Vikings select...Ade Aruna, DE, Tulane

SemperFeist

Great pickup by the Vikings, still raw but awesome looking athlete with a ton of upside.  Kind of makes up Holmes selected a little high I feel earlier, great get for them.

6-5 262, 34" arms.

4.60 40 time, 2nd for all DL at the combine

38.5 vertical, 1st for all DL at the combine

10'8" broad jump, 1st for all DL at the combine

4.48 20 yard shuttle, 6th for all DL at the combine

11 minutes ago, Hagar said:

We're going to have a DE play some on offense?! Now that's a new way to keep players involved! ?

Darn technology these days. Good thing they don't text in their picks. Who knows what names would end up showing up

I’m a speed guy. I also like to use the speed to power. If it’s stopped, I have to compress the pocket. That’s what my coaches preach to me. At Tulane, we want to compress the pocket. We want to make it so that the quarterback has nowhere to go. If I’m staying in my lane, I can compress the pocket every time.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/04/07/meet-ade-aruna-a-promising-sleeper-among-this-years-pass-rushers/

He earned degree last May and saw his parents in person for the first time the family in nearly seven years at the graduation ceremony. They stayed for about two weeks and returned home while Aruna continued his journey by himself.

Now they have a reason to come back.

“They have never seen me play football,” Aruna said. “Now that I’ve got the opportunity to play at the next level, hopefully one day very soon I will bring them back and they can watch me play.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/28/from-nigeria-to-the-twin-cities-sixth-round-pick-ade-aruna-has-finally-made-it/

Although Aruna did a few drills Tuesday, he said the biggest questions teams have about him are how he'll read offenses, because the Nigeria native didn't begin playing football until his senior year of high school.

"I don't think I need to show anybody anything (physically)," he said. "The only one thing I need to improve on that I know is just to be a student of the game."

Aruna saw a dip in production in his senior year when Tulane switched to a 3-4 defense. As a junior in the 4-3, he had 43 tackles and five sacks. As a senior, playing more on the interior, he had 25 tackles and two sacks. But, Aruna said he was fine with the defensive change because he hoped it would help Tulane reach a bowl game, though the Green Wave fell just short of that goal.

"Any scheme the coaches think is going to get us better to win more games, I'm all in for it," Aruna said. "It wasn't ever about me."

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/04/tulane_pro_day_parry_nickerson.html

Nearly a decade ago, Ade Aruna left his native Nigeria as a wide-eyed teenager on a mission to provide a better life for his family. Although he originally traveled to America after being afforded the opportunity to develop as a basketball player, he soon found out that his true calling was as a football player. He earned his degree last May and saw his parents in person for the first time the family in nearly seven years at the graduation ceremony. They stayed for about two weeks and returned home while Aruna continued his journey by himself.

Aruna: “I wanted to do something that I’m going to be proud of for the rest of life. The decision to come to America was my decision. My parents didn’t have anything to do with it. They just blessed me and wished me good luck. I came just to do something for my family and bring joy to my country. They have never seen me play football, now that I’ve got the opportunity to play at the next level, hopefully one day very soon I will bring them back and they can watch me play.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/04/28/from-nigeria-to-the-twin-cities-sixth-round-pick-ade-aruna-has-finally-made-it/

Archived