Woz

5.26 (163) Washington Redskins select Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Eh, 5th round picks aren't exactly a sure thing. This guy is a NT

However, if a team spends two draft picks that are directly targeting your position, that's kind of a big warning sign.

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

2 down run stuffers seem to slide every year.

Not sure that’s all settle is tbh. Guys his size shouldn’t have moves like Jagger like he does. 

8 hours ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Just curious on your guys opinions... I personally feel that daron Payne is more of a DE in a 3-4 than NT. With that being said, do you think maybe by the end of a season we could have a lineup that looks like Allen, Settle, Payne. With Ionaddis rotating in. Or think Payne sticks at NT and  we go Allen, Payne, Ionaddis. With Settle giving Payne a break sometimes and coming in for goal line situations? I personally like the first situation the best, but I'm also very high on Settle and don't like Payne as a NT.

This would be ideal 

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Not sure that’s all settle is tbh. Guys his size shouldn’t have moves like Jagger like he does. 

That’s right, some have said he may be more of a 3-tech than a true NT anyways because of his quickness. 

When I think about it, Settle reminds me of a young - very young 20 years old - Chris Baker.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Hopefully Payne will prove versatile enough to play both NT and DE.  I can see them doing all sorts of rotations with the 3 man front to keep them fresh.  For the first time since we switched to the 3-4 (been almost 10 years) I feel like we have a quality 3 man front.  

In 2011 our starting 3 down lineman were awesome but then 2 of them got hurt the following season and our DL fell apart and hasn’t been as good since until hopefully this year.

We were stout against the run and got after the passer, it’s why our defense ranked 12th in the nfl. If someone other than Grossman and Beck had been our qbs, we probably would’ve made the playoffs or at least come close.

In 2011, Bowen had 6 sacks, Carriker had 5.5 sacks and Cofield had 3 sacks at NT. So they gave us 14.5 sacks, then you had Orakpo and Kerrigan combing for 16.5. That year I think we were top 10 in sacks.

Shanahan also franchised the wrong player in 2012 when he chose to franchise Fred Davis over Laron Landry. Losing Landry in 2012 was another huge hit to our defense, especially our run defense. A lot of people forget that too.

Edited by turtle28

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That’s right, some have said he may be more of a 3-tech than a true NT anyways because of his quickness. 

When I think about it, Settle reminds me of a young - very young 20 years old - Chris Baker.

Yeah I know he’s built like a NT, but he was better against the pass than run. It’s why I was convinced he was a 4-3 guy. Still for a 5th rounder? Absolutely worth the pick. 

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Physically, right Turtle and not lazy effort wise? 

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2018 at 11:13 AM, Doc Draper said:

Physically, right Turtle and not lazy effort wise? 

Physically and his agility for a man his size. Teams were worried about his weight, that’s part of the reason why he didn’t go in round 2 or 3.

The difference between Settle though and Baker to me is that I believe Settle will play anywhere you want him to play. Meaning, he’s not going to act like Baker and refuse to play NT for 3 years when he’s the best option there after Cofield got hurt and if he had, he may be our starting NT today and be making $5 or 6 million to do so.

Edited by turtle28

On 4/28/2018 at 3:46 PM, lavar703 said:

Are we doing this positive/negative fan thing again? I get it, you swallow everything they do and like it. I call them out when I think they’ve done something stupid and I think this was an awful reach and a waste of a fourth round pick. The rest of the draft has been tremendous so they can afford to take a chance like this but let’s not act like this guy was worth a fourth round pick. It’s very typical of this team.

I hear ya and agree with ya Brother. 

I wonder if Doug stepped out and Brice made the third and fourth round picks. Very Solid with these exceptions. 

On 4/29/2018 at 10:14 AM, MikeT14 said:

Yeah I know he’s built like a NT, but he was better against the pass than run. It’s why I was convinced he was a 4-3 guy. Still for a 5th rounder? Absolutely worth the pick. 

Like Chris Baker

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2018 at 3:46 PM, lavar703 said:

Are we doing this positive/negative fan thing again? I get it, you swallow everything they do and like it. I call them out when I think they’ve done something stupid and I think this was an awful reach and a waste of a fourth round pick. The rest of the draft has been tremendous so they can afford to take a chance like this but let’s not act like this guy was worth a fourth round pick. It’s very typical of this team.

Why are you always pissing in the Cheerios? Lol 

Also, cut and paste this reaction from the reactions of every Redskins fan from Nicholson’s 4th round selection last year because we read on 5 much drafts that Apke would’ve been there for us in round 6 or 7 and Walterfootball can’t be wrong!

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Why are you always pissing in the Cheerios? Lol 

Also, cut and paste this reaction from the reactions of every Redskins fan from Nicholson’s 4th round selection last year because we read on 5 much drafts that Apke would’ve been there for us in round 6 or 7 and Walterfootball can’t be wrong!

Nicholson has had a couple good games and then got himself injured. For all we know he could be Chris Horton. If they wanted a safety it would’ve been much smarter to draft Derwin James over Payne. Especially considering we ended up with Settle later in the draft. Apke was not a good pick in the fourth round. 

I think they did really well in this draft. Probably my favorite draft they’ve had in years but it doesn’t excuse reaching for a guy who simply wasn’t worth the pick. It’s no different than you constantly killing McCloughan over reaching for Matt Jones. And yes, that was a reach that most of us accurately pegged the moment the pick happened. This is no different. 

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Nicholson has had a couple good games and then got himself injured. For all we know he could be Chris Horton. If they wanted a safety it would’ve been much smarter to draft Derwin James over Payne. Especially considering we ended up with Settle later in the draft. Apke was not a good pick in the fourth round. 

I think they did really well in this draft. Probably my favorite draft they’ve had in years but it doesn’t excuse reaching for a guy who simply wasn’t worth the pick. It’s no different than you constantly killing McCloughan over reaching for Matt Jones. And yes, that was a reach that most of us accurately pegged the moment the pick happened. This is no different. 

I don’t kill McCloughan for just Jones. It’s Jones and now Cravens and Doctson is still a question mark. He also did not address the DL properly while he was our GM because he himself admitted that it’s his worse position at scouting, hence him passing on Leonard Williams and drafting a horrible bust in Kentwan Balmer while in San Fran.

Also, Settle isn’t Payne. I understand you’re a hokie but a dancing bear like Settle isn’t the player Payne is. We can’t rely on Phil Taylor, McGee or Hood to be the answer. If we pass on Payne there we may miss on him if we trade down to 27 and we would’ve missed on Janes and Edmunds. What do we do then? Take will Hernandez I guess... or Michel/ Cubb?

The only thing I can say is that unless Hankins is liking for something outrageous in a contract just about every skins would’ve signed him before the draft and addressed the LG position. If we had done that in FA then yeah, we go James at 13 bc he’s bpa and we don’t have a glaring need. 

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Also, Settle isn’t Payne. I understand you’re a hokie but a dancing bear like Settle isn’t the player Payne is. We can’t rely on Phil Taylor, McGee or Hood to be the answer. If we pass on Payne there we may miss on him if we trade down to 27 and we would’ve missed on Janes and Edmunds. What do we do then? Take will Hernandez I guess... or Michel/ Cubb?

1. With regards to the bolded, amazing what a year's difference makes.
  2. As I said in the draft, Taven Bryan was an option. Or do what the Packers did and trade back up into the round.