Jump to content
Woz

5.26 (163) Washington Redskins select Tim Settle, DT, Virginia Tech

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Woz said:
  1. With regards to the bolded, amazing what a year's difference makes.
  2. As I said in the draft, Taven Bryan was an option. Or do what the Packers did and trade back up into the round.

Bryan isn’t a a nose tackle, he’s a 3 tech. We certainly could have drafted other guys like Nnadi, the Uconn NT, Harrison Phillips or one of the NC St DTs but I don’t know that any of them are starting quality day 1 like Payne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Bryan isn’t a a nose tackle, he’s a 3 tech. We certainly could have drafted other guys like Nnadi, the Uconn NT, Harrison Phillips or one of the NC St DTs but I don’t know that any of them are starting quality day 1 like Payne.

Okay ... so you don't like Taven Bryan as a possible pickup, but you then mention three other options as examples of what they could have done. My point still holds: the Redskins missed on a golden opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Woz said:

Okay ... so you don't like Taven Bryan as a possible pickup, but you then mention three other options as examples of what they could have done. My point still holds: the Redskins missed on a golden opportunity.

I did like Bryan as a player, he just isn’t a NT. Every guy I listed were mid to late round picks just like Settle. There’s certainly never a guarantee that a draft pick works out but there’s a much higher hit rate with a great AL NT than there is with the mid to late round guys, some of which may end up being just practice squad players.

I feel much comfortable not passing on the top defensive talent. 

 

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, turtle28 said:

I did like Bryan as a player, he just isn’t a NT. Every guy I listed were mid to late round picks just like Settle.

  1. Said players (I assume I have the right NC State defensive tackles), none of whom would qualify as a late round pick, so there were options later (I recall us (FF) looking heavily at Harrison Phillips in the 2nd if the Redskins took Guice in the first)
    B.J. Hill (NC State) - 3.05 (69)
    Derrick Nnadi - 3.11 (75)
    Justin Jones (NC State) - 3.20 (84)
    Harrison Phillips - 3.32 (96)
  2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there the article listed saying that while Payne could play the nose, he would be wasted doing it?
  3. Again, there was no reason they had to stay at 27. The Packers did in fact trade back up but still pocketed a 2019 draft pick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Woz said:
  1. B.J. Hill (NC State) - 3.05 (69)

Derrick Nnadi - 3.11 (75)
Justin Jones (NC State) - 3.20 (84)
Harrison Phillips - 3.32 (96)

Yeah, mid round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, turtle28 said:

Yeah, mid round

  1. That got posted accidentally early. See the update.
  2. You said "mid to late round picks just like Settle." They were not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Woz said:
  1. That got posted accidentally early. See the update.
  2. You said "mid to late round picks just like Settle." They were not.

But even excluding the semantics here ... the Redskins still missed a golden opportunity.

Let's look at it this way, which is better:

  • Not taking the deal
    • Da'Ron Payne
    • Derrius Guice
    • Geron Christian
  • Take the deal (let's assume they don't trade back up from 27, but do trade back from 44)
    • Will Hernandez
    • Derrius Guice
    • Derrick Nnadi / Justin Jones / Harrison Phillips
    • pick 147 (which Green Bay later traded to Carolina who traded to LA Rams which became) Micah Kiser
    • 2019 1st round pick from New Orleans

I like Payne. I think he looks to be a good addition. However, I also see that they got scared and took the easy path instead of the better move for the long term of the franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, THESKINSFAN21 said:

I like the Payne pick. They stuck to their board and got who they wanted.

I like the pick as well.

I understand sticking to one's board ... but if you are getting another 1st round pick the following year, you have to be a bit flexible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Woz said:

I like the pick as well.

I understand sticking to one's board ... but if you are getting another 1st round pick the following year, you have to be a bit flexible.

Brice Allen can’t afford to draft for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Brice Allen can’t afford to draft for next year.

Right and I think really focusing on trench players or RB si think you could tell he was trying to get tougher players. I’m happy with this haul. Do this every year and things could turn around. You ain’t win a SB you aren’t safe that’s how every FO should opporate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Brice Allen can’t afford to draft for next year.

Oh I get that. That's part of the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Woz said:

Oh I get that. That's part of the problem.

You have a problem with a GM passing on a future first round pick trade because he has to win now?  Heaven forbid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MKnight82 said:

You have a problem with a GM passing on a future first round pick trade because he has to win now?  Heaven forbid.

I would rather he had the confidence to look out for the long term health of the franchise, regardless of his future employment status.

Sadly, that's expecting a lot of professional ethics from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Woz said:

I would rather he had the confidence to look out for the long term health of the franchise, regardless of his future employment status.

Sadly, that's expecting a lot of professional ethics from him.

Brice Allen is extremely ethical.  Ask the cheerleaders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×