Vikings select...Ade Aruna, DE, Tulane

SemperFeist

like the pick in theory but aruna's age (24) and his bad short-area quickness (3-cone 10th percentile, SS 33rd percentile) give me a lot of pause before getting too excited about aruna's potential. 

if i remember correctly the 3-cone drill is very important for projecting edge players because it simulates the bend they have so it's not encouraging that aruna's is so bad. 

obviously hope he works out but i'm not holding my breath.

fun fact: ade aruna is older than danielle hunter.

21 minutes ago, whitehops said:

like the pick in theory but aruna's age (24) and his bad short-area quickness (3-cone 10th percentile, SS 33rd percentile) give me a lot of pause before getting too excited about aruna's potential. 

if i remember correctly the 3-cone drill is very important for projecting edge players because it simulates the bend they have so it's not encouraging that aruna's is so bad. 

obviously hope he works out but i'm not holding my breath.

Agility is great, but there are a number of good edge rushers who get by mostly on explosion (and still pass metrics like Force Players). 

Ade Aruna (262 pounds): 

• 38.5" vert, 128" broad, 1.59 10-split, 4.60 40
  • 7.44 3-cone, 4.48 20-shuttle

Nick Perry (271 pounds): 

• 38.5" vert, 124" broad, 1.58 10-split, 4.64 40
  • 7.25 3-cone, 4.66 20-shuttle

Bud Dupree (269 pounds): 

• 42" vert, 138" broad, 1.60 10-split, 4.56 40
  • 7.52 3-cone, 4.48 20-shuttle

Jadeveon Clowney (266 pounds): 

• 37.5" vert, 124" broad, 1.59 10-split, 4.53 40
  • 7.27 3-cone, 4.43 20-shuttle

Aruna is in that neighbourhood athletically. 

8 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Agility is great, but there are a number of good edge rushers who get by mostly on explosion (and still pass metrics like Force Players). 

thanks for that list, i knew there had to be some exceptions.

speaking of force players, i could have sworn i saw this year's list but when i went today to see if aruna was on it i couldn't find the article. would you know where it is?

just based on the criteria here:

• Mid Tiers: Pass-rushers with quality 10-yard splits, 40-yard dashes, three-cone times and/or elite vertical jumps, all relative to their density, who also possess non-ideal short shuttle times.

i would assume that ade aruna is mid-tier. 

There wasn't an article, but Justus tweeted out a short list (including Sweat, Landry, Nwosu etc) based on the prospects ranked in the top 50 maybe?

Agree that Aruna might be a mid-tier FP. I think Clowney was mid-tier, but IIRC Dupree and Perry were a full FPs.

Point is just that he's in that ballpark and some of the highest drafted edge rushers have had mediocre or bad agility testing.  

1 hour ago, Krauser said:

There wasn't an article, but Justus tweeted out a short list (including Sweat, Landry, Nwosu etc) based on the prospects ranked in the top 50 maybe?

Agree that Aruna might be a mid-tier FP. I think Clowney was mid-tier, but IIRC Dupree and Perry were a full FPs.

Point is just that he's in that ballpark and some of the highest drafted edge rushers have had mediocre or bad agility testing.  

clowney was a non-force player.

Jadeveon Clowney just missed the Force Players filter, but I don’t think that matters much. This is built to find edge benders, and he’s never been that. He’s an explosive player who often used moves to use an inside counter to get to the quarterback.

http://settingedge.com/clowneymackbarr

nick perry was mid-tier.

Nick Perry, USC (28th overall selection) [Mid Tier]

http://settingedge.com/latebloomers

couldn't find dupree's but it's not a big deal. the part i bolded in the clowney quote adds context to why you shouldn't write off a player because they miss the cutoff. i haven't watched aruna yet but he very well could work around his less-than-ideal agility.

i've learned. i'll give aruna a chance now :D

From our guy Arif....

The Vikings consistently draft athletic edge rushers. Those players don’t always have high-level production — Danielle Hunter is the prototypical example, but Stephen Weatherly and to some extent Ifeadi Odenigbo didn’t have extraordinary production — but they always beat the NFL average in either the three cone or broad jump.

Ade Aruna’s analytical profile isn’t too surprising; he’s created limited production but has exciting athletic tools.

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/crunching-the-numbers-the-analytics-behind-the-ade-aruna-pick/

When the Vikings selected defensive end Ade Aruna in the sixth round of the NFL draft last week, Keith Millard was elated.

Millard, a two-time all-pro defensive tackle for the Vikings from 1985-90, worked Aruna out for three weeks in January to help prepare him for the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl and NFL scouting combine.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/03/ex-vikings-lineman-keith-millard-gets-acclaim-for-helping-train-draftee-ade-aruna/

Ade Aruna came off the board late for the Minnesota Vikings, with general manager Rick Spielman electing to use the 218th overall pick in the sixth round on the raw defensive end out of Tulane. He figures to be another project for head coach Mike Zimmer, defensive coordinator George Edwards and defensive line coach Andre Patterson to mold into a contributor, but one CBS Sports writer believes he could make an instant impact with the team.

Draft analyst Chris Trapasso put together a list of every NFL team's rookie that could make a splash with the team right away, where he included Aruna as a name to keep an eye on in Minnesota. Some may find that a strange pick in a draft that featured a starting-caliber cornerback in Mike Hughes, an offensive tackle in Brian O'Neill and a defensive lineman in Jayln Holmes with the team's first three picks, but he is not just pulling names out of a hat here.

"Going deep in the draft here with Aruna, a size/burst specimen at nearly 6-5 and 262 pounds who quietly ran 4.60 at the combine," Trapasso writes. "Mike Zimmer will put Aruna in clearly defined, one-gap spots in sub-packages, and the former Tulane standout will be an important role player along the Vikings' defensive line as a rookie."

Aruna's big combine performance threw him into consideration for being drafted and some experts had him as high as a fourth-round prospect. The Vikings may think that they have another moldable pass rush freak, as they did with Danielle Hunter, with his selection and they were able to nab him in the sixth round. It could be premature to call him a day-one contributor, but the tools are there to be molded.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Bolt/Ade-Aruna-listed-as-Minnesota-Vikings-instant-impact-rookie-by-CBS-Sports-118107787

The Vikings are preaching patience with the sixth-round pick, anticipating the coaching staff will essentially start from scratch.

Zimmer: “It’s going to be a process with him because he’s a young, raw guy. Probably everything is going to be new: getting into the right stance, taking the right footwork, putting your hands in the right place.” 

http://www.startribune.com/meet-the-vikings-draft-picks-defensive-end-ade-aruna/482368491/

Archived