Carlson Is Mr. Wrong After He Misses Right (waived pg. 17)

SemperFeist

I wonder if you even take Forbath to training camp? 

If Carlson is looking better than Forbath at this point, it seems like it would be best for both parties to move on from Forbath as soon as possible. Forbath would then get an opportunity to catch on with another team before camps start, and Carlson would then get all of the reps in practice. 

On 5/30/2018 at 10:35 AM, Klomp said:

I need some clarification.....

The new kickoff rule says it's a touchback "if it is not touched by the receiving team and touches the ground in the end zone." So can a player still run a return out of the end zone on the catch? It didn't touch the ground. I guess I can't even think of how it would compare to punts...can someone return a caught punt out of the end zone?

I imagine a player can still return a KO from the end zone if they wish, however it sounds like the player doesn't have to cover the ball if it hits in the end zone like they did in the past.

Someone could return a punt out of the end zone but they would likely be extremely foolish to do so. Most returners will have their heels on the 10 yard line and if the ball is kicked over their head they are coached to let it go. 

19 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I wonder if you even take Forbath to training camp? 

If Carlson is looking better than Forbath at this point, it seems like it would be best for both parties to move on from Forbath as soon as possible. Forbath would then get an opportunity to catch on with another team before camps start, and Carlson would then get all of the reps in practice. 

About the only reason I can think of  keeping Forbath around is insurance in case Carlson gets hurt.  Otherwise, I think your reasoning is sound.

Carlson: “Rookie kickers are usually seen as immature guys because they don’t have that experience, but luckily I got to play in a lot of big college games and I try to be mature beyond my years. Those pressure situations are where any kicker should thrive. Especially in the NFL, there are a lot of close games, so every point matters. That’s when I try and be at my best — those last-minute situations and high-pressure situations. It takes a lot of focus and hard work so you can perform well in those situations.”

Each kicker has had nine field goal attempts. Carlson has hit all of them, including a 46-yarder during a drill Wednesday as the final seconds ticked down on the clock. 

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Forbath-Carlson-Embracing-Kicking-Competition-in-OTAs/146b2e86-123a-4aac-90d0-904da93bf6e3?sf190733866=1

Forbath and Carlson will jockey for position throughout OTAs, mandatory minicamp and training camp – though Mike Zimmer suggested if one kicker was far ahead of the other, the team could make a decision before the end of camp.

Priefer: “I don’t want to rush the process. I think we need to do what is best for our football team, whether that is at the end of spring or end of training camp. I don’t make that final decision. At the end of the day, we will make the right one and hopefully the kicker that we keep will help us win a lot of games this year.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/05/vikings-special-teams-coach-kickoffs-will-safer-exciting/

The drive culminated with rookie kicker Daniel Carlson nailing a 45-yard field goal with eight seconds remaining to give the first-team offense a one-point lead. Carlson made all five of his field goal tries Tuesday, and has not missed in 14 attempts in open media practices this spring.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Observations-Cousins-Carlson-Deliver-for-Vikings-in-2-Minute-Drill/54e67f41-5c84-4974-9d15-e0fa79c53351?sf191125817=1

Archived