5th Round Pick (174th Overall): Marquez Valdes-Scantling [WR; USF]

Packerraymond

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd probably agree with this.  Seems like a PS guy if he's not kept around for ST.  Someone might gamble on his physical tools if he shows anything in camp.

I'm not giving MVS a roster spot right off the bat either - but he's got more than enough good, natural foundational skills for our coaches to develop.

I'm looking forward to the competition at the position. We're at an evolutionary stage. So this influx of talent was necessary / good thing.

I just want the most TALENT at the WR position we can possibly cram on the roster - if not the PS (and not lose it).

Allision (while I like him) has been shaky and spotty.

Davis is better at ST now than at WR.

Yancey? No clue.

Clark? I've not seen enough of him to know.

Anytime we're considering or viewing our TE as a WR asset as a means of getting to sleep at night - is time we need to enhance our WR talent IMO.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yancey? No clue.

Clark? 

Man that's a sad looking group. Personally, my ideal depth chart if we keep 6 WRs would be:

Adams, Cobb, (unsigned vet), Moore, ESB, Sixth man

I'd probably lean Allison right now because he at least has a knack to make a play once in a while.

Davis would be gone as long as I have a competent punt returner to replace him (not sure if we have a candidate)

Clark -- no chance 

Yancey -- no chance, was a reach last year

MVS - probably the best chance to challenge for Allison's spot and could get the nod bc Allison offers nothing in STs. 

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not giving MVS a roster spot right off the bat either - but he's got more than enough good, natural foundational skills for our coaches to develop.

I'm looking forward to the competition at the position. We're at an evolutionary stage. So this influx of talent was necessary / good thing.

I just want the most TALENT at the WR position we can possibly cram on the roster - if not the PS (and not lose it).

Yancey? No clue.

Clark? I've not seen enough of him to know.

Anytime we're considering or viewing our TE as a WR asset as a means of getting to sleep at night - is time we need to enhance our WR talent IMO.

Like I mentioned, Cobb and Adams are the only two roster locks at WR and their contracts suggest that's the case.  Behind those two, it's a bit more hazy.  Geronimo Allison probably is the "safest" to produce out of the group, which gives him a heads up on that #3 WR spot.  He probably won't remain there at the end of the year, but to begin the year I think he's penciled in as the #3 WR.  The highest draft pick that didn't make the roster out of camp I believe was Cory Rodgers and Deangelo Yancey who were 5th round picks.  That'd indicate to me that barring J'Mon Moore playing poorly, he's probably a near-roster lock.  So you've got four there.  The question then becomes do you carry 6 or 7 WRs?  I think it comes down to how they play.  So you've got MVS, St. Brown, Yancey, Davis, Clark, etc. all competing for the same 2/3 spots.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Man that's a sad looking group. Personally, my ideal depth chart if we keep 6 WRs would be:

Adams, Cobb, (unsigned vet), Moore, ESB, Sixth man

I'd probably lean Allison right now because he at least has a knack to make a play once in a while.

Davis would be gone as long as I have a competent punt returner to replace him (not sure if we have a candidate)

Clark -- no chance 

Yancey -- no chance, was a reach last year

MVS - probably the best chance to challenge for Allison's spot and could get the nod bc Allison offers nothing in STs. 

I think the only way that the Packers don't keep Allison on the roster in '18 is if they sign a veteran WR.  He's the safest bet to produce.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I think the only way that the Packers don't keep Allison on the roster in '18 is if they sign a veteran WR.  He's the safest bet to produce.

I'd probably agree with that. As funny as it sounds, Allison will probably be our Week 1 No. 2 perimeter WR or not on the team. If we don't go vet, Allison prob holds that spot until he's unseated by Moore. If we do go vet, I'd dump Allison in favor of the faster rookies who offer ST value as well.

So, imagine we keep 6 WRs and they are:

Davante - 6'1"

Cobb - 5'10"

Allison - 6'3"

MVS - 6'4"

ESB - 6'5"

Moore - 6'3"

w/ Graham - 6'7" in at TE

Don't think Rodgers has ever had that type of size to work with across the board. Poor Cobb is going to look like the lollipop guild.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I'd probably agree with that. As funny as it sounds, Allison will probably be our Week 1 No. 2 perimeter WR or not on the team. If we don't go vet, Allison prob holds that spot until he's unseated by Moore. If we do go vet, I'd dump Allison in favor of the faster rookies who offer ST value as well.

I'd bet donuts to dollars that the #5/#6 are going to be ST contributors.  The only exception I could possibly would be ESB, but I'd be willing to bet that they're viewed more as ST value.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure I agree. 

However, if they do sign a competent veteran WR then Allison will have almost zero chance to make the roster IMHO.  

There's no ceiling there. 

1 minute ago, Cadmus said:

Not sure I agree. 

However, if they do sign a competent veteran WR then Allison will have almost zero chance to make the roster IMHO.  

There's no ceiling there. 

Doesn't have to be a ceiling.  They're not rolling into the '18 season with a bunch of unproven WRs, I can pretty much assure you that.  Now if they sign a veteran WR than all bets are off, because at that point Allison's probably not making the roster.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Doesn't have to be a ceiling.  They're not rolling into the '18 season with a bunch of unproven WRs, I can pretty much assure you that.  Now if they sign a veteran WR than all bets are off, because at that point Allison's probably not making the roster.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, if Allison offered anything on STs he would be in significantly better position for a roster spot. 

There's a lot of time between now and Week 1. 

5 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

I guess we'll have to wait and see, if Allison offered anything on STs he would be in significantly better position for a roster spot. 

There's a lot of time between now and Week 1. 

Between the fact that understanding the Packers' offense isn't easy and the fact that Rodgers doesn't usually trust rookie WRs, it's going to take quite a bit for me to believe that they're going into the year with a bunch of rookie WRs outside of Adams and Cobb.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Between the fact that understanding the Packers' offense isn't easy and the fact that Rodgers doesn't usually trust rookie WRs, it's going to take quite a bit for me to believe that they're going into the year with a bunch of rookie WRs outside of Adams and Cobb.

I wouldn't be stunned if it's Davis or Kumerow instead of Allison. 

That's all I'm saying. 

For those who believe in Yancey. He was the worst WR in TC last year. 

The only reason he stuck on the PS was because he was a DP. 

Edited by Cadmus

11 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

I wouldn't be stunned if it's Davis or Kumerow instead of Allison. 

That's all I'm saying. 

For those who believe in Yancey. He was the worst WR in TC last year. 

The only reason he stuck on the PS was because he was a DP. 

If I had to half-hazard a guess, I'd imagine our top 6 will be Adams, Cobb, Allison/Vet WR, Moore, MVS/ESB, and Trevor Davis.  Right now, I'd probably give the slight edge to MVS.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

If I had to half-hazard a guess, I'd imagine our top 6 will be Adams, Cobb, Allison/Vet WR, Moore, MVS/ESB, and Trevor Davis.  Right now, I'd probably give the slight edge to MVS.

Based on special teams potential of MVS, I'd have to agree with that list. I'm hoping a decent vet WR comes free in the summer.