Carlson Is Mr. Wrong After He Misses Right (waived pg. 17)

SemperFeist

The strong-legged Carlson, whose career long in college was 56 yards, was rated by some analysts as the top kicker available in the draft. In his college career, he made all 198 of his extra-point attempts and 92 of 114 field-goal attempts.

Spielman:  “The decision was made because we were following our board and we felt he was a very talented kicker. I know Mike Priefer spent a lot of time going through this just like any other position. So for me, kicker doesn’t make a difference. We’re trying to get quality depth and quality competition.”

Carlson:  “Obviously Minnesota is indoors which will help a lot, but I made quite a few kicks from 50-plus yards over the years. During private workouts, we’ve backed it up to 65 yards and made those. Kicking in Colorado, which is where I’ve been for the draft the last few days, with the altitude here I was hitting from 75 yards.’’

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/28/vikings-take-kicker-daniel-carlson-in-fifth-round-perhaps-spelling-end-for-kai-forbath/

Love the pick. Potential impact player at the bottom of the 5th round. It sounds like he was coveted by at least a few other teams too. 

You never know how kickers are going to turn out, but he has everything you look for, and this is the point in the draft where you take those swings.

He's big and strong, he's a great kicker, he can tackle ... I like this pick. After Forbath's clutch kick in the Saints game it was easier to forget that he was missing too many simple kicks for us before that, including PATs. Fortunately Rick Spielman didn't forget, and he made a bold move to address that concern.

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i had to work yesterday and didn't watch or follow any of the draft. what was the trade we made in picks for Carlson?

167 and 225 to NYJ for 157  (Conklin)
180 and 204 to NYJ for 167 (Carlson) and 225

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

don't understand why some guys are upset with this pick and where it happened. if he becomes a productive starter, isn't that what you'd want from a 5th round pick?

and weren't there a lot of complaints last year about Forbath and missed extra points?

so now the Vikings did something about that and it's a problem...?

Well you see, they traded up and it cost them a 6th rounder destined to be fan favorite practice squad member for 3 years before leaving the league forever. You can't get that kind of production out of a 5th round kicker.

3 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Well you see, they traded up and it cost them a 7th rounder destined to be fan favorite practice squad member for 3 years before leaving the league forever. You can't get that kind of production out of a 5th round kicker.

yeah, that's how i saw it too.

56 minutes ago, Klomp said:

167 and 225 to NYJ for 157  (Conklin)
180 and 204 to NYJ for 167 (Carlson) and 225

Vikings started with:

5.167 (their original late 5th rounder)

6.180 (early 6th they got from trading down from the late 3rd with the Bucs before drafting Holmes)

6.204 (their original late 6th rounder)

7.225 (early 7th they got in the Siemien trade)

Vikings ended with: 

Conklin at 5.157

Carlson at 5.167

Downs at 7.225

(two late 6th comp picks 2.213 Gossett and 2.218 Aruna were not affected by the trades)

5.167 ends up as Carlson and 7.225 Downs on both sides of the ledger. 

So the net is two 6th round picks, one early and one late, for a mid 5th rounder. Another way of saying that is that they burned a late 6th (6.204) to move up 23 spots from the early 6th (6.180) to mid 5th (5.157). That's not a high price to pay to move up that far, aside from the fact that I hate trading up in the draft in general. 

Jets used 6.180 on Fatukasi (DT) and 6.204 on Cannon (RB).  So the trades end up as Conklin for Fatukasi and Cannon. 

I don't mind the pick. Odd to trade up for a kicker but if he's as good as advertised, probably worth a late fifth having a good kicker on a cheap contract for 3-4 years. I'd guess he's be the favorite for the job based on how mediocre Forbath is.

8 hours ago, Freakish Mind said:

If BPA was the case, then they would not have traded up.   BPA means you stay put and take who ever is the best available draft pick at your spot you are picking in the draft.    The Vikings were clearly going after Carlson and wanted to jump in front of other teams to get him.   

I don't agree with this.

OK, so we were 10-15 picks away from being on the clock and looking at the board. As a hypothetical, let's say Carlson is the 100th rated played on our board while the next guys we were interested in were in the 150s (or, using a horizontal board, he was 3-4 tiers ahead of the rest). You don't think it was the intention to pick the best player on our board just because we traded up to get him?

Archived