Carlson Is Mr. Wrong After He Misses Right (waived pg. 17)

SemperFeist

43 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

thank you. this is what i said a couple of weeks back - why does Priefer never take the blame/responsibility for any special teams woes?

I think Priefer had a pretty good run where we were both good on coverage and good on returns. Obviously recently there have been some other issues popping up, it appears that he really shouldn’t have much input on the draft.

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Rarely is ever has a kicker been trending on Twitter without even attempting a kick. But with so many kickers missing kicks on Sunday and with former Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey available, his name has been near the top of the stack for the last few hours.

So what’s next for Bailey? Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Bailey is waiting for the “right team.” He has, per the source, turned down four “very good offers,” and more calls have been made to his agent based on Sunday’s outcomes.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/16/dan-bailey-is-waiting-for-the-right-team/

How many teams need kickers? I can't imagine he'd say no to the Vikings

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

How many teams need kickers? 

Browns kicker Zane Gonzalez missed two field goals and an extra point, with his last miss coming with three seconds remaining. Gonzalez will almost certainly be out of a job this week. It was an epic meltdown.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/16/browns-kicker-melts-down-as-saints-win-a-wild-one/

After thinking about Carlson’s kicks today I am wondering if he’s overly focused on blasting the kick rather than being accurate. I don’t know if there’s an ability to have a kicker throttle down and use a three quarter swing with less moving parts. More than likely he’s broken, but...

9 minutes ago, HitStickAllDay said:

After thinking about Carlson’s kicks today I am wondering if he’s overly focused on blasting the kick rather than being accurate. I don’t know if there’s an ability to have a kicker throttle down and use a three quarter swing with less moving parts. More than likely he’s broken, but...

The commentator kinda said the same thing during the game using a golf reference

Carlson should be cut. You just can’t trust him now, and for a team that’s expected to push for the Super Bowl we can’t have a kicker trying to work through his issues. 

But I would put him on the practice squad. There’s a lot of talent there. I’d hate to lose another Steven Hauschka. 

21 minutes ago, HitStickAllDay said:

I know nothing about kicking, but it looked like he used the side of his foot on the last. Is that normal?

1 hour ago, LanceBoyle said:

Dan Bailey is an 88% career FG kicker with 7 years experience and something to prove.   At this point, unfortunately, I agree that Carlson is just a playoff disaster waiting to happen.  Been there, done that.

Less than 88% both of the last two years. Major downswing. 

I feel like our long history of kicker mishaps and our super bowl aspirations places immense pressure on whoever comes in. We need a veteran with playoff experience. If Carlson turns into a good kicker elsewhere, so be it. We don't have the time to wait for him.

on all three kicks today it looked like he opened up too much and all three kicks went wide right. 

obviously i'm on board for whatever option gets us the best kicker possible but the "consistency" of carlson's misses today could indicate that a tweak to his technique might fix the accuracy problem.

right now, preseason and weeks 1 and 2 together, carlson is 5/10 on field goals and has not missed an extra point. 

I just finished watching the game for a second time. Something I noticed on Carlson’s missed field goals are his right arm didn’t come up like it does when he kicked the made extra points. Don’t know if swinging the arm through helps clear the leg through and if so might explain the block/push to the right. Almost like he doesn’t completely finish the movement and is too eager to look at where the kick is going. Not dissimilar from a golfer that doesn’t release through the entire swing and leaves it to the right. 

I actually think it can be fixed. But admit I don’t know a lot about kicking. He could just be mentally fried. Likely best to bring in a kicker with ice in their veins. Hell I’ll take Kai and his missed extra points if it means increased <45 FG accuracy. 

Archived