Round 5 #171 Mike White QB

TVScout

Love the pick. I consider Mike White one of those Kirk Cousins/Case Keenum types where, likely, he sits around in anonymity just watching and learning, but when given a chance, may have learned enough to be a pro QB.

I literally wrote on my notes for White, 'owns the plot of land and has laid a foundation but needs to build the house still' - if he is helped building that house, he can be a competitive starter/really good back up/solid longterm journeyman type.

Prisco grade: B

White has impressive arm talent and gets the ball out quickly. Major problems against pressure.

Draft Prospect Outlook:

Slinging, three-quarter delivery. Above-average athlete. Good, not great arm. Pocket presence is there but spotty in its effectiveness. Downfield touch is adequate. Can work to second read. Has backup potential. Could win a game or two as a spot starter.

Former baseball pitcher with a rocket arm. Has size. Can't make reads on the field quick enough. Has zero pocket presence, slow to set up in the pocket, drops eyes to watch the rush, and grows roots once he is set. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSabg0QSGboYP8R4z9Pe53

But I bet he is a hell of a 7 on 7 QB, and may throw the prettiest ball Jerry has ever seen.

I'm  kinda with @plan9misfit that at least 1 QB should be drafted every year. 

And Weeden, despite his flaws, still has a job/place in the NFL.

Also like @flyingmonkey30 said, because he isn't undrafted like Rush, all he needs to do is have a solid preseason or 2 and some team will let us flip him for another 4th or 3rd.  Can't do that with other positions. QBs hold value like a toyota.

Then again we would be counting on the Cowboys to flip a player for picks. Was Herschal Walker the last time we did that lol?

I wouldnt make that Weeden comparison. Weeden was far more talented of a passer and why he went in round 1; the problem lied morein the rush to put him on the field on a team that had zero freaking talent. It completely obliterated what kind of player he had the potential of becoming.

White is less talented overall but has the luxury of LEARNING before being told to go out and do.

Eh... Weeden was what? 28yo when he was drafted? Hard to sit a guy on the bench for grooming at that age. He has pocket presence issues, and others that I don't think came from Cleveland. Speaking of Cleveland THAT is the team that spent a first on him. I shouldn't need to say more, but I think most would agree he shouldn't have gone there.

I thought Weeden had a fair chance if given time. But his age as you pointed out made that really difficult to do. He got more and more skittish in the pocket as his career played out, slower and slower to let the ball go, and eventually hes just getting backup competition jobs on his experience and velocity alone. Kind of sad, but that tends to happen when potential goes to a bad team

Bad teams need pro ready, not potential

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Former baseball pitcher with a rocket arm. Has size. Can't make reads on the field quick enough. Has zero pocket presence, slow to set up in the pocket, drops eyes to watch the rush, and grows roots once he is set. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSabg0QSGboYP8R4z9Pe53

But I bet he is a hell of a 7 on 7 QB, and may throw the prettiest ball Jerry has ever seen.

One key difference though buddy. We are getting him in the 5th. Not at 28 in the first round. I honestly thought he would be gone by the 3rd yo the Steelers or Pat's. He actually fits more into the Romo offense then Dak does so I don't how he will into this new one being developed. 

He's had problems being rushed in a big way. Like Josh Allen his line sucks. His physical ability is Tom Brady-esque where he checks all the boxes in the good range with mobility being average. We already have someone who is an amazing backup who I think even has starter potential. But White might be worth the development. 

After watching some tape on this kid physically he can make all the throws with good accuracy and good size as well. Kid seems to be a good leader as well. For a 5th rounder to develop ye i would say definitely worth the risk as he has lots of upside. Weeden had a great arm as well but this kid looks much more accurate then Weeden.

Archived