Carlson Is Mr. Wrong After He Misses Right (waived pg. 17)

SemperFeist

OK I'll say it. I like the move. Kickers can win or lose you a game and I like the idea of going out and getting the best possible one out there.

If Forbath is so good, but loses out to Carlson, then we can trade the veteran and get a pick back.

Rick Spielman generally knows what he's doing. I've been critical of him before, but I trust him and the process. I believe he may a good move for the future of this team.

A three-star recruit out of Colorado Springs, Colorado, Daniel Carlson finished his career as the most decorated kicker in Auburn history with 14 school records. Carlson, who redshirted as a true freshman, was a four-year starter. He handled punting, placekicking and kickoffs for Auburn as a redshirt freshman going 18 of 24 on field goals. He earned the first of three nominations as a Lou Groza Award finalist in 2015 finishing the year with four field goals of 51-plus yards. Carlson connected on 16 straight field goals as a sophomore, breaking a program record. His 71 percent touchback percentage was fifth nationally.

Carlson was a model of consistency for Auburn as an upperclassman, earning back-to-back SEC Special Teams Player of the Year awards. He finished with a career-high 28 field goals made as a junior. He tied an SEC record with six field goals against LSU. Carlson, who closed out his career as the SEC career scoring leader (480), was 23 of 31 as a senior. He became the first Auburn player in 30 years to hit two field goals of 50-plus yards in a win over Missouri. Carlson has the second-best percentage on 50-plus yard kicks in NCAA history (13 of 21).-

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/players/playerpage/2079862/daniel-carlson

don't understand why some guys are upset with this pick and where it happened. if he becomes a productive starter, isn't that what you'd want from a 5th round pick?

and weren't there a lot of complaints last year about Forbath and missed extra points?

so now the Vikings did something about that and it's a problem...?

15 minutes ago, Freakish Mind said:

It's funny people think that there will be a kicking competition this year.....Forbaith will be cut.   We did not spend a 5th rounder on a kicker to have a kicking competition.   

I believe it may be meant as a competition, but Carlson clearly has the ability to win that battle with relative ease over a guy who will be 31 at the start of the season.

Spielman called it a BPA pick and seemed to suggest they didn't go into the draft planning to draft a kicker. Whether that's "Rick speak" or something more, that ultimately doesn't matter.

Carlson can catch the ball and run with it, too.  He can also help the team by faking kicks and running with it or passing it in crucial situations.  Much more versatile than Forbath, besides being a better kicker.

4 hours ago, Klomp said:

I believe it may be meant as a competition, but Carlson clearly has the ability to win that battle with relative ease over a guy who will be 31 at the start of the season.

Spielman called it a BPA pick and seemed to suggest they didn't go into the draft planning to draft a kicker. Whether that's "Rick speak" or something more, that ultimately doesn't matter.

If BPA was the case, then they would not have traded up.   BPA means you stay put and take who ever is the best available draft pick at your spot you are picking in the draft.    The Vikings were clearly going after Carlson and wanted to jump in front of other teams to get him.   

Archived