Offensive PlayThings

incognito_man

3 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

The Packers drafted MVS before Eq St. Brown, why does everyone think Eq will make the team before MVS?

WR - Adams, Cobb, Moore, MVS, Eq & Allison. 

Young but talented. Davis has more talent than Allison so what’s his deal? (Clark back to PS)

19 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

The Packers drafted MVS before Eq St. Brown, why does everyone think Eq will make the team before MVS?

Because we know better than the Packers. It's like back when I was bummed we passed on Jamon Meredith sitting on top of the best available list for TJ Lang and then being happy when we fixed it a couple rounds later and got both.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of comments on Joe Philbin and his return to Titletown - he will have a starring role in getting the most out of the Offensive Playthings

“Joe’s an excellent football coach,” Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said. “Obviously gameday recognition of what’s going on, adjustments, in-game adjustments, it’s fluid, but he’s an extraordinary communicator. He … never gets too high, never gets too low and that’s obviously an excellent asset to have on gameday.”

Philbin also handled the offensive meetings when he was the offensive coordinator and will take on those responsibilities again. Because the bright, affable Philbin is also 2 ½ years older than McCarthy, the head coach has always considered him one of his most trusted confidants.

“I think Joe’s the heart and soul of our offense, the way he coaches and helps guys out,” former Packers guard T.J. Lang said in a 2011, just days before Philbin was named Miami’s head coach. “He’s all business, but he does like to have some fun. He has a great sense of humor. He’s serious about what he does, but likes to have fun. That’s just Joe. Just a great guy.”  Former Packers guard Josh Sitton sang the praises of Philbin as well. “He’s an awesome coach,” Sitton said. “Smart as hell"

Guys who become HCs and then return to coordinator positions are typically the HCs best friend. They've sat in that chair and they know exactly what the HC needs in practice and on gameday. Stoked to have Joe back in GB and so is AR:

"Joe and I were very close when he was with us the first stint,” Rodgers said. “He’s a fantastic guy, great coach. I’m excited to get back working with him. “As we’ve seen in the past, change has been good for us. There’ll be a new influx of energy with the defensive staff, and I’m excited about having Joe back.”

• 5 weeks later...

Here's an old article from the previous heyday of the Packers offense under MM /Philbin/ AR - written as a preview of the amazing 2011 season

Tom Silverstein at JSonline wrote it and he goes into depth on MM's philosophy's around match-up vs scheme football.

Totally worth a read and surprisingly enough it shines a little light on the athletes that Das Gute drafted in April

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/129296438.html

"It's Monday evening and Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy is done consulting with the medical staff, speaking to the media, taping his weekly show, lecturing his players and meeting with his assistant coaches. It's the favorite part of McCarthy's workweek, the time where he gets to go one-on-one with the opponent in virtual reality - just him and the remote control, for hours, scanning tape of the upcoming foe and picturing all the ways he's going to pick away at its weaknesses.

When McCarthy is done, somebody is going to be wearing a target on his back on game day

About the time he became offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints in 2000, his offensive philosophy changed. It wasn't as much about the system anymore, it was about the matchups.

"When I became a quality-control coach, when I was spending so much time breaking down defenses, that's when I became so much more matchup conscious," McCarthy said. "Seeing how other people attacked matchups.

"Some people were either systematic or all about the matchups. The ability to put together two schools of thought is something I felt that we were able to do here with our offense.... McCarthy's wish is that his athletes are better than yours, and with his current team that's often the case."

The Packers went on to score 560 points,  an average of 35 per game

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2011.htm

Just realized the name of the thread here....hehe.....innuendo...

I digress. I've been getting the feeling that this season could be a lot like the 2011 season minus the horrid defense. However, we run to set up the pass. I think our running game will be far better than it's been since Ryan Grant was our RB...

Couple more numbers for comparison via Pro Football Reference

2011 OFFENSE             2017 Offense

1st downs                          353                                 307

3rd downs                          189                                  211

3rd down conv %                48.1                               39.3

punts                                     55                                   71

Red Zone score %               65                                    61

One stat I like to look at is the ratio of 3rd downs to 1st downs. When an offense is humming along, they don't need no stinking 3rd downs. Penalties and other game-day anomalies will impact this number, but it does shine a light on offensive efficiency

In 2011, the Packers offense only "needed" a 3rd down 53.5 % of the time, while in 2017 .... 68 % of first downs "needed" a 3rd down . And then when they did need a 3rd down conversion, the 2011 squad was pretty effing amazing in getting it done.

Too lazy to parse it out by Rodgers/Hundley, but we'll surely see improvement in every one of these categories in 2018. The question is whether or not they'll approach the incredible offensive efficiency of the 2011 squad. 

On 6/9/2018 at 12:17 AM, Shanedorf said:

Here's an old article from the previous heyday of the Packers offense under MM /Philbin/ AR - ...... McCarthy's wish is that his athletes are better than yours, and with his current team that's often the case."   https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2011.htm

I think that has only rarely been true in recent years.  Kendrick and Richard Rodgers?  Allison?  Jordy?   Have been needing 12 to make it work for athletes that are NOT better, to large extent.  

One of the things with the 3rd-day receivers is that their length does provide some matchup issues.  Hopefully they'll increasingly provide some matchup challenges as the year proceeds, and in years future.  

Also highly hopeful that Jaire and Johnson will do the reverse, and provide some athleticism advantage at some corner matchups.  

Archived