Redskins UDFA Tracker

Thaiphoon

2 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Everett just signed a contract extension. And he plays ST's. He aint goin nowhere. I see 5 S's. Nicholson and Smithson with DJ, Apke and Everett at SS. 

Sometimes I just don't know where your head is at Turtle. 

I don’t think that matters. It’s not like Everett signed a huge deal with guaranteed money. If we have two rookie safeties who are playing as well as him then it makes sense to go with the cheaper guys. 

The only reason Blanding wasn’t drafted is because he ran a 4.6 forty and not a 4.5 forty. He’s a playmaker with good ball skills. I can totally see him having a Kyshoen Jarrett type impact for this team as a rookie.

I think it’s questionable that Smithson makes the team. I think he has a lot to prove to be able to make it. I like Blanding’s size and versatility more than Smithson. I think Blanding is a better version of Everett and Apke replaces Everett’s special teams skills with even more speed and athleticism.

I’d much rather keep a 6th corner (with Stroman being our punt returner) and a 5th safety, a 5th ILB (with both Hamilton & JHC making it) or a 7th DL (with both McGee and Taylor making it) than a 5th safety.

9 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Why would they move their best (and only good) guard to the less important position?

Why is RG more important than LG? I’d see it as the opposite. The left side of the OL always seems like the more improtant side to me.

Having TWill and Scherff playing next to each other would also be amazing, we could run behind them almost every time and gain huge yardage.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think that matters. It’s not like Everett signed a huge deal with guaranteed money. If we have two rookie safeties who are playing as well as him then it makes sense to go with the cheaper guys. 

The only reason Blanding wasn’t drafted is because he ran a 4.6 forty and not a 4.5 forty. He’s a playmaker with good ball skills. I can totally see him having a Kyshoen Jarrett type impact for this team as a rookie.

I think it’s questionable that Smithson makes the team. I think he has a lot to prove to be able to make it. I like Blanding’s size and versatility more than Smithson. I think Blanding is a better version of Everett and Apke replaces Everett’s special teams skills with even more speed and athleticism.

I’d much rather keep a 6th corner (with Stroman being our punt returner) and a 5th safety, a 5th ILB (with both Hamilton & JHC making it) or a 7th DL (with both McGee and Taylor making it) than a 5th safety.

I do know this staff loves Smithson and he was a bargain, but they wouldnt sign Everett to a contract extension without any intention of keeping him around. Could he get cut, sure, but Apke is still very raw and he only moved up because of his combine. 

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Having TWill and Scherff playing next to each other would also be amazing, we could run behind them almost every time and gain huge yardage.

Don’t think Callahan would want that

I can see that in a 3rd and 1 package or something. Not as a full time deal. Knowing Gruden how we know him, he’d run the other way thinking he’s the master of deception and they’d get stuffed. 

3 minutes ago, mike23md said:

I do know this staff loves Smithson and he was a bargain, but they wouldnt sign Everett to a contract extension without any intention of keeping him around. Could he get cut, sure, but Apke is still very raw and he only moved up because of his combine. 

I don’t disagree with your take. The way I see it though is that Blanding has more experience and a higher football IQ/instincts as a safety than Everett, even as a rookie. That’s why I my comparison for Blanding is Kyshoen Jarrett. 

Blanding isn’t going to blow anyone away physically but his high football IQ allows him to make plays and be in spots that I just don’t see with Everett.

As I said Apke could actually be an upgrade over Everett on special teams because of Apke’s athleticism.

It’s more likely though that you’re right and Everett makes it as our 3rd safety/Main back up and either Apke is the 4th safety or Smithson is the 4th safety, Apke is the 5th and inactive most if not all of the year as he develops. 

5 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Don’t think Callahan would want that

I can see that in a 3rd and 1 package or something. Not as a full time deal. Knowing Gruden how we know him, he’d run the other way thinking he’s the master of deception and they’d get stuffed. 

Yes I agree, but that doesn’t make Mike23 & me necessarily wrong just because our coaches won’t do what seems logical.

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yes I agree, but that doesn’t make Mike23 & me necessarily wrong just because our coaches won’t do what seems logical.

I would think you would pair your two best lineman with the responsibility of protecting the most important person on the field. 

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Gibbs, Hanifin & Bugel sure did in the 80s and early 90s

Lachey, McKenzie, Bostic, Schlereth, Jacoby you do whatever the hell you want. Not the best version but the 91 team always pops in my head first.  It would be hard to keep those guys under contract these days. 

7 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Lachey, McKenzie, Bostic, Schlereth, Jacoby you do whatever the hell you want. Not the best version but the 91 team always pops in my head first.  It would be hard to keep those guys under contract these days. 

That’s the early 90s and McKenzie was better than Schlereth, hence why he played on the left side.

Most of the 80s we had Jaccoby & Grimm on the left side, why?

They were our best OT & best OG.

Teaming up TWill & Scherff may do wonders for the run blocking of our OL.

48 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s the early 90s and McKenzie was better than Schlereth, hence why he played on the left side.

Most of the 80s we had Jaccoby & Grimm on the left side, why?

They were our best OT & best OG.

Teaming up TWill & Scherff may do wonders for the run blocking of our OL.

Yea that side would be great. What about other side. In Gibbs 1.0 days you had pro bowlers on the other side. Now you’d have the entire weak side of the play losing. I trust Callahan in that they are where they are for a reason. Either way one spot would be a massive hole. 

55 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Yea that side would be great. What about other side. In Gibbs 1.0 days you had pro bowlers on the other side. Now you’d have the entire weak side of the play losing. I trust Callahan in that they are where they are for a reason. Either way one spot would be a massive hole. 

I don’t have trust in Callahan the way I used to when he first came here. He doesn’t use a FB, the minute we lost DY and that FB clearing the way for Morris our running game got worse and it hasn’t recovered since.

I was excited to see DY get to call out a pick at the draft this year, that was cool.

Archived