5th Round Pick (172nd Overall): JK Scott [P; Alabama]

Packerraymond

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Bwahahahha so "JK" is short for John Kimball...

thats right, his parents named him after Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in Kindergarten Cop.

AP2NPg1.jpg

The fans at Lambeau need to chant, "Who is your daddy and what does he do?", every time he downs a punt inside the 20.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:45 PM, chillparsi1 said:

Well that's interesting. Assuming the source is right...was there an issue with Zook and Vogel. Cause this throws the "competition is always good" out the window. 

Hang time, hang time, hang time. Vogel refused had horrible hang time. Packers coaches were rather ticked that he'd out punt his coverage on a continuous basis. His numbers on paper looked good, but in order to get five, ten extra yards on a punt, he'd sacrifice hang time. He never angled punts when asked. He consistently kicked the ball in the end zone instead of trying to angle it out of bounds. This was discussed on the radio after the draft on a local radio show. 

4 hours ago, cooters22 said:

Hang time, hang time, hang time. Vogel refused had horrible hang time. Packers coaches were rather ticked that he'd out punt his coverage on a continuous basis. His numbers on paper looked good, but in order to get five, ten extra yards on a punt, he'd sacrifice hang time. He never angled punts when asked. He consistently kicked the ball in the end zone instead of trying to angle it out of bounds. This was discussed on the radio after the draft on a local radio show. 

He had 2 touchbacks in 71 punts, "consistently" kicking it in the end zone is flat out not true.

It's really easy to figure why they made the move. Vogel is a good punter, Scott has the flexibility and leg to be a special punter.

5 hours ago, cooters22 said:

What the literal **** are you talking about? What you just typed is just blatantly factually incorrect information.

Of punters who had at least 25 punts on the year:

Justin Vogel was tied for the second fewest touchbacks with 2. Only Pinion in SF had 1 touchback.

Justin Vogel was tied for 9th lowest in overall return yards at 164.

Justin Vogel was 7th in the league in average net yardage.

Justin Vogel was tied for 10th in punts that went out of bounds.

Vogel wasn't a perfect punter. His yardage was inflated because the offense wasn't getting him in position to have to drop it at the 5 yard line. He did have too many muffed punts. He did have an excellent coverage unit. All that is true. But to act like he was selfish and playing for stats is just dishonest. The guy was a rookie and played very well. 

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

He had 2 touchbacks in 71 punts, "consistently" kicking it in the end zone is flat out not true.

It's really easy to figure why they made the move. Vogel is a good punter, Scott has the flexibility and leg to be a special punter.

Don't kill the messenger, just what I heard on a local Green Bay radio station. 2 touchbacks, but how many times did he outkick his coverage or kick it straight down the field if the coverage was angled say to the right? I'm just giving you what was discussed on 107.5 in Green Bay. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What the literal **** are you talking about? What you just typed is just blatantly factually incorrect information.

Justin Vogel was tied for the second fewest touchbacks with 2. Only Pinion in SF had 1 touchback.

Vogel wasn't a perfect punter. His yardage was inflated because the offense wasn't getting him in position to have to drop it at the 5 yard line. He did have too many muffed punts. He did have an excellent coverage unit. All that is true. But to act like he was selfish and playing for stats is just dishonest. The guy was a rookie and played very well. 

The overall return was more based on our phenomenal gunner coverage and Jeff Janis was quite frankly the best in football at that position, he will be missed. LIke I said, don't kill the messenger. I couldn't care less about our punter. They obviously drafted a kid in the 5th round for a reason. Ron Zook from what I've read myself never praised the kid much, so this pick maybe was done more for him. Punting numbers and pro bowls are deceiving things. Numbers can lie, one 90 yard punt gives you a good average mixed in with three 30 yard punts, would be an example. Don't attack what I post as it's my opinion, like I said I heard what I heard. It's a 5th round pick, move on Guntes is the man, believe in the process. I think he is the right man for the job. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Vogel wasn't a perfect punter. His yardage was inflated because the offense wasn't getting him in position to have to drop it at the 5 yard line. He did have too many muffed punts. He did have an excellent coverage unit. All that is true. But to act like he was selfish and playing for stats is just dishonest. The guy was a rookie and played Hang time, hang time, hang time. Vogel refused had horrible hang time. Packers coaches were rather ticked that he'd out punt his coverage on a continuous basis. His numbers on paper looked good, but in order to get five, ten extra yards on a punt, he'd sacrifice hang time. He never angled punts when asked. He consistently kicked the ball in the end zone instead of trying to angle it out of bounds. This was discussed on the radio after the draft on a local radio show.  very well. 

Hang time, hang time, hang time. Vogel refused had horrible hang time. Packers coaches were rather ticked that he'd out punt his coverage on a continuous basis. His numbers on paper looked good, but in order to get five, ten extra yards on a punt, he'd sacrifice hang time. He never angled punts when asked. He consistently kicked the ball in the end zone instead of trying to angle it out of bounds. THIS WAS DISCUSSED ON THE LOCAL RADIO AFTER THE DRAFT!!!!!!! Once again people, read and think before you attack. This isn't my opinion, and quite frankly don't care who is our punter. 

Either Vogel was doing something the coaches didn't like and got replaced, Scott did something that our coaches liked a lot or both.  Either way, I'm glad to have Scott.  Punter is a really underrated position.  Out of all the things that could have gone wrong, Masthay not having a perfect game in the Championship Game against the Bears was one of them.  Although I don't remember specifics because it's punting, Masthay had a big hand (or foot) in getting us to the Super Bowl because I remember he had a terrific game.  Five punts inside the 20. 

We haven't had anything close to terrific since then. 

1 hour ago, cooters22 said:

Hang time, hang time, hang time. Vogel refused had horrible hang time. Packers coaches were rather ticked that he'd out punt his coverage on a continuous basis. His numbers on paper looked good, but in order to get five, ten extra yards on a punt, he'd sacrifice hang time. He never angled punts when asked. He consistently kicked the ball in the end zone instead of trying to angle it out of bounds. THIS WAS DISCUSSED ON THE LOCAL RADIO AFTER THE DRAFT!!!!!!! Once again people, read and think before you attack. This isn't my opinion, and quite frankly don't care who is our punter. 

If you have horrible hang time, you allow terrible return yardage. Vogel had very good return yardage allowed. If you're getting the max distance you can and not giving up return yardage, who cares about hang time? You play to your teammates. If Janis is blowing by people and covering the distance, booming it flat and long is playing smart.

If you post stupid content, it should be brought up. It doesn't matter if you're the original author or not. It's your responsibility to fact check.

Don't contribute to the greater dumbing down of humanity by mindlessly spewing dreck out onto the internet.

55 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Just because some local radio host was making these comments does not make it true.

Vogel was a pretty good punter, the Packers are aiming for better. Can't get too bent out of shape about that. They are considering kickoffs and place-holding as part of their punter evaluation and JK has skills in both of those areas per his pre-draft reports. Also: Crosby is aging, so delegating kick- offs to a younger leg late in the season might be a way of prolonging his FG kicking career. With all of the changes in the new kick off rules too - there might be some strategic value for JK in that arena too.

One of the Crimson Tide’s most successful and most underappreciated units this season has been kickoff coverage, as opponents are averaging just 18.2 yards per return. For a little perspective, that’s just shy of being the best of any Alabama team coached by Nick Saban. The 2007 team averaged 17.9. Alabama has kicked off 66 times this season, and half of them have gone for a touchback. Both figures top the SEC.

“The most important thing on kickoffs is placement,” said senior punter JK Scott, who has also handled kickoff duties this season. “You want to get it closer to the corner, more like on the numbers because that’s how our coverage is most successful, when we place it in that area. That’s what I focus on the most. Obviously, they want touchbacks but placement is most important.”

"....the second reason is Scott, who obviously has a powerful leg and can get some serious hang time, giving everyone a chance to get downfield"

The Packers want the rest of the non-Rodgers team to be Championship-caliber and are taking steps to make that a reality. 

Archived