6(180). Foley Fatuski, DT, Connecticut

NewAge

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

That’s three we’ve brought in using draft picks. That’s overkill unfortunately.   

Yup. No matter what we wasted a pick somehow. Bc we really are only rotating 4 guys mainly. Leo is obviously going to always play. So we have 3 spots for like 6 guys now.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Yup. No matter what we wasted a pick somehow. Bc we really are only rotating 4 guys mainly. Leo is obviously going to always play. So we have 3 spots for like 6 guys now.

If those guys were the BPA on their board there comes a time where there has to be another stratagy at work. There has to be allowances for position. 

I’d rather we targeted other positions but it’s done with now. Have to see what the season has in store for us. 

I don’t understand this then. I get it the likelihood a 6th rounder makes an impact on a team are slim but adding another 5tech when we need help on the OL is head scratching. Not gonna Make or break our draft but I don’t get it if he plays 5T

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm going to wait to see how he turns out. I didn't want to go Dline again, but we do need run stoppers. I didn't think macc would leave such a big gap at OLB like this. 

I feel like he’s comfortable with Jenkins and Martin in their role in base, and the effort they put forward rushing the passer. They just lack the athleticism to make any real impact. While we do not have that disruptive edge rusher we want and need, I don’t think OLB is a huge hole. Jenkins and Martin do their jobs well and are only getting better.

We absolutely need to find and impactful edge rusher next season though, no excuses.

Edited by BlaZeN37

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

If they had this kid rated way higher on their board than anyone else left then regardless of position you have to take him.  6th round picks are about gambling on the guy you think has the best chance to becoming something in this league.  No one fills needs in the 6th unless they are drafting a Kicker or a FB.  I went and watched some of this kids tape and he is a beast against the run.  If he outplays Pennel or Cooper then he is a better cheaper option and one of them can be cut.

26 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

If they had this kid rated way higher on their board than anyone else left then regardless of position you have to take him.  6th round picks are about gambling on the guy you think has the best chance to becoming something in this league.  No one fills needs in the 6th unless they are drafting a Kicker or a FB.  I went and watched some of this kids tape and he is a beast against the run.  If he outplays Pennel or Cooper then he is a better cheaper option and one of them can be cut.

If we didn’t previous to him not just draft and trade for a DE along with already having Leo, Pennel and Cooper then I’d agree. But at a certain point you have to realize the players you already have and the skills they have. My point is he invested way too much on the dline this draft. 2 picks would’ve been more than ok. But to use 3 and not go offense is bad business IMO. I can’t stabd to watch us get a franchise QB and not try and get him help. Draft OL, RB or WR with one of those picks instead.

One thing I’ve noticed with all three defensive line additions is that the Jets are prioritizes explosion and quickness over the ability to two gap and hold up at the point of attack. Interesting strategy, especially considering the fact that they lack any edge rushing presence. 

I think the people who are treating this pick as if he was taken to be a two gap NT are wrong. We have Mike Pennel two years worth of guarantees. Foley is a lot like Shepherd in the fact that he’s a huge body with pretty rare quickness and explosion for his size. A piece of athletic moldable clay if you will.

Edited by BlaZeN37

There is an old adage about football......  "Games are won in the trenches".  Can't fault a GM for looking to build strong D and O lines.  Macc has improved our DL vastly this off season.

I think bringing in Long will help the O line but we sure could use an elite LT to protect Darnold's blind side.  But for all those upset about picking up three DL during the draft, think again.  The Line positions are not glamor but key on both sides of the ball.  We are not a finished product of course but I am in liking the path we are on.

This year was obviously loaded with DL,  short on pass rushers and WR. I do like the idea of taking advantage of the depth in a draft class. You get a guy in the 6th who might have gone in 3-4 in other years.

Ideally, I"d like to see the Jets get a veteran WR either via trade or FA before Darnold takes over next season. Seems better to have at least one part of the equation up to speed than have both sides adjusting on the fly.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Actually the LT FA market next year looks good. Hopefully 1 or 2 don’t resign.

Going to be interesting what the Falcons do. They have to sign Ryan, Beasley and Matthews. They also have other decent free agents like Coleman. 

I actually liked what we did with this pick as opposed to how many of you feel. The chances of landing a great player this late is extremely slim, so you have to find players that do one thing well enough to project as a role player and hope they can improve the rest of their game to one day become a starter. Outside of Leo we really don't have a true 3-down player on the DL, so you need to fill it with complementary players. From everything I've seen out of Fatuski, he'll have a role in this league as a plus run defender sooner rather than later. 

• Like 4