Redskins UDFA Tracker

Thaiphoon

Always felt that the 53 limit should be expanded to open up several spots. Make it 60, with 50 active on gameday !!!

I'm good with the Draft, as is.. but wouldn't object to an added rd. 

Welsh is top 3 of my favorite Redskins' UDFA pickups. I wonder if part of his fall was based on his honesty in suffering from depression. I had him pegged for the 5th round, and was surprised to see him go undrafted.

Calling all Virginia Cav’s!! 

Blanding is intriguing. He has the measurable of former safety Brad Edwards- and the same suspect speed. So is he a Brad Edwards/Mark Murphy comp or a guy he also shared measurable with Madieu Williams?

No one should confuse UVA with Ivy League Colgate ( Murphy alma mater) :) Edwards was also a “super smart” slower than ideal big safety who made up for his speed with intelligence and toughness.  I’m hoping you think he’s more Edwards/Murphy than Mudcap Madieu

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Always felt that the 53 limit should be expanded to open up several spots. Make it 60, with 50 active on gameday !!!

I'm good with the Draft, as is.. but wouldn't object to an added rd. 

Welsh is top 3 of my favorite Redskins' UDFA pickups. I wonder if part of his fall was based on his honesty in suffering from depression. I had him pegged for the 5th round, and was surprised to see him go undrafted.

Could be, I didn’t know about it until PH brought it up. Clearly he was a steal as an UDFA. I hope we try to develop him as a center too. I’m sure he’s a smart guy - most OL from Iowa are - and seeing that he's 10 pounds lighter than than Roullier it may make sense for Roullier to be the future LG and Welsh to be the future C.

30 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Blanding is intriguing. He has the measurable of former safety Brad Edwards- and the same suspect speed. So is he a Brad Edwards/Mark Murphy comp or a guy he also shared measurable with Madieu Williams?

No one should confuse UVA with Ivy League Colgate ( Murphy alma mater) :) Edwards was also a “super smart” slower than ideal big safety who made up for his speed with intelligence and toughness.  I’m hoping you think he’s more Edwards/Murphy than Mudcap Madieu

More recent comparison could be Kyshoen Jarrett. 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Could be, I didn’t know about it until PH brought it up. Clearly he was a steal as an UDFA. I hope we try to develop him as a center too. I’m sure he’s a smart guy - most OL from Iowa are - and seeing that he's 10 pounds lighter than than Roullier it may make sense for Roullier to be the future LG and Welsh to be the future C.

I dont think he will be 306 by time preseason gets here. He has frame enough to hold a few more pounds. And hes a run game bulldozer. Powerful driving legs. I like him at LG next to another bulldozer like TWill. And with his condition, I think he has quality starter potential, so I would make sure hes happy about positioning before jamming him in someplace else.

I do like how he is so open about his condition, and will sit and talk to anyone about it freely and openly. That might of turned teams off, along with the list of medications he takes. But like how he doesnt try to hide anything, and uses it as a platform to help others going through it.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:50 PM, turtle28 said:

That’s true but that’s why they’d also bargain higher roster sizes, especially if the NFL is going to demand an 18 game schedule.

Of course, if there is going to be an 18 game schedule, the NFLPA should be demanding contracts get extended to account for those two extra games a year (i.e. if the contract was $8M for 16 games, it should now become $9M). That's going to be a much bigger sticking point than roster sizes (which could depress contract amounts) or number of rounds in the draft.

21 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Blanding had a pretty bad senior year as I recall. Prior to the 2017 season, he was considered one of the top safety options.

He's a true centerfield safety. He may not have the athleticism necessary to play in the NFL, but he's got the knack for knowing where to be to break up and/or intercept passes.

Mocking 7 rounds is a lot, and if you expand it that is going to make it even worse. A new CBA is up in 2020 I believe, but 18 games with 2 preseason games would be fine, to me. But the draft is fine the way it is. Rounds 5-7 are barely watched anyway. 

The only thing it would do is allow the 1st round on 1 day followed by rounds 2+3, 4+5, the 6-8. One more day of coverage. Don't really care for an all week event in which by day 2, the rest is farely boring. 

http://walterfootball.com/wu2018scobbs.php 

Sources say there were a few reasons why Cobbs did not get selected. A couple of team sources said that Cobbs had off-the-field issues that really hurt him. They also felt that his physical traits were problematic, as illustrated by Cobbs running a very slow 40-yard dash time of 4.64 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine. Another team source said they had a fourth-/fifth-round grade on Cobbs but needed more of a speedy slot receiver, so they passed on the 6-foot-3, 220-pounder. Thus, Cobbs went undrafted because of off-the-field and speed concerns.

After going undrafted, Cobbs signed with the Washington Redskins, which was a good choice. The Redskins are hoping that Josh Doctson emerges as a No. 1 in 2018 while also leaning on Jamison Crowder and Paul Richardson to round out their top three wide-outs. After that, there is an open competition for a few roster spots because Washington will probably keep 5-7 wide receivers. Cobbs will be competing with pedestrian veteran Brian Quick, the final pick in the seventh round Trey Quinn, and some other fringe roster competitors. Cobbs and Quinn have the most upside of the potential backups. With Crowder, Quinn and Richardson being short, Cobbs also brings size to the receiving corps. If Cobbs can show the ability to play on special teams, that would be huge for his hopes to make the final 53-man roster. The Redskins also are a good landing spot because they are an organization that will give a fair shot to an undrafted free agent to make the team. It would not surprise me if Cobbs ends up sticking with Washington and carving out an NFL career. 

Gruden likes to have a few big athletic WRs who can win 50/50 balls. That’s what he mostly had in Cincinnati except for his slot guy.

Don’t forget Marvin Jones was a 5th round pick who has developed into a 61 rec, 1100 yd, 18 yd avg and 9 TD wr.

There’s definitely a chance that Cobbs will eventually have an impact. I wouldn’t mind seeing him drop some weight in an effort to get quicker and faster.

Maybe Gruden can give him some diet tips.

5 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Just watch this kid against Ohio State. Didn’t look bad against the No.4 pick of the draft  I hope he makes it  

HIs match up vs Ward in these highlights was 50/50. It took Indiana two fade passes in the end zone to score over Ward. Cobbs should score over Ward as he’s 4 inches taller than Ward.

His other receptions were vs. Sheffield who was a juco transfer.

His ability to separate is going to be an issue and something to watch. I’m excited we got him but he has a long way to go IMO. Like I said before perhaps he needs to lose some weight and that will help him be quicker/faster but you’d think he would’ve done that before the combine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 5:17 AM, turtle28 said:

Doug Williams may have found us another TE to develop, a Grambling State TE, #84 Christopher Bazile, 6’4, 250 on @hudl http://www.hudl.com/v/28URU7 #hudl

I like what I see out of him in this high light reel in both blocking and receiving.

He looks like a hidden gem. Display some good athleticism's. But what I like is the attitude he has when blocking. He appears to be a nasty attitude  with his blocking. We need a good blocking TE. This guy best days are ahead of him possibly   

7 hours ago, 4209 said:

He looks like a hidden gem. Display some good athleticism's. But what I like is the attitude he has when blocking. He appears to be a nasty attitude  with his blocking. We need a good blocking TE. This guy best days are ahead of him possibly   

We have that with Sprinkle too and we signed Matt Flanagan as an udfa out of Pitt, so we may have three young TEs in our training camp who like to block which is good.

Matt Flanagan Highlights https://youtu.be/fkxP0plZgUI via @YouTube

Archived