Round 5 Pick 165: FB Jaylen Samuels

Armsteeld2

Weapon.  LBs will struggle covering him.  Has the ability to run with the ball and has nice vision.  Can return kicks as well.  Solid blocker but not a knockout guy like Nix.  Can line up at TE or out wide and run routes.  ST value as well.  Imagine this: I formation with Bell and Samuels.  Ben raises both arms and Bell and Samuels line up as receivers.  You have Antonio Brown, JuJu, and #84 in the game.  Who does the defense double team?  No LB can cover Bell.  Now you have another player similar to Bell with the same skill set. ? 

THere are some really good corners still left on the board whose off filed /character concerns are Im sure coming into play.

Holton Hill - have no idea why he was suspended for the rest of the season in November 

JC Jackson - the move to Maryland had to be a good thing, but there was some serious stuff back in Florida. 

Kevin Tolliver - i think his football character is in question more than anything though so probably pass. 

Just now, Chieferific said:

Good one. I was trying to think of a good comp for a current player. I know it's early, but I'd expect Samuels to be even better.  

He was pretty successful when they did have him lined up in the backfield. They really just used him wide open though, not sure of the total thinking but he was the swiss army knife and pretty much the key to their offense. Very good receiver, ran a lot of sweeps. 

1 minute ago, JustPlainNasty said:

He was pretty successful when they did have him lined up in the backfield. They really just used him wide open though, not sure of the total thinking but he was the swiss army knife and pretty much the key to their offense. Very good receiver, ran a lot of sweeps. 

Yes, and I may be getting a little ahead of myself but this has been BY FAR my favorite pick this draft. Not sure if that's applause for Samuels or condemnation for the draft itself. 

Just now, Chieferific said:

Yes, and I may be getting a little ahead of myself but this has been BY FAR my favorite pick this draft. Not sure if that's applause for Samuels or condemnation for the draft itself. 

Honestly, I would've been good with this pick in the second, preferably the 3rd. The value is there and the potential use within the offense makes sense. Like I said , had him rated #61 overall and his grade was starter use/ability.

1 minute ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Honestly, I would've been good with this pick in the second, preferably the 3rd. The value is there and the potential use within the offense makes sense. Like I said , had him rated #61 overall and his grade was starter use/ability.

Yeap, if he was taken instead of the OT I would have thought it was a good pick. 

I read somewhere that they were interested in Flowers from Oklahoma. He's similar to Samuels in that he's versatile though not as dynamic. His projected Rd was 5. They also had John David from LSU in for a visit so it's obvious they were looking for a versatile H-Back type (that's why I had a Nall from Oregon St in my 20). I'm thinking they had Flowers targeted in the 5th but when Samuels (projected 4th Rd) was there they jumped at the opportunity to get the superior player.

Archived