Jump to content
Adrenaline_Flux

With the 230th pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Leon Jacobs, LB, Wisconsin

Recommended Posts

A workout warrior who has a long way to go before producing on the field. He fits the way the team has gone this draft. Get a player with a high ceiling and develop him. Let's wait and see how this goes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jags said:

A workout warrior who has a long way to go before producing on the field. He fits the way the team has gone this draft. Get a player with a high ceiling and develop him. Let's wait and see how this goes. 

 

I wouldn't say his production is that bad.  He's not some ILB racking up gaudy tackle numbers, and he obviously hasn't shown he can be a premier pass rushing talent with sack numbers...but i think that's already pretty evident?  That's why he was available to us as late as he was.  He's not going to be a 3-4 rush LBer at the next level.  Doesn't have the skillset for that.  But we're not going to be playing him in that role.  So i'd say that's alright.

I don't think his "production" compares to unfavourably to a guy coming out of a similar role/system/school in TJ Watt, who has seemingly acclimated pretty well to the Pro game so far.  We're not just talking about drafting an athlete without a clue here.  Jacobs is a bit raw in some respects, but the guy can play.  He was a good college player...with the athletic traits to hone into a quality NFLer.

Realistically...who is going to beat him out for that 3rd LBer spot this year?  Blair Brown?  Maybe at first...but how long are they really going to run with a tiny guy at SAM before they decide Jacobs is ready for a shot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lageman was talking about Darius Jackson in one of shows as someone that he thinks could crack the roster at SLB/ST spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Lageman was talking about Darius Jackson in one of shows as someone that he thinks could crack the roster at SLB/ST spot.

Yeah, that seems like a strong UDFA pickup as well.  Basically competing for the same role as Jacobs...who presumably has the leg up as the guy they actually drafted out of the two.  But coming out of a small school where he's dominated a bit with raw athleticism, he's going to have the same sort of adjustment as Jacobs...but an even bigger jump in competition level.  Seem like pretty similar players though.  Will make for an interesting camp battle.  Though there could be room for both of them, depending on what they can do on STs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2018 at 1:49 AM, Tugboat said:

I wouldn't say his production is that bad.  He's not some ILB racking up gaudy tackle numbers, and he obviously hasn't shown he can be a premier pass rushing talent with sack numbers...but i think that's already pretty evident?  That's why he was available to us as late as he was.  He's not going to be a 3-4 rush LBer at the next level.  Doesn't have the skillset for that.  But we're not going to be playing him in that role.  So i'd say that's alright.

I don't think his "production" compares to unfavourably to a guy coming out of a similar role/system/school in TJ Watt, who has seemingly acclimated pretty well to the Pro game so far.  We're not just talking about drafting an athlete without a clue here.  Jacobs is a bit raw in some respects, but the guy can play.  He was a good college player...with the athletic traits to hone into a quality NFLer.

Realistically...who is going to beat him out for that 3rd LBer spot this year?  Blair Brown?  Maybe at first...but how long are they really going to run with a tiny guy at SAM before they decide Jacobs is ready for a shot?

Jacobs reminds me of Dontay Moch. I'd like him to develop better than Moch did, but they have the same build and athletic makeup. I think he'll have to develop moves and become used to the nuances of the pro style of play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2018 at 9:51 AM, Jags said:

Jacobs reminds me of Dontay Moch. I'd like him to develop better than Moch did, but they have the same build and athletic makeup. I think he'll have to develop moves and become used to the nuances of the pro style of play. 

Moves?  Moch?  I feel like you're kinda projecting Jacobs in the wrong spot/role there.  Jacobs isn't going to be a real pass rusher for us.  He'll be a total dud if that's how they try to use him.  I'd imagine if they're smart at least...the goal would be to get Jacobs to develop away from that pass rushing type, into more of a typical off ball LBer.  Where he's already got a pretty good headstart on what i remember Moch being as a prospect.

Plenty of learning to be done for Jacobs obviously, i mean...he's a 7th round pick and he's making at least a partial position switch xD.  But i see more than just an "athlete" and pass-rush specialist there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2018 at 10:53 PM, Tugboat said:

Moves?  Moch?  I feel like you're kinda projecting Jacobs in the wrong spot/role there.  Jacobs isn't going to be a real pass rusher for us.  He'll be a total dud if that's how they try to use him.  I'd imagine if they're smart at least...the goal would be to get Jacobs to develop away from that pass rushing type, into more of a typical off ball LBer.  Where he's already got a pretty good headstart on what i remember Moch being as a prospect.

Plenty of learning to be done for Jacobs obviously, i mean...he's a 7th round pick and he's making at least a partial position switch xD.  But i see more than just an "athlete" and pass-rush specialist there.

No not in terms of position or projections, but in terms of body type/ athleticism/ build. He's very similar to Dontay Moch. If he becomes a pass rusher for the Jaguars, he'll follow in the same footsteps as Moch, but if he becomes a SAM, he might actually become good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×