Carlson Is Mr. Wrong After He Misses Right (waived pg. 17)

SemperFeist

But, when the clock rolled around to pick 167, [traded previously to the Jets,] Minnesota traded with New York again and there was another player Spielman had his eye on – kicker Daniel Carlson. The Vikings would not only re-acquire the 167th pick they traded to the Jets, but also the seventh rounder traded previously for a pair of sixth round picks – Nos. 180 and 204 – to get the fifth-round pick back and select Carlson.

Even for a guy who trades picks as often as Spielman has over the years, this was hitting new territory. 

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-executed-bizarre-trade-back-option-re-acquiring-2-original-picks-117813961

I like this pick. I think that Carlson was great in college, some of that is because I like watching Auburn. And while I'm not always the biggest fan of drafting a kicker/punter. I do think there is value in drafting him. He also has a nice leg in terms of kickoffs which is something that Forbath doesn't have as much of.

17 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

who are the top 5 kickers right now in the NFL, and were they drafted or signed as UDFA's? of those drafted, in what rounds?

homework assignment, boys!

Mixed bag. 

Without looking it up Justin Tucker, Dan Bailey, and Stephen Gosktkowski immediately come to mind as top kickers. Tucker and Bailey were undrafted, Giatkowski was drafted in the 4th round. 

Matt Prater has become one of the best, he went undrafted. Same with Steven Hauschka. Jake Elliott had a very good rookie year for Philadelphia, he was drafted in the 5th round. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Mixed bag. 

Without looking it up Justin Tucker, Dan Bailey, and Stephen Gosktkowski immediately come to mind as top kickers. Tucker and Bailey were undrafted, Giatkowski was drafted in the 4th round. 

you get an INCOMPLETE on your homework.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

ake Elliott had a very good rookie year for Philadelphia, he was drafted in the 5th round

But Elliott didn't ever play for the team that drafted him. His NFL action came only after being waived, claimed by nobody, and put on a practice squad. The first team's 53 man roster he was on invested no draft picks in him.

So while correct he was drafted, the cost to the first team he played a regular season game for was no draft picks.

Archived