Vikings select...Colby Gossett, G, Appalachian St.

SemperFeist

Gossett (at RG, black helmet #70) with a nice run block (on Bilal Nichols, drafted 5th round by the Bears) at the point of attack on this big gain by Rashaad Penny in the Senior Bowl: 

Lance Zierlein on NFL.com: 7 late-round NFL draft picks likely to exceed expectations in 2018

Colby Gossett, OG, Minnesota Vikings 

Drafted: Round 6, No. 213 overall out of Appalachian State.
Analysis: Gossett offers a better combination of size and strength than most of the guards on the Vikings' roster and he showed at Reese's Senior Bowl practices in January that he might be able to acclimate to the jump in competition faster than expected. I expect Gossett to quickly move up the depth chart in camp and become a starter, perhaps as early as this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000932202/article/7-lateround-nfl-draft-picks-likely-to-exceed-expectations-in-2018?campaign=tw-nf-sf189259974-sf189259974&sf189259974=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

On 5/12/2018 at 11:05 AM, Krauser said:

Gossett-Remmers and Remmers-O’Neill are my 2 favorite (least unfavorite) combinations for the right side of the OL at this point. 

you think the left side is locked in or could Gossett start over Easton at LG if Remmers-O'Neill start at RG-RT?

2 hours ago, whitehops said:

you think the left side is locked in or could Gossett start over Easton at LG if Remmers-O'Neill start at RG-RT?

Heading into the draft, I was hoping to upgrade Easton but at this point I think they'll keep him as the starting LG. 

I believe Gossett played exclusively on the right side (RG and RT), so he's not the easiest projection to LG as a rookie starter. 

Easton's main competition at LG might be Compton, though I think Easton will have the advantage there. 

I predict the day one OL will be Reiff-Easton-Elflein-Remmers-O'Neill. If O'Neill falters, I think they'll kick Remmers outside and play Compton or one of the young guys at RG. 

35 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Heading into the draft, I was hoping to upgrade Easton but at this point I think they'll keep him as the starting LG. 

I believe Gossett played exclusively on the right side (RG and RT), so he's not the easiest projection to LG as a rookie starter. 

Easton's main competition at LG might be Compton, though I think Easton will have the advantage there. 

I predict the day one OL will be Reiff-Easton-Elflein-Remmers-O'Neill. If O'Neill falters, I think they'll kick Remmers outside and play Compton or one of the young guys at RG. 

Is O'Neill the day one starter because he's ready...if so, what do you base it on?  Or; is he starting because he's the 2nd round pick and he needs to play in the NFL to be an NFL player?

Me...I'm not sure he will be starting day one at RT.  I suspect Remmers will be playing there until such time as O'Neill is ready...which may not be this season.

9 hours ago, Krauser said:

Ugh. I would hope that your prediction was wrong but I can't conjure anything much better given the options still available (ignoring trades we can only dream about).

Even considering the (low) caliber of that starting five, I agree that projecting Gossett to start at any point this year is overly optimistic. Odds are higher of him never earning a starting spot than of him being anything near an average caliber starter in his first year. I'm wishing him the best of luck overcoming those odds but it is unwise to plan on that happening.

On 4/28/2018 at 8:15 PM, battle2heaven said:

Not much talk here but Gossett should have went 2 rounds higher but fell because of all the top end IOL run in the 2-3rd rounds. 

He will push for the rg spot. Really really like this pick. 

How exactly does that logic work? There were four inside linemen taken at the top of the 2nd round... and that drops all the potential mid-round inside linemen back two rounds? Huh???

18 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Most likely + semi optimistic

RR - Easton - Pat - Remmers - O'Neill

I think come opening day Remmers is better then any RG (by alot) & still the best RT on the squad. But O'Neill inches ahead of Hill in the RT competition. 

I dunno about "likely"... that's pure optimistic.

I think Hill will soon find himself behind Aviante Collins on the depth chart. Collins has much more upside and Hill showed all of his warts at the end of last season. I'm not sure whether O'Neill will be ready to play this year, but I'd love to see it happen. Again, pure optimism.

7 hours ago, Colorado Vike said:

I dunno about "likely"... that's pure optimistic.

I think Hill will soon find himself behind Aviante Collins on the depth chart. Collins has much more upside and Hill showed all of his warts at the end of last season. I'm not sure whether O'Neill will be ready to play this year, but I'd love to see it happen. Again, pure optimism.

Nothing unreasonably optimistic about Remmers being both the best RG and RT on the team. If anything it’s a criticism of how bad the other options at RG seem to be.

If you think Hill is terrible, not sure why you think O’Neill has no chance to beat him out. 

Collins played guard in preseason last year. That’s probably his position going forward: he’s not as long as they like their tackles to be. He took a few snaps as the 6th OL in run formations last year but that doesn’t mean he’s about to win the job as the backup swing tackle. 

Archived