6th Round Pick (207th Overall): Equanimeous St. Brown [WR; Notre Dame]

Packerraymond

There was no backshoulder ability being shown whatsoever in either of those clips.

The first one he caught it near his chest once he turned around to face the ball.

The second one he basically backpedaled and body catched the ball before falling out of bounds.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

There was no backshoulder ability being shown whatsoever in either of those clips.

The first one he caught it near his chest once he turned around to face the ball.

The second one he basically backpedaled and body catched the ball before falling out of bounds.

Isn't it went you catch opposite side of where you're facing? Maybe good adjustment to the ball is the better words? Either way I thought they were pretty nice plays by him locating the ball.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I don't know... He had to do stop his vertical routes and do 180's  to be in position to catch both throws- that's very good.

I’m not one to preach football gospel... more of an “Amen, brother” guy myself.

But the backshoulder is about driving the defensive back and hitting the stop so that Aaron’s perfect throw isn’t wasted on an imperfectly timed route. Draw the Aaron look of disgust and you might need to change your calendar view from “week” to “month” in order to find the next heated spiral coming your way.

So, yeah, I think that first gif demonstrated an adjustment more than a backshoulder. But Equanimeous can catch the ball with his buttcheeks for all I care as long as he catches it. 

And I’ve seen James Jones catch the ball with his buttcheek. It counted. 

1.54/2.59/4.48 splits at the NFL Combine at 6046/214 is downright elite. 

A 1.54 10 yard split was the 4th best for WRs in the draft class. Only Chark, Callaway, and Sutton had better 10 yard splits. 

So... a player drafted 40th overall,  another drafted 61st overall, and a player that would've been drafted higher than both if he wasn't littered with red flags. 

Let's compare those splits to some NFL Players (All numbers are from the NFL Combine). 

Equanimeous St. Brown 1.54/2.59/4.48

AJ Green 1.56/2.63/4.49

Kenny Stills 1.54/2.58/4.38

DeVante Parker 1.51/2.61/4.45

Marvin Jones 1.51/2.58/4.46

Martavis Bryant 1.57/2.59/4.42

Stefon Diggs 1.53/2.58/4.46

Paul Richardson 1.56/2.58/4.40

Odell Beckham 1.57/2.58/4.43

Julio Jones 1.53/2.54/4.42

Sammy Watkins 1.55/2.59/4.43

Let's add 2 more former UDFAs (and 1 former 2nd Round WR) with similar body types and NFL success. 

*Note* I've always found 10 splits to be much "faster" at Pro Days than the NFL Combine so I typically add a few hundredths to each time.

Pro Days 

Cameron Meredith 1.51/2.57/4.49

Tyrell Williams 1.51/2.59/4.43

Allen Robinson  1.53/2.59/4.47

Archived