UDFA Thread

RaidersAreOne

Still curious about Quin Blanding and why he went undrafted.  Got signed now by the Washington Redskins as a UDFA.  But I thought the kid was worth being drafted, freaking A, a lot of undersized linebackers who are not as good of tacklers but comparable in size were picked instead of Blanding if it is a cover issue.  Kid ran an ok 40 time though I thought, had 16 pass defenses and 10 INTs in his four year career, not awful.  Sure might not be the best deep safety in the world in his back pedal but do not ask him to do that and play around the line of scrimmage more like Kam Chancellor.  Wish he would have went to Seattle to fill that type of role, and Chancellor struggled in coverage at times in college and ran a worse 40 than Blanding.  Also happened with Jeremy Cash but I feel Blanding is better in coverage than Cash was....  

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Still curious about Quin Blanding and why he went undrafted.  Got signed now by the Washington Redskins as a UDFA.  But I thought the kid was worth being drafted, freaking A, a lot of undersized linebackers who are not as good of tacklers but comparable in size were picked instead of Blanding if it is a cover issue.  Kid ran an ok 40 time though I thought, had 16 pass defenses and 10 INTs in his four year career, not awful.  Sure might not be the best deep safety in the world in his back pedal but do not ask him to do that and play around the line of scrimmage more like Kam Chancellor.  Wish he would have went to Seattle to fill that type of role, and Chancellor struggled in coverage at times in college and ran a worse 40 than Blanding.  Also happened with Jeremy Cash but I feel Blanding is better in coverage than Cash was....  

Yeah I love Blanding. He's not really a linebacker though. I think he's at his best playing FS because of his diagnosing skills. He's not dissimilar from Deshone Elliot in that I think he's a slow-footed FS. He is a great tackler, but he's not physically strong enough to stack and shed blockers playing SS.

I thought he'd go in the 3rd-4th round at the worst. Very surprised to see him go undrafted.

Skai Moore, Desmond Harrison, Jester Weah, Kurt Benkert, Akrum Wadley and Quin Blanding were the most shocking undrafted guys to me.

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Skai Moore, Desmond Harrison, Jester Weah, Kurt Benkert, Akrum Wadley and Quin Blanding were the most shocking undrafted guys to me.

Riley Ferguson, Hercules, Arrion Springs, Deontay Burnett, Kevin Toliver, Allen Lazard, and Godwin Igwebuike round out my list in addition to those. 

Hercules was getting some 2nd-4th round hype not too terribly long ago, as were Burnett and Toliver. 
Lazard I had gone by at least the 5th.
The fact that Danny Etling was drafted ahead of Riley Ferguson is mind boggling.
Godwin I had as at least a 6th
Arrion was getting some hype leading up to the draft. I figured he'd sneak into the 7th. 

14 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Yeah I love Blanding. He's not really a linebacker though. I think he's at his best playing FS because of his diagnosing skills. He's not dissimilar from Deshone Elliot in that I think he's a slow-footed FS. He is a great tackler, but he's not physically strong enough to stack and shed blockers playing SS.

I thought he'd go in the 3rd-4th round at the worst. Very surprised to see him go undrafted.

Yeah I do not think he could play linebacker either but if one is just looking at tackling in open space he can get players down on the ground consistently and has been playing at a high level FR-SR year every year.  Guess some teams do not value that compared to assumed upside with good testing athletically.  Many safeties I think got drafted just on their blazing 40 time alone, if they show that speed they do not really care if they miss tackles or have not been a dominant player four straight years in a row.

Skai Moore I assume was not drafted because of his injury history but who knows, still as a coverage linebacker he is really good, had 3-4 INTs every year for four years in a row minus that year he missed.   He did not fall back after the injury this year that much I thought, and again coverage alone as a linebacker is really impressive but sure did not have some blazing 40 time either.

Weah was a surprise, I thought he was a very smooth WR no doubt with fine hands, and Wadley played great football all year long and showed special teams ability as well.  Benkert not being picked was surprising as well, to me Danny Etling and Russell Gage were two of the big shockers to be actually drafted, especially Etling.  McFadden was a surprise with his length and ball skills but did have a so so year, he should have obviously came back to school.  Same could be said for Holton Hill but glad the Vikings got him.  Trenton Thompson also I thought showed enough at Georgia potentially to be drafted as a 3/4 DE.  Burnett made some super impressive catches this year and showed a lot of ability in the slot potentially I think, sure did not time as most thought but worth being selected.  

21 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Only guy who can rival a healthy Greg Zuerlein imo. 5 of 5 from 50+ in his college career. He's new to football, so he has massive potential. Went 38/43 overall (88.4%) with the Gators despite those being the only two years of football he's played.

You okay with a developing kicker though? a mistake from his position can cost your team games.

57 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah I do not think he could play linebacker either but if one is just looking at tackling in open space he can get players down on the ground consistently and has been playing at a high level FR-SR year every year.  Guess some teams do not value that compared to assumed upside with good testing athletically.  Many safeties I think got drafted just on their blazing 40 time alone, if they show that speed they do not really care if they miss tackles or have not been a dominant player four straight years in a row.

Skai Moore I assume was not drafted because of his injury history but who knows, still as a coverage linebacker he is really good, had 3-4 INTs every year for four years in a row minus that year he missed.   He did not fall back after the injury this year that much I thought, and again coverage alone as a linebacker is really impressive but sure did not have some blazing 40 time either.

Weah was a surprise, I thought he was a very smooth WR no doubt with fine hands, and Wadley played great football all year long and showed special teams ability as well.  Benkert not being picked was surprising as well, to me Danny Etling and Russell Gage were two of the big shockers to be actually drafted, especially Etling.  McFadden was a surprise with his length and ball skills but did have a so so year, he should have obviously came back to school.  Same could be said for Holton Hill but glad the Vikings got him.  Trenton Thompson also I thought showed enough at Georgia potentially to be drafted as a 3/4 DE.  Burnett made some super impressive catches this year and showed a lot of ability in the slot potentially I think, sure did not time as most thought but worth being selected.  

I'd have bet big money that Danny Etling would not be drafted. Why on earth would someone think he could play in the NFL? He was abysmal at LSU. One of the worst starting QB's I saw play all season long. Maybe I caught his worst performances, but I watched LSU maybe 6-7 times where he was the QB and each time I became visibly ill. And despite not being an LSU fan, I screamed at my tv, "HOW CAN YOU NOT F'N FIND A QB BETTER THAN THIS GUY??? YOU'RE LSU, NOT NIU!"

58 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

You okay with a developing kicker though? a mistake from his position can cost your team games.

You're shortsighted if you're not willing to be patient with a talented rookie kicker. Like any other position, kickers usually take some time to develop. However, this logic applies more to kickers with powerful legs than it does accurate kickers. If a guy who is supposed to be an accurate kicker with an average leg isn't getting the job done, it might not be worth the wait.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'd have bet big money that Danny Etling would not be drafted. Why on earth would someone think he could play in the NFL? He was abysmal at LSU. One of the worst starting QB's I saw play all season long. Maybe I caught his worst performances, but I watched LSU maybe 6-7 times where he was the QB and each time I became visibly ill. And despite not being an LSU fan, I screamed at my tv, "HOW CAN YOU NOT F'N FIND A QB BETTER THAN THIS GUY??? YOU'RE LSU, NOT NIU!"

True but in a way he was good, compared to Brandon Harris he was a upgrade for sure.  I would maybe go UDFA for Etling but no way drafted.  Was also surprised Tanner Lee was picked, didn't he throw two pick sixes in one game this year.  He had four games of throwing 3 or 4 INTs just this year alone, that is flat out awful!  Sure big tall and has a ok arm but his performance this year for Nebraska straight up sucked.  Lagow I thought showed more upside than Lee did but Lagow was good mostly last season not this year.  With Etling it was strange especially for New England to do it, they could have got Chase Litton who has way more upside than Etling along with a number of other QBs that were there.  

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but in a way he was good, compared to Brandon Harris he was a upgrade for sure.  I would maybe go UDFA for Etling but no way drafted.  Was also surprised Tanner Lee was picked, didn't he throw two pick sixes in one game this year.  He had four games of throwing 3 or 4 INTs just this year alone, that is flat out awful!  Sure big tall and has a ok arm but his performance this year for Nebraska straight up sucked.  Lagow I thought showed more upside than Lee did but Lagow was good mostly last season not this year.  With Etling it was strange especially for New England to do it, they could have got Chase Litton who has way more upside than Etling along with a number of other QBs that were there.  

Yeah at least Lee has a strong arm and developmental traits. Etling has like...nothing going for him. Other than he played in a pro style offense. He's not accurate, he doesn't make good decisions, he doesn't have a great arm, he isn't very mobile, and he isn't big. There aren't even developmental traits there IMO.

On 4/28/2018 at 7:57 PM, Ozzy said:

Damn, Hill is a big time pickup for sure and they are waiting confirmation that the Vikings got Kamryn Pettway as well potentially.

Surprised Hercules was undrafted for sure, they also got Jake Wieneke at WR and Matt Linehan son of Scott Linehan was invited to the Vikigns Mini camp.  

Holton Hill failed 8 drug tests at Texas and was invited to leave the football program. He is a louche' character. A good fit for the Vikings.

On 4/28/2018 at 8:22 PM, Rrrrrrrams said:

simmie cobbs to the bears

On 4/28/2018 at 8:22 PM, Rrrrrrrams said:

simmie cobbs to the bears

To the Redskins. The Redskins poached Cobbs and Cam Sims after they agreed to udfa deals with other teams. Redskins FO are real princes.

Archived