7th Round Pick (232nd Overall): James Looney [DL; California]

Packerraymond

3 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

The point isn’t his BMI it’s that  he’s really athletic for his size and you stated he wasn’t. 

You wanna fight with Alex you go through my first lol

6 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

The point isn’t his BMI it’s that  he’s really athletic for his size and you stated he wasn’t. 

Would it make you feel better if I said that his athleticism isn't the kind that translates?

He's a tweener with a mediocre first step. 

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Who do you think sold him your info?

Russia

I'm scared he won't tell me why he knows this. I'm guessing I said I was a  university of South Dakota kid. My info got loose on a board once and they were posting all my ****ty 5 and 10k track times from college. I was sad they didn't post I was the baddest mother ******* steeplechase sob that ever came out this state

I've just realised that he is essentially a Mike Daniels type DL. The Datone Jones comp is WAY off base.

Daniels didn't do any testing because of injury however we drafted a similar type of player in Ringo so we have his numbers as a baseline for that type of particular player.

Not surprisingly Looney fits that baseline to the T. He is a tad more athletic whilst Ringo is slightly heavier. The Packers have always liked those squattier but quick DL who's game is based on the pass rush.

The baseline I used was:

Height: < 6029 (6'3")
Weight: > 280lbs but < 315lbs (I thought about having it lower but wanted to fit Payne in there)
40 Time: < 5.10s
Broad: > 9'0"
Vert: > 28"

No 3-cone or Shuttle from Ringo but best guess is:
3-Cone: < 7.7s
Shuttle: < 4.75s

When applied this to the combine database it came up with just 6 players:

Maurice Hurst (no data but fits height/weight) - 5th round (Oakland) - heart condition

Da'Ron Payne - 1st round (Redskins) - clearly the best DL prospect of the group

Trent Thompson - Undrafted - can see why, crappy tape.

James Looney - 7th round (Packers)

Breeland Speaks - 2nd round (Kansas)

Kentavius Street - 4th round (49ers) - torn ACL in private workout

If we wanted Payne we werent going to get him. We traded down on the very next pick. Speaks was selected right after Josh Jackson. We had no shot at Street unless we traded up. We went OL instead of nabbing Hurst who was taken just a few picks later. All we had to do was wait till the 7th round to draft that particular type of player. xD

Seems to have an ok get-off at the snap, but kinda small. Looked like he got pushed back a couple yds by a Weber St. RB, & RB’s can carry him for a another yd or two when he’s latched on. He seems to have a bit of trouble bringing guys down in a clean tackle. Lots of sling-tackles and arm tackles.

Just watched his draftbreakdown tape vs Washington. He's a good gap penetrator but when made to go head to head with an OL he is non existent. It's clear he lacks power and get off in his game.

As of right now he's a practice squad project.

Archived