaddis. With Settle giving Payne a break sometimes and coming in for goal line situations? I personally like the first situation the best, but I'm also very high on Settle and don't like Payne as a NT.

Hopefully Payne will prove versatile enough to play both NT and DE.  I can see them doing all sorts of rotations with the 3 man front to keep them fresh.  For the first time since we switched to the 3-4 (been almost 10 years) I feel like we have a quality 3 man front.  

10 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Just curious on your guys opinions... I personally feel that daron Payne is more of a DE in a 3-4 than NT. With that being said, do you think maybe by the end of a season we could have a lineup that looks like Allen, Settle, Payne. With Ionaddis rotating in. Or think Payne sticks at NT and  we go Allen, Payne, Ionaddis. With Settle giving Payne a break sometimes and coming in for goal line situations? I personally like the first situation the best, but I'm also very high on Settle and don't like Payne as a NT.

My guess is you might see Allen, Settle, Payne out there against certain teams (Dallas, Jacksonville, maybe the Giants depending on how their run game shakes out) and maybe more often if injuries thin us out at DE — but I think for the most part the plan will be to have Settle (and maybe Phil Taylor) spelling Payne and Lanier/McGee spelling the DEs. 

Payne might not be the classic two-gap space eater (although I think he’d probably be pretty good at that too), but in our one-gapping system I think he’s almost a prototype NT. You don’t see many guys with that combination of anchor and first step — he’s really one of the better run defenders I’ve seen in recent years. The key will be whether he can translate his improved pass rush output (in terms of pressures) to the NFL game and give us some of that critical interior push.

And if you’re concerned about his size and ability to hold up, keep in mind that he’ll have one of the more dominant young DE run defenders in the game playing next to him. They’re going to be a real tough combo there in the middle.

4 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I would say Payne is the starting NT Allen and Ioaniddis are the starting ends. With a rotation of McClain, McGee, Settle, Taylor and Lanier.

47 minutes ago, Eric said:

I will admit Apke could have been a reach but I wont doom I wouldn't doom it yet as a bad pick. Last year I didn't know who Montae Nicholson was and hes pretty good. Same round I think.

You have to admit though, its been a pretty good draft so far

Exactly. And, can’t we just be exited that we got a run stuffer who offers some moss Rush ability this late in the draft?

I don’t know why some always want to wiz in everyone’s Cheerios but it just makes you wonder if they’re ever happy 

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I would say Payne is the starting NT Allen and Ioaniddis are the starting ends. With a rotation of McClain, McGee, Settle, Taylor and Lanier.

Not a chance that many DL make the roster, it’s 7 at the most and could be 6 if a young player balls out at another position that we like, if we keep an extra OL or if we keep all 3 QBs this year.

RDE: Allen, Lanier

NT: Payne, Taylor, Settle

LDE: Ioannidis, McGee or Hood

That’s my 7 DL.

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Pretty nice. Rebuilt the DL in two years with tons of young talent. I’d keep drafting defense next year too. Keep building this thing up. 

I’d like to also, we still need a long term solution at ILB.

That being said, depending on what certain players show on offense this year - not naming any names as to not jinx it - we could be looking to draft some playmakers next year and we still could be in LG “need” mode.

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

My guess is you might see Allen, Settle, Payne out there against certain teams (Dallas, Jacksonville, maybe the Giants depending on how their run game shakes out) and maybe more often if injuries thin us out at DE — but I think for the most part the plan will be to have Settle (and maybe Phil Taylor) spelling Payne and Lanier/McGee spelling the DEs. 

Payne might not be the classic two-gap space eater (although I think he’d probably be pretty good at that too), but in our one-gapping system I think he’s almost a prototype NT. You don’t see many guys with that combination of anchor and first step — he’s really one of the better run defenders I’ve seen in recent years. The key will be whether he can translate his improved pass rush output (in terms of pressures) to the NFL game and give us some of that critical interior push.

And if you’re concerned about his size and ability to hold up, keep in mind that he’ll have one of the more dominant young DE run defenders in the game playing next to him. They’re going to be a real tough combo there in the middle.

This, I can’t like this enough, and I have to wonder why webmaster put a limit on the amount of likes one can use in a day! I always use mine up quick because I like what everyone is saying so much.

Payne/Allen/Ioannidis and Lanier too is going to be a sick rotation for us. I believe these are the players who will get most of the snaps on our DL bc we are in nickel about 70% of the time.

5 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I would have loved for McClain and/or McGee to get cut and keep 7 on the 53. 4 DEs and 3 NT/rotational DEs.

I think it’s possible they even keep Hood over McGee, but it’s probably unlikely. I’m pretty sure McGee will make the team, but one thing to consider is that Hood has become the leader of the DL group - the way Kedric Golston used to be - and as long as the production is about equal to the other player, coaches will tend to keep that position group vet leader over another guy even if that guy is younger.

So there’s a possibility that both McClain and McGee are gone and Taylor and Hood are kept over them.

I would of been furious at this pick any earlier. But like it in this position.  Could be a solid backup for many years, with a small chance he could actually become a quality starter. You cant ask for better than that from the 5th round.

Archived