Arsenal, Pt. X: Boom-Xhaka-Laca!

Dr LBC

So the latest bits being kicked around silly season:

- Sokratis is said to be having his medical done this week.  Reported fee is £15m.

- Fellaini on a free being floated out there.  Personally, this would be akin to waiting just until the sting in the nuts from the kick of selling Giroud to Chelsea was almost gone and then getting kicked square in the nuts again.  Particularly when you factor in that Fellaini is said to be seeking a significant improvement on his 80k/wk he was making at United and more than a 1 year contract.

- Stephen N'Zonzi vs Abdoulaye Docuoure - I genuinely don't see enough of an improvement upon Xhaka in N'Zonzi to justify that buy, particularly given his age; 3 years ago (i.e. before we bought Xhaka, this would have been a more justifiable buy).  Docuoure, however, I'd happily take with the added benefit that he's already logged PL minutes and actually outproduced Matic and Kante in terms of most possessions won in the midfield 1/3 last season.  The bigger drawback - Watford aren't likely to sell cheap, nor do they have reason to.

- Benjamin Pavard vs Çağlar Söyüncü - If any of these two materialize, I feel like it just plain can't/won't be Pavard because of the price-tag Stuttgart have put on him (52M+; which probably means at best-case-scenario he'd cost 45M) who I still feel is a bit redundant of Holding (granted, I believe Holding is one defender we have who is probably going to benefit the most from actually getting proper defensive training/coaching).  Soyuncu is someone I like and he definitely fits in the mold of the old school Arsenal defender, but I'm not positive he walks straight into the starting XI and is likely thrown into that scenario where we try to find the best future pairing of him, Holding, and Mavropanos (clearly, you always want to be 3-deep in quality at CB, but back lines are as much about chemistry, so you rather would have two sets of interchangeable pairs than three guys where there's one man out on the regular).

11 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Lichtsteiner_2.jpg?itok=y6h_q4Fi

Lichsteiner on a free is official. 

Assuming it's a short-term contract and assuming we keep Bellerin and he's coming in as 2nd choice, I like the signing a lot. 

I do too. It's not flashy and not many people are going to be very excited about it but it's a great depth option and someone who can help see games out. 

15 hours ago, The LBC said:

Fellaini on a free being floated out there.  Personally, this would be akin to waiting just until the sting in the nuts from the kick of selling Giroud to Chelsea was almost gone and then getting kicked square in the nuts again.  Particularly when you factor in that Fellaini is said to be seeking a significant improvement on his 80k/wk he was making at United and more than a 1 year contract.

I'll drive him to the Emirates

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Jack Wilshere leaving. Sad day really.

He is Arsenal through and through, but never really hit the heights expected of him, mainly due to injury.

Hopefully he can find some consistent football somewhere mid-table or overseas.

Edited by khodder

7 minutes ago, khodder said:

He is Arsenal through and through, but never really hit the heights expected of him, mainly due to injury.

Hopefully he can find some consistent football somewhere mid-table or overseas.

I'm very interested to see where he goes next. It wont happen but I think he'd do well to take a chance in Spain. If he goes to somewhere mid table in England I could see his career falling a part a bit. I hope he goes some place where he does well though, always been a pretty likable guy and could still turn out to be quite a decent player.

6 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

I'm very interested to see where he goes next. It wont happen but I think he'd do well to take a chance in Spain. If he goes to somewhere mid table in England I could see his career falling a part a bit. I hope he goes some place where he does well though, always been a pretty likable guy and could still turn out to be quite a decent player.

He won't, but he needs to get away from London.  It doesn't get talked about as much among non-domestic Arsenal supporters but Jack's off-the-pitch behavior is pretty suspect (no, I'm not talking about cigarettes and hookah, I'm talking stuff a bit more severe).  Sounds like both Palace (would be a good fit for him, IMHO) and West Ham are both kicking the tires.

We've also apparently raided another teenager from Barca (Joel Lopez) - 6 of one, half-dozen of another as to if this one goes the Bellerin route or the Toral route.

And some links (I figure if Arseblog puts it out, the source is at least something a bit more substantial than the usual "throw crap at the wall and hope it sticks" variety publications) of us to Ever Banega popping up.  I do believe - I'd have to double-check - but the report was that Emery's words to Jack were that with the current squad and the targets they have in mind there weren't going to be many minutes for Wilshere.  Emphasis on the italicized part.

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

We've also apparently raided another teenager from Barca (Joel Lopez) - 6 of one, half-dozen of another as to if this one goes the Bellerin route or the Toral route.

And some links (I figure if Arseblog puts it out, the source is at least something a bit more substantial than the usual "throw crap at the wall and hope it sticks" variety publications) of us to Ever Banega popping up.  I do believe - I'd have to double-check - but the report was that Emery's words to Jack were that with the current squad and the targets they have in mind there weren't going to be many minutes for Wilshere.  Emphasis on the italicized part.

Don't forget the Fabregas route.

5 hours ago, khodder said:

Don't forget the Fabregas route.

That's such a needle in a haystack, particularly in the current state of football (have to remember Fab broke out and was playing at 16 in 2003 - that's 15 years ago); how many 16-year-olds do you see playing in the premier division of any of Europe's leagues - aside from maybe Scotland?  It's a different beast now.

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

That's such a needle in a haystack, particularly in the current state of football (have to remember Fab broke out and was playing at 16 in 2003 - that's 15 years ago); how many 16-year-olds do you see playing in the premier division of any of Europe's leagues - aside from maybe Scotland?  It's a different beast now.

Haha I was more talking the Barcelona Academy - Arsenal - Barcelona - Arsenal Rival route.

8 minutes ago, khodder said:

Haha I was more talking the Barcelona Academy - Arsenal - Barcelona - Arsenal Rival route.

We'll see.  He shined a contract extension at Camp Nou to sign with us.  Basically looks like a redux of a young left-sided Bellerin: 15, really pacy wingback who is more midfielder than defender, but maybe he can grow into that.