6.23 (197) Washington Redskins select Shaun Dion Hamilton, ILB, Alabama

Woz

Doing a quick read on this guy, it sounds like the talent is there, but the size and the injury history shoved him way down. I might have been happier with this pick in the seventh. Will depend a bit on what we gave up to get here.

I don't know much about him, seems injury prone. And coming off injury would he show enough in camp to make roster/practice squad? These are the picks that really make me scratch my head, but hell it's the 6th round 

From the draft discussion thread:

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

6.31 + 7.13 for 6.23 + 7.38

Okay, sure, I cannot fault the gamble. Still worried about the guard situation, but they've apparently decided to forgo any depth this offseason.

Also, it means right now the Redskins will have Mr. Irrelevant. I believe that this is the first Irrelevant pick for the Redskins in the free agency era.

Hard to judge these Bama guys. He was a top LB HS 4* prospect. And is surrounded by 10 guys with that many stars as a recruit or more. Opener against FSU, he nabbed SEC Defensive Player of the Week honors. And voted a captain by his teammates a couple years, which being that loaded with talent, to get that honor can be nothing but good. He had an ACL. The broke kneecap thing is a nothing with no effect. So 1 major injury. I wont down the kid for it.

Worth the selection. Hes had piles of TFLs and around the LOS. Which you look at the SECW & Georgia brigade of RBs hes had to tackle over the past few years. He must be pretty sure handed in wrapping guys up. But he is a Saban guy so have to expect that.

9 hours ago, Eric said:

I don't know much about him, seems injury prone. And coming off injury would he show enough in camp to make roster/practice squad? These are the picks that really make me scratch my head, but hell it's the 6th round 

If he’s not healthy enough to make the team then he’ll go on IR for the season and just rehab, work out, practice, attend meetings and learn. Nothing wrong with him having a redshirt year as s rookie.

9 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Hard to judge these Bama guys. He was a top LB HS 4* prospect. And is surrounded by 10 guys with that many stars as a recruit or more. Opener against FSU, he nabbed SEC Defensive Player of the Week honors. And voted a captain by his teammates a couple years, which being that loaded with talent, to get that honor can be nothing but good. He had an ACL. The broke kneecap thing is a nothing with no effect. So 1 major injury. I wont down the kid for it.

Worth the selection. Hes had piles of TFLs and around the LOS. Which you look at the SECW & Georgia brigade of RBs hes had to tackle over the past few years. He must be pretty sure handed in wrapping guys up. But he is a Saban guy so have to expect that.

He may end up being my favorite pick in this draft when it’s all said and done other than Guice. I think he’s going to have a huge impact when he’s recovered from his knee injury.

He may end up being our dime ILB as a young player until he gets a little bigger and stronger and hopefully eventually becomes a starter.

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Valedictorian of his high school class FYI.

So, I’m just going to take a stab that he can pronounce “Harold?”...

On Grant & Danny they had the sports writer on from Alabama.com and he said that Hamilton is already running and cutting on his knee which he broke the knee cap. He said he was clocked at a 4.7 in the 40 recently so it seems very likely he’ll be good to go when the preseason starts.

He also mentioned that before his knee injury he was a starter over Rashan evans and Ruben Foster - who both were  1st round picks each of the last two years.

went back and watched his game tape and I was wrong about him. This kid is dynamic and tough. Yes he is small, yes he played with 8+ NFL players on defense, yes, he isnt the best tackler, but he does have some very good skills and more than worthy of his pick status. I could have seen him going in the fourth. 

Archived