Carlson Is Mr. Wrong After He Misses Right (waived pg. 17)

SemperFeist

7 hours ago, whitehops said:

on all three kicks today it looked like he opened up too much and all three kicks went wide right. 

obviously i'm on board for whatever option gets us the best kicker possible but the "consistency" of carlson's misses today could indicate that a tweak to his technique might fix the accuracy problem.

keep in mind the miss or misses he had in pre season were all going wide left.

This week’s kicker caravan is already heading to Cleveland (though there are probably more stops). According to Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network, the Browns are working out kickers, with Blair Walsh and Cairo Santos among the applicants for a job that isn’t vacant yet.

That list could includes others, but not former Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey, who declined the chance to work out for them as he waits for the “right team.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/17/browns-working-out-kickers-today-asexpected/

pretty obvious who he's waiting for, isn't it...?

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

pretty obvious who he's waiting for, isn't it...?

Reportedly, he’s turned down a handful of offers. Including one that would have paid him more than he was set to make in Dallas. 

Not sure the Vikings will be able to afford him, but they certainly appear to be the type of team he’s waiting for. 

If they give him another chance they have to find a way to make high pressure situations in practice. Let him try correct the issues and then tell him if he misses the last kick the team's running laps or something along with bringing in crowd noise. Or let him know he's kicking for his job in practice

I'd probably bring in Bailey though

After sleeping on it; it's a good thing this stuff with Carlson happened early in the season so we are still given a chance to correct it. The team has to at least bring in tryout kickers to test how mentally tough Carlson is.  I'm sure they like the kid, but they could likely get him on the practice squad and sign an additional kicker.

Forbath
Bailey
Santos
Novak

There are veteran options available and this team needs a reliable kicker.

10 hours ago, whitehops said:

on all three kicks today it looked like he opened up too much and all three kicks went wide right. 

obviously i'm on board for whatever option gets us the best kicker possible but the "consistency" of carlson's misses today could indicate that a tweak to his technique might fix the accuracy problem.

right now, preseason and weeks 1 and 2 together, carlson is 5/10 on field goals and has not missed an extra point. 

Solution:  Bring Kai Forbath back and let him kick field goals.  Keep Carlson and let him kick extra points.

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

After sleeping on it; it's a good thing this stuff with Carlson happened early in the season so we are still given a chance to correct it. The team has to at least bring in tryout kickers to test how mentally tough Carlson is.  I'm sure they like the kid, but they could likely get him on the practice squad and sign an additional kicker.

Forbath
Bailey
Santos
Novak

There are veteran options available and this team needs a reliable kicker.

I don't even think you put him on the PS. What's the point. Something is mentally off with him where he can't handle big kicks. He very well practices well, it's why he won the job.

I'm not burning the kid at the stake today.  I'm not even sure I would cut him.  At worst, I'd cut him and put him on the practice squad.  What he did yesterday was certainly inexcusable, but I'm giving him another chance, because it's still early in his career and the season to see if he can make the necessary corrections. 

If this were mid-season or nearer to the playoffs, maybe I'd think differently.  But there's absolutely no reason to be on all pins and needles at this point.  Quickly reacting and cutting him could potentially create a negative environment where everyone's on edge.  

I hate to use Nordo's example (which he did provide this morning), but what if Adam Vinatieri had been cut by Bill Parcells in his 2nd game of his career when he missed 3 FGs in a loss to Buffalo?  Where would he be today?  Now I'm not suggesting that he's the 2nd coming of Vinatieri, but he's not necessarily the 2nd coming of Roberto Aguayo either.  

Archived